• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak two bids responses after overcall

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:18

ggwhiz, on 2017-May-11, 14:19, said:

Partnership wise, only if you are playing solo or going rogue. What on earth makes you think that is 2 bid?

I admit that NV it's probably a 3H bid.

#22 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:21

RedSpawn, on 2017-May-11, 15:41, said:

Agreed.

Let me introduce you to what we bridge players call a PASS button. You have a very distributional hand that MIGHT pay handsome dividends if you will allow your partner to describe his hand first (if he has a hand that contains opening points and some quick tricks.) Your hand is MUSH until you let him describe what he has 1st. You should refrain from committing the partnership to contracts in 1st or 2nd seat with 0.0 quick tricks, especially when you have recycle bin values.

Let's be clear, your call of PASS does not mean you are done for the auction. It just means you have a hand that doesn't fit any of the agreed-upon opening criteria for a normal or preemptive bid. Give your partner a chance to describe his hand and see if there is some kind of fit that can be made.

Please click link below regarding the general rules for a weak 2 bid. Notice how it says NO VOIDS or side 5 card suits.

Stay Inside the Lines of the Coloring Book

Weak 2 bids are narrowly defined preemptive bids for a reason. It allows your partner to quickly determine what you hold and decide what, if anything, he should do next.

Distribution on the board is already suspect when you have a 6 card or longer suit, but to add a VOID to the mix as the possible shape of your weak 2 hand AND a side 5 card minor suit, just makes bridge life utterly complicated and needlessly miserable for the respondent.

So, now a weak 2 could mean you have a crappy 6 card suit, with a crappy 5 card suit on the side, and a void?

Let me call 1-800-TELE-PATH and see if they can determine if your weak 2 bid is plain vanilla or this hot mess of a hand.

Please color inside the black lines of the weak 2 bid coloring book. It will save you and your partner a lot of headaches and misunderstandings.

Copy & Paste of hyperlink below:

The Weak Two Bid
Edited and updated 6-14-11

WHAT IS A WEAK TWO BID?
An opening bid of 2D, 2H, or 2S (not 2C)
Describing a hand with a strongish 6-card suit
Along with 7-9 HCP (6 or 10 HCP are exceptions, particularly 10).
It can be compared to an opening three bid, the difference is that a three bid normally shows a seven-card suit.

The distribution of the bidder’s Weak Two hand rates to be
6-3-2-2, or
6-3-3-1, or
6-4-2-1.

Notice: no five card side suits, no voids.

Your tone is inappropriate for such a forum. You have your style of weak 2-bids; other players have theirs. I doubt that any of the players in the recent USBF finals would pass that hand as dealer. Some might have a 2-suited bid available; others would bid 2H or 3H. If you want to define weak 2s to a narrow range, that is, of course, your right. And that's very playable. Not "wrong" in any way. But please don't pretend that "this is what a weak 2 is and anything else is wrong." Just not so.

And let's can the attitude, shall we?

Cheers,
mike

#23 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:24

mycroft, on 2017-May-11, 15:50, said:

Yeah, if that's a weak 2 for you, then partner is going to get when you pull the penX, and hopefully not put you in slam "to protect our 800".

I bet, however, that were you partnering Caitlynne, that pulling the penalty double would be the *second* partnership limiting move you executed on this auction, *even if the pull was right*.

ISTR on another thread discussing "don't care what your standards are for a weak 2, but define them and stick to them." This discussion is 100% "we have fundamentally different ideas of what is a weak 2". Both think they're right. Both, for their partnerships, are. There are just some partnerships that shouldn't exist :-)

Re: Kantarbridge: Great *introduction* to weak 2s aimed at beginners and low intermediates. I assume everyone realizes that there are also books for advanced players, and they sometimes contradict what we teach new players?

Didn't say I was right or wrong about opening 2H on that hand (I really think it's closer to 3H). Just said that if I opened a weak 2 on that hand, I hope my partner wouldn't expect me to sit for a penalty X of 2S.

And I don't think I'm "right" about what a weak 2 is. Depends on your style. If I were playing with Kaitlynne (don't think that's going to happen), I would play her style of weak 2s, and then I would always be passing her subsequent penalty Xs.

Mike

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:26

steve2005, on 2017-May-11, 19:16, said:

There are sane people who will open a 6-6 as weak 2. Obviously this is pretty rare. A little more likely is 6-5. If this is your partnership style pulling adouble is reasonable with such unexpected distribution.
If you open a off-shape hand outside partnership understanding it isn't so clear.

