BBO Discussion Forums: Deception vs. Technique - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deception vs. Technique Part score

#1 User is offline   biggerclub 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: 2013-May-23

Posted 2015-October-30, 23:18

Again, if not appropriate for this forum, please move to INT/ADV.

ACBL Regional. MP scoring. FWIW, Serious Newcomers vs. Moderately Bad Client and Pro.



Client leads J♣. Right or wrong, declarer wins K♣, no break in tempo.

Attacking ♠, of course, but a deceptive 6 or the unblocking Q?
0

#2 User is offline   rhm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,092
  • Joined: 2005-June-27

Posted 2015-October-31, 04:00

Deception is fine if the card played, say from equals, does not matter.
But when you prefer deception against technique there should be a rationale for preferring the "wrong" card.
What do you expect to gain by playing the six unless RHO holds a singleton ace of spades.
Do you want the defense to duck the ♠A?
The defense will likely continue clubs whichever spade you play.
So what would be the point of playing the six except creating problems for you?
The ♠Q by the way does not unblock anything it only avoids a blockage.

Rainer Herrmann
1

#3 User is offline   dboxley 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: 2003-March-20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indianapolis

Posted 2015-October-31, 09:29

The Q of course. I don't see how the 6 could ever be right, maybe there is something I am missing.
0

#4 User is offline   gszes 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,695
  • Joined: 2011-February-12

Posted 2015-November-01, 08:41

If the spade suit breaks 33 or the T drops singleton/doubleton you pick up 4 spade tricks by starting with the Q and continuing the suit. If you start with the 6 what sort of play are you imagining that in any way shape or form is of benefit to you? This last question goes a long way to answering the OP any time one is thinking about applying deception vs brute force.

While playing low the the J (please not the "deceptive" K) wins 4 spades when the T is singe/double look at what happens when the spades break 33. If you continue with the K (smothering your Q) the defense merely wins the A and you can return to dummy in dia and set up your remaining spades but never get back to them. If you play low to the Q the defense ducks and once again you have managed to block the spade suit. Imagination is nice but look at the facts first.
0

#5 User is offline   biggerclub 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: 2013-May-23

Posted 2015-November-01, 11:26

View Postgszes, on 2015-November-01, 08:41, said:

If you start with the 6 what sort of play are you imagining that in any way shape or form is of benefit to you?


I did play low to the J, hoping to get client (and LHO) to hop up with her A from ATxx or similar.

What I got was more satisfying.

When Pro grabs his A♠, fires back the Q♣ (showing 3, I presume) with the speed of light. And then client covers my J♦. After I cashed the Q♠ first, obviously. ♠s were 3-3 as a bonus and I lost only the A♠ and 2 tricks in the round suits at the end.

Partner exploded that my play was horrible, but pro expressed some approval. I'm not sure.

Lately I have been a lot more unsure about a lot of bridge questions than I used to be. I hope this is a sign of advancing bridge play and not just advancing age.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users