BBO Discussion Forums: Negative double? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative double?

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 373
  • Joined: 2016-May-01

Posted 2019-June-14, 04:52

I'd welcome some advice here. At pairs MPs, I hold, game all dealer N:

Playing acol, I open 1♣ expecting to rebid 1NT to show 15-17. 2♠ was explained as 'intermediate' i.e. showing good ♠ and opening values or just below.

Normally we'd play X as negative, i.e. forcing and showing some strength elsewhere. But after a jump overcall in ♠? I hesitated a long time. I can't call NT, I can't rebid ♣, can I really show a 4-card ♥ suit at the 3 level? Or a 3-card ♦? Surely I'm not strong enough to cue-bid 3♠ - especially with my doubleton and partner passed first round.

After agonising over this, I passed. I thought, just possible it was a penalty double, like in old-style Acol.

You can guess what happened next. 2♠x just made :o , for a rank bottom for us. I apologised and partner was very understanding, albeit not best pleased!

Incidentally, partner held ♠852/♥K42/♦Q754/♣KQ2. I think with his hand he should have passed 2♠ anyway. But he's a very enthusiastic bidder!
0

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,854
  • Joined: 2011-June-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK Near London
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-June-14, 07:50

passing 2S X with 4 hearts is a strange choice to say the least :lol:
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond
2

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,317
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted 2019-June-14, 08:42

Partner’s bid is not that enthusiastic! As he has sound values, just lacking the 4th H. Maybe he has to cover for you, if you are / aren’t expected to re-open with a strong NT, or a weakest hand with long C?
0

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,340
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-June-14, 08:57

Where does he get his 8th trick from ? Did he have a 7th spade and dummy have an entry ? Otherwise the bidding may have been a lucky win but the defence let it down.
0

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 980
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2019-June-14, 09:08

Playing 4M Acol I'd open 1♥, the suit below the doubleton. The only response that might embarrass you is 2♦, but you can still rebid 2NT with 15-16 and it doesn't promise a ♠ stopper.

As everyone else said, you should have respected your partner's negative double - even though his hand was off shape and not quite right to compete - and bid 3♥. Most doubles (especially at a low level) are for takeout.
0

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2019-June-14, 10:00

Just rebid 3♥happy to have a 4th♥.
0

#7 User is offline   661_Pete 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 373
  • Joined: 2016-May-01

Posted 2019-June-14, 12:17

View Postneilkaz, on 2019-June-14, 10:00, said:

Just rebid 3♥happy to have a 4th♥.
Yes that's what my partner told me :unsure: . Thanks everyone for the feedback. We all get it wrong sometimes!
0

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,366
  • Joined: 2012-March-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Illinois
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-June-14, 14:00

Partner had enough value for a negative double but lacked the 4 ♥ necessary for the double with a balanced hand. In any case, if a ♥ contract turns out to be poor because of partner's lack of a 4th ♥, then that's on him/her.

Bid 3 ♥. Your LHO has shown values which makes your three AJ's lose a little value. So I don't see upgrading this 15 count and making a stronger bid.
0

#9 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-14, 14:19


661_Pete writes 'I'd welcome some advice here. At pairs MPs, I hold, game all dealer N. Playing acol, I open 1♣ expecting to rebid 1NT to show 15-17. 2♠ was explained as 'intermediate' i.e. showing good ♠ and opening values or just below.Normally we'd play X as negative, i.e. forcing and showing some strength elsewhere. But after a jump overcall in ♠? I hesitated a long time. I can't call NT, I can't rebid ♣, can I really show a 4-card ♥ suit at the 3 level? Or a 3-card ♦? Surely I'm not strong enough to cue-bid 3♠ - especially with my doubleton and partner passed first round.After agonising over this, I passed. I thought, just possible it was a penalty double, like in old-style Acol.You can guess what happened next. 2♠x just made , for a rank bottom for us. I apologised and partner was very understanding, albeit not best pleased!Incidentally, partner held ♠852/♥K42/♦Q754/♣KQ2. I think with his hand he should have passed 2♠ anyway. But he's a very enthusiastic bidder!'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CyerYeti seems right: Just looking at the 2 hands,
you both seem to have judged well, in the bidding, especially at match-points.
You were unlucky that 2♠X made.