Maybe I should have made my example:

void
QJTxxx
QT9xx
xx

I wouldn't sit for a X of 2S on that, either. I was just trying to make the point that virtually nothing is 100% hard and fast in bridge. 98%, sure. 100%, not so much.

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-May-12, 01:33

100% PeNalty Double.Not interested at all in playing your suit(would have raised your suit). If one is playing Ogust bids ,is a 2NT bid still an Ogust bid (we play it that way) or are there different meanings to it?

#26 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-May-12, 01:38

miamijd, on 2017-May-11, 19:26, said:

Maybe I should have made my example:

void
QJTxxx
QT9xx
xx

I wouldn't sit for a X of 2S on that, either. I was just trying to make the point that virtually nothing is 100% hard and fast in bridge. 98%, sure. 100%, not so much.

I feel that the hand is not a 2H opener in that real sense.For such a hand 2D multi.,and 2H/S weak showing that major and another 4/5 card minor suit are better adaptations.

#27 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 02:30

There is a style of weak two played by Zia and others known as Trent Twos. These are a little stronger than traditional weak Twos (9-12 I think) and have few limits on distribution, so 6-5 is ok. The idea is that, having limited your hand by opening a two, you are free to rebid other suits to show your distribution. However even opposite a Trent Two I think a double would be penalties, although opener might pull it with an extreme two suiter, something that would not occur using traditional Twos.

A full description of Trent Twos is given in Granovetter's book on conventions. Fantunes uses similar two bids, although perhaps these are more effective if you get additional information from partner.

#28 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 03:19

Caitlynne, on 2017-May-11, 08:56, said:

The traditional and still mainstream view is that is unequivocally for penalties and that opener MUST pass or else responder would be justified in shooting opener.

aguahombre, on 2017-May-11, 11:32, said:

I think I prefer the venom to the tolerance in this case. The venom of Caitlynne's post, not venom at the table, of course.

Removing this Double because he didn't have a weak 2-bid in the first place is pretty much playing with himself...literally and figuratively.

RedSpawn, on 2017-May-11, 15:41, said:

Agreed.

Let me introduce you to what we bridge players call a PASS button.

MrAce, on 2017-May-11, 16:01, said:

LOL

You might find this article educational. It makes the same point as that of miamijd but with a broader brush, covering more ground. You may not respect miamijd (or me) but I hope all of you respect Josh on this.
(-: Zel :-)

#29 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 04:12

Zelandakh, on 2017-May-12, 03:19, said:

You might find this article educational. It makes the same point as that of miamijd but with a broader brush, covering more ground. You may not respect miamijd (or me) but I hope all of you respect Josh on this.

Excellent link. Thanks Zel.

#30 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2017-May-12, 08:02

The title of Josh's article hits the point, IMO. "Experts" have strategies and agreements which are often effective. But, these are variances from an established foundation -- solid principles of which they are well aware through years of experience.

This is an I/A forum, and we do a disservice to players striving to raise their game to the advanced level by advocating 'screwing around'. They first should have a base, or they won't even know they are varying from it. Once a player has instilled the foundations of partnership trust (and this is a partnership game), then might be the time for a pair to experiment with clever deviations.

Even at the expert level, the knowledge that partner's bids might be other than they appear can have negative effects. Something as simple as not knowing whether partner has 5,6, or 7 cards in the suit of a preempt can knock us out of competition on a given hand. Shell-shock from past experience can keep us from 'lawful' advances.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#31 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 08:15

miamijd, on 2017-May-11, 13:30, said:

While you generally are right, suppose I made a weak 2H bid on:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

You really would expect me to sit for a penalty X of 2s? I hope not.

Cheers,
Mike

miamijd, on 2017-May-11, 19:21, said:

Your tone is inappropriate for such a forum. You have your style of weak 2-bids; other players have theirs. I doubt that any of the players in the recent USBF finals would pass that hand as dealer. Some might have a 2-suited bid available; others would bid 2H or 3H. If you want to define weak 2s to a narrow range, that is, of course, your right. And that's very playable. Not "wrong" in any way. But please don't pretend that "this is what a weak 2 is and anything else is wrong." Just not so.

And let's can the attitude, shall we?

Cheers,
mike

Mike,

This forum has had vehement discussions about topics and people who made a certain bid were called "amateurs/non-experts" through insinuation and innuendo. Also, certain people have said that the thought of bidding "_____(fill in the blank)" is "insane" to them which makes one wonder what exactly do they think of the person making the bid?

