• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cue bids and Multi 2D

#1 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-13, 01:55

This one didn't end well (Matchpointed duplicate pairs):

The 2 bid contained a weak 2 in a Major and several strong options. Whilst we hadn't discussed this sequence, nor do we have a specific defence to a multi just play naturally (including an overcall in ). Setting aside the undiscussed sequence partner remains adamant that natural should mean natural and any (or cue of any artificially bid suit) should show the suit. My preference is to use Leaping Michaels over a Multi, but not in this partnership.

I can't really see any good case for this being natural, and see showing a good raise as more useful and frequent, but wondered what views others held.

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-13, 02:26

Defending against a Multi is difficult. That is why it was invented.

But I think that this is how your reasoning should go:

North opened a multi, showing a weak two in a major or some strong options.
  • He can't really have the strong options. After all, if North would have a strong option and East would be strong enough to bid 2, West will rarely have enough strength to bid (other than perhaps a raise of partner's suit). So, if West bids something, then North must have a weak two in a major.
  • East has the hearts. You can be pretty sure that North will not have 6 of them. That means he must have a weak two in spades.

And there you have your cuebid. You can use a bid in the other major as a cue, since you are practically certain that this is North' suit.

If partner overcalls in a minor then this obviously doesn't work. But when partner overcalls in a major, the other major is the opponent's suit.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-13, 03:29

The alternative approach would be to go for transfer responses,
e.g. the cue would be the xfer in p suit, but there are various
schemes.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-13, 04:16

I typically propose 2NT as the good raise of partner's major if we don't have a cue bid available. That way we don't suffer disasters by not being able to find our spade fit on these auctions (it does happen).

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-13, 10:33

View PostTrinidad, on 2017-April-13, 02:26, said:

Defending against a Multi is difficult. That is why it was invented.

But I think that this is how your reasoning should go:

North opened a multi, showing a weak two in a major or some strong options.
  • He can't really have the strong options. After all, if North would have a strong option and East would be strong enough to bid 2, West will rarely have enough strength to bid (other than perhaps a raise of partner's suit). So, if West bids something, then North must have a weak two in a major.
  • East has the hearts. You can be pretty sure that North will not have 6 of them. That means he must have a weak two in spades.

And there you have your cuebid. You can use a bid in the other major as a cue, since you are practically certain that this is North' suit.

If partner overcalls in a minor then this obviously doesn't work. But when partner overcalls in a major, the other major is the opponent's suit.

Rik

This, but 3 should be interpreted as natural and forcing so it shouldn't end there.

You could also play something lebensohl like over 2 (or transfers).

#6 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-14, 04:19

Personally I find bidding 3 with the West cards bizarre. I realise the post is about using cue bids after a multi 2, but surely the sensible bid is 4.

With a balanced hand, doubleton and 4 card support there's only bid I would consider. Yes, we may miss a slam, but hoping that partner will interpret 3 as cue bid (without prior agreement) is asking for trouble, I feel.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-14, 10:05

use the other major as a cuebid. 99% of the time opener's suit is the one partner didn't overcall. the 1% of the time when it's not, you probably want to be in no trumps.

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-April-14, 12:35

2is artificial. Taking a 3bid by advancer as an artificial cue-bid is not normal. Normal is natural. Sure you could with agreement use as a transfer, Lebensohl or something else as others have mentioned.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2017-April-14, 14:49

3 is just natural and forcing.
The West hand has a normal 4 bid, without worrying about what is a cue bid and what isn't.

that said, I also play bidding the other major as a cue (but a jump in the other major as natural)

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 00:58

I use 3 spades as the cuebid and 2 spades as natural.

#11 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 03:30

Thanks all, obvious when pointed out that you can assume the other Major is their suit and cue bid that - leaving 3 intact as natural....

When using 3 as forcing is this in the context of playing all new suit advances as forcing or even mixing them up - and playing them as forcing when it seems we have the strong hands but non-forcing after a normal 1 level opening?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users