What do you play on trick 1?

Spoiler

Squeeze me

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-May-12, 18:46

A, then K, 3 to the J. If the finesse holds and both follow, draw the 3rd round of trumps and clear endingin hand. (If the trump finesse loses, a switch by East is less threatening). Finesse the J.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-May-12, 21:31

+1 for Stevemoe

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-12, 23:05

SteveMoe, on 2017-May-12, 18:46, said:

A, then K, 3 to the J. If the finesse holds and both follow, draw the 3rd round of trumps and clear endingin hand. (If the trump finesse loses, a switch by East is less threatening). Finesse the J.

After drawing trumps,finesse J before touching s.

#5 User is offline   cjames 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-13, 03:48

Thanks!

This feels like a everyday kind of hand, and one that I felt I missplayed badly at the table. I played the Q trick one, which I think is really bad: The lead could be singleton, if I play for the king to be onside, then I would still need West to have Jack singleton to pick up all the clubs, and if I play for clubs to be Kxx Jx, I can play a club to the queen later, and not risk a ruff now.

Playing the A also have the bonus effect of picking up singleton K (or J I guess) with West, as in this case. When s are 3-2 with Qx onside, you get 13 tricks on this layout.

Follow up question:

After losing trick 1 to the K, and winning the J return with the king, should I:

1) Assume that some tables will get a trump or lead, and will play hearts as above and lose one club trick. Therefore I should play for to be J75 - K3 and play the same way, and get 12 tricks.
2) Assume that clubs are 4-1 and that someone are in the same situation as me, and try to beat those by playing for W to have Qx in hearts, and then play small to J and the A, as I no longer have have enough entries to set up a club for pitch if I play K first.

At the table I lost to the K, and played K and to J and another . Clubs were 4-1. 11 tricks. Ugh.
Squeeze me

#6 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-13, 07:03

cjames, on 2017-May-13, 03:48, said:

Thanks!

This feels like a everyday kind of hand, and one that I felt I missplayed badly at the table. I played the Q trick one, which I think is really bad: The lead could be singleton, if I play for the king to be onside, then I would still need West to have Jack singleton to pick up all the clubs, and if I play for clubs to be Kxx Jx, I can play a club to the queen later, and not risk a ruff now.

Playing the A also have the bonus effect of picking up singleton K (or J I guess) with West, as in this case. When s are 3-2 with Qx onside, you get 13 tricks on this layout.

Follow up question:

After losing trick 1 to the K, and winning the J return with the king, should I:

1) Assume that some tables will get a trump or lead, and will play hearts as above and lose one club trick. Therefore I should play for to be J75 - K3 and play the same way, and get 12 tricks.
2) Assume that clubs are 4-1 and that someone are in the same situation as me, and try to beat those by playing for W to have Qx in hearts, and then play small to J and the A, as I no longer have have enough entries to set up a club for pitch if I play K first.

At the table I lost to the K, and played K and to J and another . Clubs were 4-1. 11 tricks. Ugh.
-You require one entry in South's hand to claim Club tricks & that entry is Diamond A.

#7 User is offline   cjames 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-13, 09:25

alok c, on 2017-May-13, 07:03, said:

-You require one entry in South's hand to claim Club tricks & that entry is Diamond A.

East covers the second club and then you have to unblock clubs and ruff out the 7 before you can pitch a on the last one. Your A is gone, and also K, if you play K and small to J.
Squeeze me

#8 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-13, 10:23

cjames, on 2017-May-13, 09:25, said:

East covers the second club and then you have to unblock clubs and ruff out the 7 before you can pitch a on the last one. Your A is gone, and also K, if you play K and small to J.

Well,misunderstood. if you are describing the situation after misplaying initially,then yes.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users