Such language is condescending in tone and nature, and yet, I have yet to see anyone publicly condemn such language or colored comments, except the persons offended by the remark.

This leads me to believe that such snarky comments are fair game for the forum (especially when a thought is considered alternative and non-mainstream).

Back to the discussion at hand, I have 4 questions that I am sincerely interested in hearing answers:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

Question 1: Why do you think this hand with 0.0 quick tricks is a "reportable" hand from 1st or 2nd seat? 3rd seat anything goes. It doesn't fit the profile of a normal weak 2 hand and to classify it as a weak 2 bid only increases interpretation error for the respondent.

Question 2: If you are in 1st or 2nd seat, why do you think you partner needs this information about your hand shape before he describes his own hand/shape/features?

Question 3: How do you know from looking at your hand in 1st and 2nd seat that the opposition have game and that you need to make an "alternative/unorthodox" weak 2 bid to disrupt them?

Question 4: Why is it so hard to pass the 1st round of bidding with recycle bin values? This hand doesn't fit a normal weak 2 profile and clearly is not better than an average 10 HCP hand. You might be able to describe this hand if your partner ends up making a takeout double.

#32 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-May-12, 08:52

I would open that hand 2 even if one of the hearts were a black card.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#33 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 09:09

Tramticket, on 2017-May-12, 04:12, said:

Excellent link. Thanks Zel.

Please note the examples Josh uses:

AQJxxx
xxx
x
xxx

a 6 card suit with 3 of top 5 ♠ honors -- no qualms here. This is not moth-eaten.

x
KQ9xxx
Q10xxx
x

Note this heart suit contains 2 of the top 3 honors AND a intermediate 9. This is workable when you have SUIT QUALITY consistent with a standard weak 2 bid.

x
xx
QJ10xxx
AJ9x

Note here the example uses a suit contained 3 of 5 honors--this makes the ♦ suit workable since it has 3 of 5 honors. Notice, however, the nice quality of side club suit. It has 2 of top 4 honors and a nice intermediate 9 for a 4 card suit!

NOTE: None of his examples use a void situation.

Now, let's go back to the original proposition.

void---UGH--the ugly void again, which was in none of Josh's practice examples.
QJTxxx -- the heart suit has 3 of 5 honors which is consistent with weak 2.
x-- singleton here is consistent with eligibility for weak 2 hand.
QTxxxx--this club suit quality is very poor and makes the weak 2 bid even more unappetizing, notice this club suit versus the AJ9X♣ suit in the example above (night and day suit quality difference).

Here is the problem. I am not sold on this method yet because I know what people are vying for is to relax Josh's practice example from:

x
KQ9xxx
Q10xxx
x

to this:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

There is not even a quick trick, King or Ace to be found anywhere in the latter hand.

This is a very slippery slope.

#34 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-12, 10:01

aguahombre, on 2017-May-12, 08:02, said:

The title of Josh's article hits the point, IMO. "Experts" have strategies and agreements which are often effective. But, these are variances from an established foundation -- solid principles of which they are well aware through years of experience.
This is an I/A forum, and we do a disservice to players striving to raise their game to the advanced level by advocating 'screwing around'. They first should have a base, or they won't even know they are varying from it. Once a player has instilled the foundations of partnership trust (and this is a partnership game), then might be the time for a pair to experiment with clever deviations.
Even at the expert level, the knowledge that partner's bids might be other than they appear can have negative effects. Something as simple as not knowing whether partner has 5,6, or 7 cards in the suit of a preempt can knock us out of competition on a given hand. Shell-shock from past experience can keep us from 'lawful' advances.

Bridge-teachers confirm that beginners love conventions. Arguably, they want to run before they can crawl and they sometimes confuse themselves with sophisticated, ineffective, and mutually incompatible methods.

IMO, however, teachers should take care to avoid adopting a dog-in-the-manger attitude. Teachers should allow beginners to learn simple, effective, modern methods, even those they don't like, because it can save beginners from having to unlearn obsolete and inferior methods, later.

A recent example: in Scotland, most Bridge-teachers base their lessons on a natural system. Instead, Ying Piper taught basic 2/1 to a female primary-school class. She included simple conventions like transfers (so that they would have less to unlearn later). After a few lessons, a team of her girls came 2nd in a national schools competition. Partly because they played simple consistent effective methods.

