BBO Discussion Forums: Slam investigation? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam investigation?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,213
  • Joined: 2019-October-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE England
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-June-23, 13:10



MPs playing Acol, what do you do here?
0

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2024-June-23, 13:23

4NT (RKC) looks OK. I would be tempted to bid 4♠ instead, but partner likely does not have a club control (no splinter last round either, if you play those here) and cannot take charge from there. We will just have to gamble on partner having a diamond control. We have such a strong hand that we should not pass. Unfortunately after the successful preempt we can't investigate a slam more sensibly, so we just have to take our best guess.
0

#3 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,224
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2024-June-23, 13:28

36 points accounted for so the remaining 4 sit with West with distribution to justify 4♥. On that basis slam looks to be on the cards.

Alternative scenario:
West opened a 10-pointer 0463 and jumped in an attempt to stiffle the ♠ contract. Maybe slam is still on the cards.
0

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,782
  • Joined: 2010-November-21

Posted 2024-June-23, 13:49

Unless your partner will think it shows first round control, 4♠. Of course partner will be worried about a club control, but they can always bid 5♦ with a diamond control and no club control.

If partner thinks 4♠ shows first round control, I'll bid 5♣.

Yes I could end up in slam off 2 key cards, but I think given the bidding the risk of being off two top diamonds is bigger than the risk of being off 2 keycards.
0

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,731
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2024-June-23, 14:10

View Postakwoo, on 2024-June-23, 13:49, said:

Yes I could end up in slam off 2 key cards, but I think given the bidding the risk of being off two top diamonds is bigger than the risk of being off 2 keycards.

A problem with this is that if you are missing both top diamonds - which does seem very unlikely - you've almost guaranteed the opponents' first three tricks of A, K, ruff, so haven't really gained anything.

4nt gives us a chance of finding grand too, so seems practical to me. (Edit - actually, maybe no better than the alternative, so ignore the grand part.)
I have nothing worth contributing, bye
0

#6 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,213
  • Joined: 2019-October-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE England
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-June-23, 15:21

I chickened out and passed thinking if I did Blackwood or cue bid clubs I would not find enough information about the diamond holding to know whether slam was good or not, and I wasn't sure if partner's jump was based on firepower or distribution. I should have just gone for it anyway, this was the full deal:



13 tricks on a diamond lead which was worth 72%. A meaningless score as it was a four table movement with the last round cut off for time reasons (England were playing which was the theory for the poor turnout which was unusually low for Thursday evening).
0

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,450
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2024-June-23, 15:22

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-June-23, 13:23, said:

4NT (RKC) looks OK. I would be tempted to bid 4♠ instead, but partner likely does not have a club control (no splinter last round either, if you play those here) and cannot take charge from there. We will just have to gamble on partner having a diamond control. We have such a strong hand that we should not pass. Unfortunately after the successful preempt we can't investigate a slam more sensibly, so we just have to take our best guess.


I'm happy bidding 4♠, the fact that partner could not splinter looks positive to me.
If partner can now show 4NT even keycards then I'm happy with 6♥, if not then I press on with control bids hoping she didn't have a freak hand or misbid.
0

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,450
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2024-June-23, 15:31

View PostAL78, on 2024-June-23, 15:21, said:

this was the full deal:



I think the double was silly.
0

#9 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,213
  • Joined: 2019-October-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE England
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-June-23, 17:15

View Postpescetom, on 2024-June-23, 15:31, said:

I think the double was silly.


Par for the course at this club.
0

#10 User is offline   akwoo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,782
  • Joined: 2010-November-21

Posted 2024-June-23, 17:38

View PostAL78, on 2024-June-23, 15:21, said:

I wasn't sure if partner's jump was based on firepower or distribution.


I understand you might be playing with a partner where you don't have this agreement, but the jump to 4♥ should always be on firepower - bids to game based on distribution should splinter.

I don't think West's hand was worth a 4♥ bid; especially when playing weak NT 3♥ is enough. Ironically in this case it gives you an extra round of control bidding making it easier to find the slam.
0

#11 User is online   bluenikki 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 2019-October-14

Posted 2024-June-23, 18:18

View PostAL78, on 2024-June-23, 15:21, said:

I wasn't sure if partner's jump was based on firepower or distribution.


Wait! Did you think the jump might be intended to produce a _minus_? And if there were no black honors and two additional red cards, why would you care?
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users