BBO Discussion Forums: The story of ghost - A uncanny bidding sequences - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The story of ghost - A uncanny bidding sequences

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-27, 05:01

This is a real story of team match happened in life.

All the players play natural system.
West hold : xxxx, void, QJxxx, Kxxx.
After East made takeout,West responded 1, North rebidded 1nt, two passing and now it push to west seat, would you tell me next bid?
Please think it over a moment...

Now I would guess you might say to me : Of course,next bid is 2 for sure.
Really? Do you confirm the best next bid is 2?

If you really insist on your opinion,you will get a big trouble!!!
Where is 13-card ? Who ate 13-card ? Obviously,there is a ghost in this bridge hand!!!

No double,no trouble.Sure enough,something strange happened to E-W in the subsequent process:

After 2,both of opps kept silent,East jumped to 4 unexpectedly, East can't understand it in that time ,he forgot who ate 13-card and stupidly rebid 5,then East made 5 bid ,finally they got penalty double,their result was 5X-3

The entire match statistics of this hand showed that 90% of bidding sequence is 1 - (4) x - all pass,all the result are 4X-2.

In fact East held Kx, AKQJxxxx, T9x, void.
East thought he had one strong suited hand only with 4 losers,so he decided to make takeout at first,however after pdartner responded 1,the opener rebid 1N,experienced East suddenly realized that 4 as a final contract will be very in danger,but he can always beat opps if 1N was a final contract,and will down one trick and get 3 imps at least,so he passed,pretending to be weakness.

West didn't know East was deliberately digging a trap,and thought East takeout at first then passing,this was takeout double for sure,and had 3-card support for sure,then bid 2 straight away !
No double,no trouble !Unfortunately,the disaster happened at this point.

In the face of 2,East regarded it as a life line!!! "2 just looked like a useful help suit, since we probably hadn't three quick losers with some fit,4 should be made hopefully.",East thought.
Then East valiantly jumped to 4.... East also took his own course,rebid 5 - 5,eventually E-W got 5X-3.
This is how the story of ghost happened.
The disaster may be just a disaster,usually our ordinary people are very difficult to avoid.

Dear BBFers,would you tell everyone where is the ghost ?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 08:32

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-27, 05:01, said:

In fact East held Kx, AKQJxxxx, T9x, void.
East thought he had one strong suited hand only with 4 losers

It is one of the classic bidding mistakes to double with a GOSH and then not show it the second time around. If you play a private game with constructive hands it tends to end up badly once partner gets involved.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 09:37

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-November-27, 08:32, said:

It is one of the classic bidding mistakes to double with a GOSH and then not show it the second time around. If you play a private game with constructive hands it tends to end up badly once partner gets involved.

But maybe he thought that after the strong 1NT rebid he probably doesn't have game so +200 is a good score?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 10:38

Well I agree that the 5D pull was ill-conceived. Flat board otherwise. Passing it out in 1N by West would have been inspired but logical if he took a moment to think. East's Pass over 1N seems like a unilateral masterminding swing action, but yes it could have worked.

Enjoyed the read.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-27, 10:39

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-November-27, 08:32, said:

It's OK if partner has GSOH
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 11:15

Personally I think East is unsuitable for double followed by a bid. I would expect the 1C,4H,X auction to be quite normal.

Once East does double, it is easier if West simply bids his longest suit 1D. You may get a further chance to bid spades if the opponents compete in hearts.

I don't understand the final 4H bid at all. Wouldn't a simple 2H convey the hand type?

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-27, 11:47

I think that bidding 1S followed up by 2D (if bidding both) should logically be a canapé sequence. So I am fine with the initial 1S.

And yes, if you think that you have too much for a 2H follow-up, then 3H surely says it all.

#8 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-01, 10:44

I never pass as E here, there are a lot of holdings that W can have with 4H making

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users