#35 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 10:37

RedSpawn, on 2017-May-12, 08:15, said:

Back to the discussion at hand, I have 4 questions that I am sincerely interested in hearing answers:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

Question 1: Why do you think this hand with 0.0 quick tricks is a "reportable" hand from 1st or 2nd seat? 3rd seat anything goes. It doesn't fit the profile of a normal weak 2 hand and to classify it as a weak 2 bid only increases interpretation error for the respondent.

Don't know why you think it is important to have quick tricks. Weak twos promise some amount of offense playing in that suit. They don't really promise any defense. Partner won't be making penalty doubles expecting much of anything from us and at lower levels we are showing the second suit.

Have you ever heard of the adage "six-five come alive"? This was promulgated by ACBL Hall of Famer Grant Baze. Basically it means with 6-5 shape it often pays to bid even if you think it's nuts. He said something along the lines that with 6-5 hands you should generally bid and keep on bidding until someone gets doubled, you or them (he was exaggerating for effect, but only a little). With 6-6 this applies even more. The reason for this is the shape makes the hand very powerful trick taking wise on offense. If you find a good fit in either suit, or both suits, you can take many more tricks than you normally would take with the same number of high cards in a flatter hand. At the same time, you don't take many tricks against the opponent's contract. These conditions favor lots of bidding, as you tend to either make your contract or it's a profitable sacrifice.

You probably wouldn't object to opening weak two on xx QJTxxx xx Kxx? Opposite xxxx Kxxx xxx Ax which hand takes more tricks, that or the 6-6 hand? How is opening the weak two likely to get you in trouble?

Question 2: If you are in 1st or 2nd seat, why do you think you partner needs this information about your hand shape before he describes his own hand/shape/features?

Your shape is way more likely to be of interest to partner than his shape to you. With 6-5 or 6-6 you want to show both suits if convenient, without overstating your high card values. Opening 1 would be too much, partner would expect way more in high cards and that can cause problems down the line. Opening 2, partner would expect a lot less shape and only a tiny bit more in high cards. Your offense is better than the average weak two if he raises, if he bids 4h to make you are probably in good shape, and as a sac you will do well also.

By starting to show suits immediately, at least if you have heart fit partner may be able to barrage the opponents out of missing their spade fit, or at least disturb their accuracy. You have a better shot at playing 4H instead of 5H. And you might be able to get the second suit in.

Question 3: How do you know from looking at your hand in 1st and 2nd seat that the opposition have game and that you need to make an "alternative/unorthodox" weak 2 bid to disrupt them?

You don't, but you are way below average HCP wise so the opponents will be stronger than average and will have game more often than average. And if partner has the points you should be able to at least get to all your heart games that you are entitled to.

The main time opening might backfire is if partner has a strongish hand but misfit hearts, and a big club fit, and you miss 5c because 2H continues all pass. Those of us who favor opening think that good things will happen substantially more often than bad things.

Question 4: Why is it so hard to pass the 1st round of bidding with recycle bin values? This hand doesn't fit a normal weak 2 profile and clearly is not better than an average 10 HCP hand. You might be able to describe this hand if your partner ends up making a takeout double.

It's better than the average weak two hand offensively. And you want to be bidding a lot on hands where partner merely has a fit. On many of those hands partner will not be strong enough to act if you had not. If he has a takeout double you probably do OK either passing or bidding.

#36 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 12:04

Stephen Tu, on 2017-May-12, 10:37, said:

Don't know why you think it is important to have quick tricks.

Have you ever heard of the adage "six-five come alive"? This was promulgated by ACBL Hall of Famer Grant Baze. Basically it means with 6-5 shape it often pays to bid even if you think it's nuts.

Thank you for your quick response.

Please note that each of Josh's example in his article used a weak two that had a least a quick trick factor of at least 1.

AQJxxx = 1.5 quick tricks

KQ9xxx = 1.0 quick tricks

QJ10xxx = 0.0 quick tricks
AJ9x = 1.0 quick tricks.

=================================================

Proposed weak 2 hand in BridgeBase Forum:

void = 0.0 quick tricks
QJTxxx= 0.0 quick tricks
x = 0.0 quick tricks
QTxxxx = 0.0 quick tricks

=================================================

Why the fascination with the requirement of quick tricks? ;)

It tends to keep BOTH partners "honest" in the representations they make about the utility and the quality of the hand they open in the auction. Further, it prevents what I am calling the "dilution" effect. This is when we take a time-honored and passé concept like 2 quick tricks for an open and either dilute or remove it. Then the race to the bottom starts.

Then we open with 1.5 quick tricks.

Then we open with 1.0 quick tricks.

