• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talking a good game of bridge

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-09, 07:44

There's playing a good game, and then there's talking a good game.
Do you find that some people can speak with great fluency and clarity about a bridge hand, but are basically telling you five ways how they just failed to make the contract?

OTOH, do you know strong players out there who aren't very clear at articulating how they handled the position? It seems like if you understand the position (clearly), then you can probably talk about it (clearly), but maybe not in the immediate aftermath of the hand? I'm wondering if some of us have visualisation processes that just don't lend themselves to rapid translation?

Not a strong player myself, but find it interesting that I'm pretty poor at verbalising the play of the hand just afterwards, and used to get a bit intimidated at the way some players can immediately roll out a detailed analysis. Their apparent analytical rigour, however, is not matched by their results in many cases- they talk a good game.

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-09, 08:00

It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-December-09, 10:15

View Postel mister, on 2015-December-09, 07:44, said:

OTOH, do you know strong players out there who aren't very clear at articulating how they handled the position?

Yes, Magnus Carlsen:

But Kasparov says Carlsen's mastery is rooted in a "deep intuitive sense no computer can teach" and that his pupil "has a natural feel for where to place the pieces." According to Kasparov, Carlsen has a knack for sensing the potential energy in each move, even if its ultimate effect is too far away for anyone — even a computer — to calculate. In the grand-master commentary room, where chess's clerisy gather to analyze play, the experts did not even consider several of Carlsen's moves during his game with Kramnik until they saw them and realized they were perfect. "It's hard to explain," Carlsen says. "Sometimes a move just feels right." [from http://content.time....950939,00.html]

Luckily, he doesn't play bridge:

If on dozens of relevant deals an expert player makes repeated extreme bids/leads/plays and has no rational bridge explanation, something is wrong. If they are unexplainable actions (“non-expert bridge”) then something is fishy. A world-class player (capable of winning Spingolds) might make an egregious error (perhaps one or two in an entire week). It is not possible for such a player to make 10-15 of those inexplicable plays in a week. Really. Beyond a reasonable doubt. And if you think there is a 0.0001% chance it could happen, and then the same thing happens at the next tournament, then it is 0.0001% x 0.0001% – which multiplies out to “impossible.” [from http://bridgewinners...hing-cheaters/]

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 10:32

It really doesn't matter how good a game you can talk in the bar after the game. All that counts is how good you are at being a smartass on BBF.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 12:35

I would say I'm really bad at explaining myself most of the time, but it applies to everything, bridge or not. I'm not a world class player by any means, but I would like to think I would know what I'm doing at the bridge table though even if I have a hard time explaining what my thought process was. It also doesn't help that I would describe myself as an instinctive player.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   lorserker 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 14:02

I often have a feeling, an intuition or a thought both at bridge and outside of bridge. I can get quite convinced by these thoughts, but they are not always correct.
If a thought happens to be wrong, i can usually immediately tell that it's wrong as soon as i try to articulate it into speech. It goes as far that if the thought is seriously flawed i start to stutter and can't really explain it :) The entire time the thought was not uttered, it was very convincing.
I think that speech is tightly linked to logic. I'm not sure how the brain works in general, but i think that it often doesn't use logic. Logic is computationally too expensive. If i was talking in my head all the time when playing bridge i could play much better, but it would take very long to play a board :)

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 06:33

Helpful postmortems emphasize general principles that apply to this hand and are good to have in mind:

- "This auction suggests a trump lead because .... "

Not so helpful postmortems:

- "You miscounted the clubs"
- "My pet convention would have been helpful"
- "Trust partner" (but: when you have described your hand accurately, then you CAN trust partner's decisions).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 07:59

I am probably one of the worst at post morteming relative to how I play. I cannot even remember hands 10 minutes after I play them unless they are extraordinary or if someone tells me something about them... I also hate talking about bridge at tourneys.

It doesn't matter, some people can remember everything about deals 50 years ago, don't be intimidated...everyone is different.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-December-10, 08:18

In my case I believe I use multi proccessing, so I will reject lines of play without being concious of why I do so. This sometimes backfires as seemingly unnatural plays get discarded but they were the right one.

This also means I am terrible at claiming, I know I can make the hand foolproof by playing something now, but I don't know yet how.

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 08:37

View PostFluffy, on 2015-December-10, 08:18, said:

In my case I believe I use multi proccessing, so I will reject lines of play without being concious of why I do so. This sometimes backfires as seemingly unnatural plays get discarded but they were the right one.

This also means I am terrible at claiming, I know I can make the hand foolproof by playing something now, but I don't know yet how.

Also, you are awful at being a smartass on BBF, compared to your bridge success in the real world. Sorry, someone had to say it.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 09:01

View Postcherdano, on 2015-December-10, 08:37, said:

Also, you are awful at being a smartass on BBF, compared to your bridge success in the real world. Sorry, someone had to say it.

On the other hand ... Posted Image
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#12 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2015-December-10, 10:49

Confining myself to OP's question...

No, I've never heard a poor player speak "with great fluency and clarity" about a bridge hand. People who can visualize the cards hours after the fact can usually also visualize the cards when they actually need to.

On the other hand there are some very good players who either don't communicate well or just choose not to explain themselves.

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-December-10, 10:59

I think of myself as a really good IRL smartass, much better than on BBF. But it is probably an illusion, probably most of the players at the club consider me just as annoying as all the other smartasses.

Seriously, the more I learn about bridge the more I learn to shut up because I realize how stupid my postmortems used to be.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 12:11

View Postgordontd, on 2015-December-09, 08:00, said:

It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well.

Where is this from? I remember hearing it years ago, but forget the source.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-December-10, 12:15

I thought Emanuel Lasker.

edit: Tartakower or Tarrasch, looked it up.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   OBSugar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-10, 15:06

Mistakes are part of the game. Many accurate postmortem chats result in ATB to the opponents for your good fortune. A little rude isn't it? Next hand, please.

#17 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 15:37

All the good players I have known over many years can remember all the cards more or less of in all the hands for 48 hours at least and often ages more, and the harder the hand and the line they took for weeks especialy if it did not work.

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-December-10, 15:48

You might find my standard rule helpful.

If any pickup partner discusses errors I may make while ignoring any discussion of ones I know they made, They go on my permanent ignore list.

When I learned to snow ski years ago an instructor told me not to go on runs that my freinds suggest because my friend were not eager to teach me to ski, they were eager to convince me how well they could ski.

Bridge is much the same.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-December-10, 21:45

I suspect I missed a thread where smartass became fashionable on BBF, anyone got a link?

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-10, 22:31

View PostFluffy, on 2015-December-10, 21:45, said:

I suspect I missed a thread where smartass became fashionable on BBF, anyone got a link?

That's the spirit!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users