BBO Discussion Forums: Preempted by Clubs? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preempted by Clubs?

Poll: Preempted by Clubs? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you letting this go?

1. 5H (14 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

2. X (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

3. PASS (12 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. other - there are always "others" ;-) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-April-30, 19:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-April-30, 16:27, said:

What I'm saying is that if you use those rules there is almost no such thing as a 3 opener for you at this seat and vul. KQJ10xxx and an ace or a KQ is a 1 opener for us. KJ109 to 7 and an ace is 6.5 tricks and well withing the tolerance for 3 for us.

Sir,
You are absolutely RIGHT..As said, we do not like to preempt a non passed partner AT THIS VULNERABILITY in the second seat.Our restrictions are not applicable at all in the 3rd and 4th seat. It is somewhat comparable to our 4C and 4D openings which are a transfer to 4H and 4S resp. using the formula 0-1-2 as per the vulnerability.They enable the responder to use the next step bid to find out outside controls.Our 4H/S openings are as per the formula 1-2-3.This certainly deprives us of the pre emptive 4C./D bids ., But then there is hardly ever the opportunity for those bids.THANKS for your constructive comments

#22 User is offline   sandybar 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-01, 00:41

Bidding 3H, red is a better hand than a broken 7 card suit. 5H.

#23 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-01, 04:23

Probably both are -1. I bid 5 however on the principle of the lesser risk. Opponents may apply this principle too, now I can dbl.

Maarten Baltussen

#24 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-01, 15:02

At IMPs, I'm bidding. I agree the most likely result, maybe even with odds >50%, is -4 IMPs (with both contracts -1), but I'm happy to give away 4 IMPs for a chance at +14 - or at least +10 or +7.

At MPs, I'm passing.

#25 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-01, 16:24

This is an awkward discussion. It depends so much on your agreements. I find myself agreeing with almost everyone in this thread at times and disagreeing with almost everyone in this thread at times. As someone who often plays systems that doesn't have a weak two available, I'm used to pre-empting rather light at the three level, often with 6 cards. Second seat vulnerable is an exception to this, as it is for many players, and for good reason.

I think, given the AQXX in your hand, 2-7-4-0 shape on this auction seems extremely likely. I must admit, I have read the response stating that it is 2-7-4-0 shape, but, I did come to this conclusion prior to reading it. Furthermore, I think it would be poor bridge to add any value to the hand because it holds a club void (assuming it has one), what happens if it goes P-3H-P-4C? 4C is forcing, natural, and you'll never be able to ensure you get to the right contract, although, you may luckily fall into it.

So, I'd never provide extra values for holding a void alongside KJTXXXX when deciding if I want to preempt in 2nd seat while vulnerable. Especially not a club void, I'm not scared to compete over clubs later. So... a second seat preempt must still have some significant extras here. Some crappy diamond holding like JXXX, or even QXXX, is not really extras, you're just preempting a potential diamond fit.

If diamonds break 5-1, I'm probably not defeating 5. If they break 4-2, I'd be surprised not to defeat it. If we're not making 5, well, I probably won't agree with partners preempt. I'm expecting:

xx KJTxxxx QJxx - or
Kx KJTxxxx Qxxx -

If partner put down something like:

Kx KJT9xxx Jxxx - or
Qx KJT9xxx Jxxx - or
Kx KJT9xxx xxxx -

I'd be pretty upset.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users