0

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,265
  • Joined: 2010-April-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamilton, Canada
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-14, 14:28

View Post661_Pete, on 2019-June-14, 12:17, said:

Yes that's what my partner told me :unsure: . Thanks everyone for the feedback. We all get it wrong sometimes!
partner knew when they doubled you might have to bid heats at 3-level.
Why are you being shy?
Sarcasm is a state of mind
0

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 2013-August-03
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Variable private
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-June-15, 00:46

Sirs.perhaps quite a few ,if not all, moderns may open this hand 1NT. And then a 2S overcall would make things rather problematic.Any idea how to proceed acting honest (1NT openers hand does not deny a spade stopper)
0

#12 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,317
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted 2019-June-15, 01:08

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-June-15, 00:46, said:

Sirs.perhaps quite a few ,if not all, moderns may open this hand 1NT. And then a 2S overcall would make things rather problematic.Any idea how to proceed acting honest (1NT openers hand does not deny a spade stopper)

The OP plays weak NT from what I understand, si can’t open a strong NT.
After a strong NT and a 2S over call, it is not an issue. Either N punts 3NT betting on a S stopper opposite, or he has a way (Lebensohl / Rubensohl) to show a GF hand w/o stop. Then you end up in 4 something which will not be a piece of cake either.
0

#13 User is offline   nekthen 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 534
  • Joined: 2008-September-21

Posted 2019-June-15, 11:09

View Postapollo1201, on 2019-June-15, 01:08, said:

The OP plays weak NT from what I understand, si can’t open a strong NT.
After a strong NT and a 2S over call, it is not an issue. Either N punts 3NT betting on a S stopper opposite, or he has a way (Lebensohl / Rubensohl) to show a GF hand w/o stop. Then you end up in 4 something which will not be a piece of cake either.


As a weak NT player, I would choose to open 1N AJxx is a lousy combo. Happy to regard this as a 14 count.
I am a fan of opening minor before major on 4-4 hands but 1♥ is also fine, if that is your agreed style.

While we all would dbl with one less spade and one more heart, I still prefer it to pass. It says I have points and no spade stop ok p will believe I have 4 cards in hearts, but life is messy.

One rule that I ask my partners to obey, is when in doubt bid. Did we agree 1S 4H is a splinter? If in doubt bid! Is partners double penalty? If in doubt bid! Is 2N lebensohl or natural? If in doubt bid!
0

#14 User is offline   steve2005 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,265
  • Joined: 2010-April-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamilton, Canada
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-21, 19:33

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-June-15, 00:46, said:

Sirs.perhaps quite a few ,if not all, moderns may open this hand 1NT. And then a 2S overcall would make things rather problematic.Any idea how to proceed acting honest (1NT openers hand does not deny a spade stopper)
3NT values without a stopper (Lebensohl)
will probably end up in 4C
Sarcasm is a state of mind
0

#15 User is offline   HardVector 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 553
  • Joined: 2018-May-28

Posted 2019-June-23, 10:54

Just out of curiosity, does opening 1♣ in Acol promise you having the balanced 15-17, or could you have a normalish distributional 12 count? After the negative double, I'm thinking you should bid 4♥, not 3. I'd bid 3h with xx Kxxx Kx AKxxx or something similar.

Just as an aside, you didn't discuss with your partner how high your negative doubles go? I normally play them as "on" after every suit bid up to 4♦.
0

#16 User is offline   Tramticket 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,142
  • Joined: 2009-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent (Near London)

Posted 2019-June-23, 13:04

View PostHardVector, on 2019-June-23, 10:54, said:

Just out of curiosity, does opening 1♣ in Acol promise you having the balanced 15-17, or could you have a normalish distributional 12 count? After the negative double, I'm thinking you should bid 4♥, not 3. I'd bid 3h with xx Kxxx Kx AKxxx or something similar.


1C will either be 15+ balanced or unbalanced. Your example hand would open 1C, but it doesn't look much weaker than Pete_661's hand. Both are 3H bids.

For what it's worth, I would have opened 1H. It seems to me to be pointless to agree to play 4-card majors, then choose to open a minor anyway with this hand. But I know that others have other opinions!
0

#17 User is offline   HardVector 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 553
  • Joined: 2018-May-28

Posted 2019-June-23, 19:54

View PostTramticket, on 2019-June-23, 13:04, said:

1C will either be 15+ balanced or unbalanced. Your example hand would open 1C, but it doesn't look much weaker than Pete_661's hand. Both are 3H bids.

For what it's worth, I would have opened 1H. It seems to me to be pointless to agree to play 4-card majors, then choose to open a minor anyway with this hand. But I know that others have other opinions!

I think with my example hand you should bid 3h, but I disagree with the idea of bidding just 3h with the real hand. I agree with you that the auction was already messed up by not opening 1h. After messing it up, however, I think you need to show the extra value and hope that partner doesn't play you for a big 6/4.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users