BBO Discussion Forums: Natural Bid Taken Away - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Natural Bid Taken Away

Poll: Natural Bid Taken Away (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you bid?

1. Pass (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Double (As An Artificial Bid) (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. 2NT (As An Artificial Bid) (1 votes [4.76%])

4. Three Clubs (As a Free Bid) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Three Clubs (Free Bid + Some Spade Support) (1 votes [4.76%])

6. Three Spades (Slight Overbid - My Opinion) (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

7. Other (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

If you pass, and the opponents arrive in 3D or 3H

1. Would you bid 3 Spades Now - YES (14 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Would not bid 3 Spades - NO (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Double (Competitive) to Show Scattered Values (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

If you were at favourable vulnerability...

1. Would you bid differently - YES (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Not bid differently - NO (18 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-30, 04:01

As you probably have gathered by now my regular partner and I play a basic 2/1 system with a few standard conventions added on. There's holes in our bidding artillery and yesterday was a prime example. Playing a small four team (IMPs) round robin at the club, I got caught out with a Michael's Cue Bid Overcall.

It took my natural 2 bid away - We play 1M-2M as a Constructive Raise with 3+ trump support and 8-11 HCPs. The hand is at the upper end of our raise, 2 honours in the trump suit, 11HCPs, with a ruffing value, though the singleton K is hardly an asset here. What do you think is best here, and as always thank you for your replies.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-30, 04:35

I think it's fairly normal to play here 3S as constructive NF and 3H ( which is not in your poll) as a limit raise, which is what I would choose if it can be (or always is) 3-card.

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 05:04

Agreed - a 3H cue to show an invitational raise looks about right. Even with the soft values, this hand is stronger than a simple raise.

If you made it weaker (replacing the DK with a small diamond, for example), I would accept the push to 3S with good shape. Partner should make some allowances for me maybe bidding one level higher than I really wanted to.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 07:59

View Postpescetom, on 2019-July-30, 04:35, said:

I think it's fairly normal to play here 3S as constructive NF and 3H ( which is not in your poll) as a limit raise, which is what I would choose if it can be (or always is) 3-card.

Thank you. They do say you learn something everyday. That's easy to remember too.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2019-July-30, 09:37

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-July-30, 07:59, said:

Thank you. They do say you learn something everyday. That's easy to remember too.

Unusual vs Michaels. https://www.larryco....unusual-notrump

The basic principle is cue bid (in this case of their known suit) is limit raise or better.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 10:46

Whichever of 3 or 2NT is being played as a low-ODR limit raise seems fairly obvious playing basic agreements. If having the luxury of FNJs then 3 (showing a spade fit plus a club suit) is a strong alternative. See page 44 of Partnership Bidding at Bridge for more on FNJs in this auction!
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 11:51

I agree with the idea of bidding 3h has a limit raise kind of hand, but I'm leaning toward a double here. If they get to 3c or 3h, I'll hit it. If they get to 3d, I'll bid 3s. Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but if south has hearts and clubs, it looks like bad news for whoever wins the auction.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 12:05

View PostHardVector, on 2019-July-30, 11:51, said:

I agree with the idea of bidding 3h has a limit raise kind of hand, but I'm leaning toward a double here. If they get to 3c or 3h, I'll hit it. If they get to 3d, I'll bid 3s. Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but if south has hearts and clubs, it looks like bad news for whoever wins the auction.

Your heart suit lacks quality for defence and you have a spade fit. This is IMPs and I'd much rather try for a vulnerable game rather than try for a non vulnerable penalty.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 12:07

As HardVector points out, you can’t X to say that is my bid. It is penaltyish in at least 1 of their suits. At IMPs, red, I’d be worried about missing a game bonus if we end up in 3 something Xed by me or partner.

It is admitted that when stolen a level, a fit you’d have given a level lower can be given higher if you are in the upper range. You definitely have a 2.5 S call but it doesn’t exist in the bidding box. So 3S be it.

#10 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 14:06

With my reg partner we have 2NT=limit+ raise and 3M preemptive both with 4+ cards. I'd re-evaluate the hand to 9, 10 when counting the HJ which is not working. So we're in game only when partner has extras.
Pass in tempo to re-open in case they end up in D? On a good day you X them in 3C...

#11 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 02:12

Nothing wrong about 3 as you must have something to get there.

However, the idea about double is that you need more information about their hands- it could be that clubs is the RHO suit after all.
you and later partner get to vote again later. IMPS are won by being right and unless we have decent clubs not likely to have a game.
We shall see?

#12 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 05:02

There is a case for 2N being lebensohl. (in competition, I think 2N should always be leb if you play it, otherwise the brain ache of working out when to use it is enormous)
So
3 of a minor must be a suit with 3 card support
3 is a good raise with 4 cards and no stopper
3 is pretty much any old rubbish with 4. Likewise 4 with 5 card support, even at red v green.
3N 2 spades and minors stopped
2N followed by pass or 3 must be to play
2N followed by 3 is a good 4 card raise with a stopper
2N followed by 3 or 4 is a values raise with 3 cards
2N followed by 3N 2 spades and all other suits stopped

I do not like doubling 2 as it gives opp two extra bids (pass or rdbl) which a smart pair will have assigned meaning to
I guess it means "partner I have very short spades if I double again it is penalties"

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 09:44

This hand presents a mild problem with such good C which we are not sure are of value. I am not a big fan of 3H but it could work out just fine. Partner has an eye on the colors and will stretch to bid a vul game in which case they will be pleased with this dummy.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:17

SIRS..I learnt something entirely new .I never imagined that the 1S-(2C)-3H shows a hand just like this.I shall be thankful if any one of the 3H bidders explain why 3H shows such a hand and not either a GF with strong heart suit or a shortness in hearts. My answer to the first question is I bid 3S as we play the LTC.8 losers with good three card support..This is our bid in any position. And last question why opener can not have a heart suit ? Why imagine that hearts is opponents suit and not diamonds ?

#15 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:31

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-July-31, 10:17, said:

SIRS..I learnt something entirely new .I never imagined that the 1S-(2C)-3H shows a hand just like this.I shall be thankful if any one of the 3H bidders explain why 3H shows such a hand and not either a GF with strong heart suit or a shortness in hearts. My answer to the first question is I bid 3S as we play the LTC.8 losers with good three card support..This is our bid in any position. And last question why opener can not have a heart suit ? Why imagine that hearts is opponents suit and not diamonds ?

Are you looking at a very small screen? The opponent bid a Michaels TWO SPADES

#16 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:34

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-July-31, 10:17, said:

Why imagine that hearts is opponents suit and not diamonds ?

It looks like you missed the explanation of 2S, which shows 5-5 in hearts and a minor (the Michaels convention). It is normal to use acue bid of their suit as a raise, just like if they had overcalled 2H.

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:46

Sir.THANKS.Indeed I was looking at a small screen.,After seeing more carefully I agree with the 3H bidI I DID see the RHO bid as 2C and not 2S.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:55

View Postsfi, on 2019-July-31, 10:34, said:

It looks like you missed the explanation of 2S, which shows 5-5 in hearts and a minor (the Michaels convention). It is normal to use acue bid of their suit as a raise, just like if they had overcalled 2H.

Sir,thanks for correcting my oversight (or shall I say undersight).Of course the 2S bid is a routine Michaels bid.I misread it as 2C and not 2S on my mobile screen.So sorry and thanks again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users