Then we open with 0.5 quick tricks.

And on some BBF threads, we open with 0.0 quick tricks even with a 4-3-3-3 distribution because being the 1st to open at all costs reigns supreme and we can sort through all the attendant collateral damage and confusion in the post mortem.

See link below for BBF discussion on opening on junk.

http://www.bridgebas...pening-on-junk/

=======================================================================================================

I am not surprised that Josh's weak 2 examples are consistent with what one expects in a weak 2 bidding structure. It's when we take the spirit of what Josh says in his article and attempt to stretch it and apply it what I call "compromised" or "defective" hands that is worrisome.

Proposed Weak 2 Hand:
void = YELLOW ALERT! Departure from ordinary expectations. . .Proceed with caution.
QJTxxx= suit quality, OK, even though none of the trump honors are quick (you do, however, have 3 of 5 honors).
x = singleton, OK here
QTxxxx = RED ALERT! Compromised side suit quality (contains 1 of top 4 honors. . .and the Q♣ honor, while guarded by an intermediate, isn't even a quick honor--getting control of the suit may present problems during play :blink: )

I do not subscribe to taking Josh's examples of weak 2 bids and applying them to hands lacking a hint of 1/2 quick tricks and containing poor suit quality as in (QTXXXX).

With respect to 6-5 come alive, see link below:

Case example

Cut and paste here:

"Every Bridge player knows the playing potential of a 6-5 hand . You “come alive” with this distribution and bid. You are usually rewarded if partner has a fit for one of the suits. Using the rule of 20 , 6-5’s can be opened with as little as 10 HCP so that you can “fire the first shot” .

The spirit of 6-5 come alive is that your suits (as in plural) contain working values that are respectable. A case can be made for QJTxxx being respectable. QTxxxx is just not respectable. Sorry, no leeway here. It is just not a respectable suit with decent working values especially if you are going to apply a rule of 20 "mentality" for 6-5. The performance of the club suit is highly suspect and does not, in my opinion, warrant departing from standard operating procedure.

I expect the Q♣ to be taking several "smoke breaks" during the board play.

Same situation with Larry Cohen's discussion of 6-5. https://www.larryco....nter/detail/698

All, and I mean, each and every one of his examples contain suits with some quick tricks in them.

Finally, I would be wary of taking concepts meant for constructive bids and applying them to a preemptive scenario. I have tried that as well and have been admonished. ;)

#37 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 13:28

RedSpawn, on 2017-May-12, 12:04, said:

Why the fascination with the requirement of quick tricks? ;)
It tends to keep BOTH partners "honest" in the representations they make about the utility and the quality of the hand they open in the auction.

I don't think you understand WHY and when people have quick trick requirements for opening bids. So you think there is some particular utility in having a quick trick requirement for opening preempts.

Most people have quick trick requirements for opening 1 bids and strong 2c opening bids, because it helps gauge when there's a decent shot to make a penalty double of the opponents. If you can count on an opener to take 2 tricks more often than not your penalty doubles will be more successful than when he opened some say shapely 9/10 count at the 1 level but low on aces and kings, and you watch the opps take the first tricks in all the side suits then ruff out the rest. If he opened light but does have aces your penalty double still works. Or for the 2c bids, there are some weak players who open 2c based on having 1 really long suit and not much outside, lots of playing strength but not much defense, this backfires when opps bid 5 of whatever and partner doubles expecting more outside tricks.

For preempts, its really hardly important at all to have QT because partner when penalty doubling isn't counting on side quick tricks from us, really shouldn't count on any defense from us at all other than thinking the opponents won't have a bunch of tricks in our suit.

Further, it prevents what I am calling the "dilution" effect. This is when we take a time-honored and passé concept like 2 quick tricks for an open and either dilute or remove it. Then the race to the bottom starts.

2 QT is for an opening ONE bid. Nobody was ever requiring that for opening WEAK TWO bid. So it's not racing to the bottom.

"Every Bridge player knows the playing potential of a 6-5 hand . You "come alive" with this distribution and bid. You are usually rewarded if partner has a fit for one of the suits. Using the rule of 20 , 6-5's can be opened with as little as 10 HCP so that you can "fire the first shot" .

This was also talking about opening at the ONE LEVEL.

The spirit of 6-5 come alive is that your suits (as in plural) contain working values that are respectable. A case can be made for QJTxxx being respectable. QTxxxx is just not respectable.

I don't think you appreciate the power of QTxxxx. Partner holding the Jx gives you the expectation of FOUR TRICKS. Ax you can get FIVE tricks.

