BBO Discussion Forums: A nice ending - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A nice ending Don't play it the way I did

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,893
  • Joined: 2019-October-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland

Posted 2020-August-06, 00:28

13 people made 3NT+1 for 430 and 70%. I found 4♥-2 but it is makeable with a nice (imo) ending.
Here's the hand.

Here's the moment where it's makeable but I stuffed it up.
South to play and make 4 more tricks.

Edit - yes 5 Posted Image
Fortuna Fortis Felix
0

#2 User is offline   PeterAlan 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 617
  • Joined: 2010-May-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-August-06, 03:52

♥Q, ♦Q overtaken, ♠K, ♦ and you'll make 5 tricks rather than 4.
0

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,346
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2020-August-06, 04:17

View PostPeterAlan, on 2020-August-06, 03:52, said:

♥Q, ♦Q overtaken, ♠K, ♦ and you'll make 5 tricks rather than 4.


As the cards lie, but potentially embarrassing (give one hand ♦Jx and the 3 spades). Basically anything where you retain the club ace after cashing Q♥ and playing Q♦ will do for 4 tricks as the cards lie, you can allow the Q♦ to hold and exit a small club
0

#4 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-August-06, 04:24

Please ignore: see Peter Alan's post below :(

Pilowsky "13 people made 3NT+1 for 430 and 70%. I found 4♥-2 but it is makeable with a nice (imo) ending. Here's the hand."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you, Pilowski :) Death defying 1st round ♥ finesse :)

Pilowsky "South to play and make 4 more tricks. Here's the moment where it's makeable but I stuffed it up."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Five tricks, you mean. Interesting ending :) Difficult to get right :(
Declarer cashes ♥Q and overtakes ♦Q with dummy's ♦K, squeezing East ...
A. If East retains more than 1 ♠, then North exits in ♦, immediately, end-playing West:
to give the remaining tricks to North or South.
B. If East keeps only 1 ♠, then North cashes ♠A, before end-playing West in ♦s.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2020-August-06, 06:13

0

#5 User is offline   PeterAlan 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 617
  • Joined: 2010-May-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-August-06, 05:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-August-06, 04:17, said:

As the cards lie, but potentially embarrassing (give one hand ♦Jx and the 3 spades).

I confess that I just gave a quick response to the double-dummy position, but I think you can always guarantee 4 tricks after W follows to ♦Q and you overtake.

If E has followed to this ♦ (leaving the possibility that it retains ♦J) then either:

  • you decide to play W for that card, as before (♠K, ♦), or

  • you accept 4 tricks by playing another ♦ without cashing ♠K. If E wins this, then a ♠ return gives you all of dummy, so E returns its only ♣. (At the start of the 6-card position, E held the 3 remaining ♠s because of the 2♠ call, so 2♦s means singleton ♣. Presumably E will have pitched a ♠ on ♥Q.) If you duck this, then either E holds the trick and must play a ♠ or W overtakes and is endplayed in ♣s. Covering minimally works too.

If W doesn't follow to ♦Q you're guaranteed 5 tricks by overtaking and playing another ♦, as E can't have a ♣.

Nigel, I don't see how a possible squeeze on E needs to come into your picture. After ♥, ♦, ♠, ♦ with W on lead there are only 2 cards left: a ♦ return gives the rest to dummy, and a ♣'s into S's AJ.

Paul had already lost the ♠ and ♦ Aces, so needed 5 tricks for his contract.
0

#6 User is offline   pilowsky 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,893
  • Joined: 2019-October-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland

Posted 2020-August-06, 05:57

View Postnige1, on 2020-August-06, 04:24, said:

Thank you, Pilowski :) Death defying 1st round ♥ finesse :)



From the 2♠ bid I played West for the ♥J - but yes, I was feeling pretty smug Posted Image. Also, I just discovered that the 'y' at the end of my name was a clerical error on my Father's birth certificate - Nige1. So I'll just have to lyve with it. c'est la vye.
Fortuna Fortis Felix
0

#7 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-August-06, 06:11


You are right Peter Alan. Sorry. I was mistaken :(
And sorry about misspelling your name, Pilowsky :(
Consolation: Nobody spells my name (Guthrie) correctly :(
Anyway, not a good start to the day :)

Pathetic attempt at recovery:
If the 5-card ending had been as on the left, with South on lead..
then 2 rounds of ♠s squeeze East :)

0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users