Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skill Level For Tournament Play

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-04, 19:42

Until recently I mostly played against the Robots on BBO. Since the pandemic I have played in events such as the daily SYC games and in the ACBL regional tournaments. I have noticed several obviously very experienced players who think it's cute to describe their skill level as "novice". There has been much discussion of people who over-report their skill, but I haven't seen this topic before. To me this is no different than failing to disclose, or lying about, one's bidding and carding methods. Mind you, I can live with those who choose to keep their skill level private. But I don't think gross understatement of one's skill should be allowed in tournament play.

#2 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-04, 20:35

Where it becomes a problem is online BBO clubs (eg the Beginners Intermediate Lounge: BIL).
The TD's in that club use the skill level when choosing substitutes. I once played in that tournament and a Novice was recruited as a sub. his rank was 'J'.
Of course, the problem with ranks in BBO is that people - particularly in the Bridge demographic (60 years and older typically) can lose skills at a variable rate.
Also, a persons skill level depends to a large extent on the quality of their partner.
I have seen 2 passed out more than a few times.
No amount of expertise will compensate in those situations (whatever you think about the merits of a 2[clubbs] opening.
The problem that you are alluding to (I think) will remain until Bridge adopts a rating system with a rolling average - like every other major sport: mind, physical or otherwise.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-04, 22:54

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-January-04, 20:35, said:

The problem that you are alluding to (I think) will remain until Bridge adopts a rating system with a rolling average - like every other major sport: mind, physical or otherwise.

See here, http://www.bibo-zahlen.de/BIBOE.pdf

#4 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-05, 02:06

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-January-04, 22:54, said:

An excellent site! Just a shame that the number of tournaments that are incorporated is rather limited.
A pity that BBO does not generate something similar.
I think it would address many problems.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users