Yes, if partner has no fit it will be hard to establish. But if partner has a decent fit for either suit you may be able to ruff out the other. And with 2 8+ fits you can take a lot of tricks on few HCP.

But why you would prefer to open xx QJTxxx xx Kxx in preference to this I have no idea. Kxx gives better defense than QTxxx, it's one half more quick trick, but offensively there is no comparison on average

Finally, I would be wary of taking concepts meant for constructive bids and applying them to a preemptive scenario. I have tried that as well and have been admonished. ;)

Exactly. Your quick trick requirements are for one bids. We are saying open two. Your partner won't expect defense so it won't backfire from a defensive bidding perspective. From a constructive bidding purpose, a side 5/6 bagger, even a weak one, will tend to provide more offense than an average weak two. If partner raises 4, you will likely make more often with - QJTxxx x QTxxx than xx QJTxxx xx Axx.

Weak twos serve both preemptive and constructive purposes.

Would we prefer the side suit be stronger, like add one or two of the CK/J/9? Of course. But we have to play what we are dealt. And I think most good players think we will get better results on average opening 2H than passing and hoping to bid later. Will it always be better? Of course not, we don't know what's going to unfold. But we think it leads to better on average, which is what matters.

#38 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 13:56

Zelandakh, on 2017-May-12, 03:19, said:

First of all what Josh wrote there has little to do with the current subject. In fact you can check his vote in this poll http://bridgewinners...-2-4fs03h8f5d/. and decide whether you or me understood him betterPosted Image
And that has nothing to do with respect or disrespect. Bottom line is we have an intermediate poster (who asked whether the dbl is penalty or take-out) and what we ended up in replies is seeing 6-6 hands and talking about exceptions. This is not what you get down to with someone who clearly is at the level that asking the meaning of this double! There is your flag!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#39 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 14:25

Stephen Tu, on 2017-May-12, 13:28, said:

Exactly. Your quick trick requirements are for one bids. We are saying open two. Your partner won't expect defense so it won't backfire from a defensive bidding perspective.

Did you read Josh's article about weak 2's?

Josh's Practice Problems

Here are the 3 practice problems he uses in his article that I used in my earlier post about weak 2 bids.

Practice Problem #1

AQJxxx
xxx
x
xxx

He said South would open this 2♠. I have no qualms here. The hand has 1.5 quick tricks for a weak 2 open and the ♠ suit quality is delicious. You don't need the 1.5 quick tricks to bid preemptively but notice how it keeps the quality of the weak 2 open ship-shape.

Practice Problem #2

x
KQ9xxx
Q10xxx
x

Josh said South would open this 2. I don't care for the side 5 card suit but I can work with his suit quality (having 2 of top 3 honors and an intermediate) and the fact that his hand has 1.0 quick tricks, even for weak 2♥. He is keeping the quality of his trump suit intact and keeping a quick trick in the hand.

Practice Problem #3

x
xx
QJ10xxx
AJ9x

Josh said South would open up 2♦ which I am okay with. The hand just so happens to have 1.0 quick tricks and the suit quality for diamonds is okay at QJ10XXX. The side suit quality is in CONTROL and no one has to be heavily concerned for the whereabouts of the QK since the AJ9X suit is in attack mode and likely to capture one of the missing honors with a decent finesse.

The quick tricks aren't really a requirement for the weak 2 open, but having some control of the hand in either the trump suit and/or the side suit will definitely help sell your idea.

The Proposed BBF Hand:

• void = YELLOW ALERT! Departure from ordinary expectations. . .Proceed with caution.
  • QJTxxx= adequate suit quality, even though none of the trump honors are quick (you do, however, have 3 of 5 honors).
  • x = singleton, OK here
  • QTxxxx = RED ALERT! Compromised side suit quality (contains 1 of top 4 honors. . .and the Q♣ honor, while guarded by an intermediate, isn't even a quick honor--getting control of the suit may present problems during play as we need to track down the whereabouts of AKJ♣ clubs :blink: )

And this example doesn't even have a scattered king or ace in the mix like ALL of Josh's examples.

This is just not working for me. The suit quality of the practice problems Josh provides are nowhere near the suit quality of the suggested 2♥ bid in the BBF.

No deal.

#40 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-12, 14:29

Yes,it is a penalty.Partner is expecting zero defensive value from you as weak 2 opening does not promise even single QT.Generally partner's bid is honoured but in case of your extreme hand pattern you may bid.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users