BBO Discussion Forums: 8-4 knocking at your door - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8-4 knocking at your door

#1 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-January-18, 02:28

Imp scoring, teams



How do you plan your auction?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

  • Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,576
  • Joined: 2003-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-January-18, 02:51

What defence am I playing to Multi?
0

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,871
  • Joined: 2007-April-22
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA

Posted 2015-January-18, 03:46

My instinct was 6♣, but I think we are probably less than 50% to make so I'll say a heavy 5♣ instead. Can I laugh out loud if some people pass this 2♦ and then it goes all pass?
0

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-18, 04:24

Dbl.

This should force opponents to show their suit. If it's spades I'll stick to 5♣. But if it's hearts I'll take a flyer at slam, based on the would-be shortness across. Finally, if pard makes some move in diamonds, 5. If he makes some random noise that's not necessarily diamond based, 6.
0

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

  • Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,576
  • Joined: 2003-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-January-18, 10:31

What would 4C be? Double might work well, followed by a jump in clubs. All a bit of a guess.
0

#6 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-January-18, 11:22

Doesn't really matter what defense you play, I'm interested in how people would try to tackle this hand whatever their methods.

For the record, playing this hand I played a fairly simple (= definitely not optimal) method: Dbl shows ♦ (but no continuations defined), all others are natural...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,240
  • Joined: 2012-June-25

Posted 2015-January-18, 11:38

Most decent players in the UK play 2♦-X-Pass as showing diamonds, so that is completely insane.

3♣. It's time to walk the dog!
0

#8 User is offline   broze 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,007
  • Joined: 2011-March-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 2015-January-18, 12:17

Good hand for Multi vs Multi where 2S shows a constructive C overcall. You can then try Phil's dog-walk without the (albeit small) possibility of a passout.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams
0

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-18, 12:50

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-January-18, 11:38, said:

3♣. It's time to walk the dog!


You think so? well I think there a considerable chance it will close the auction Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,240
  • Joined: 2012-June-25

Posted 2015-January-18, 13:12

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-January-18, 12:50, said:

You think so? well I think there a considerable chance it will close the auction Posted Image


Well that's better than double closing the auction. :P
0

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-18, 13:19

oh i doubt that :)
0

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-18, 13:23

It's either 6C or 3C. I already have it in my notes that if I ever play against Philking and he makes a simple overcall, we are letting him play there unless the hand clearly belongs to us:)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
4

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2015-January-18, 16:52

I would bid 2♠ (take out of spades), if partner bids 5♦ over it I will not be very happy, but other things could be bad also.
0

#14 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-January-19, 12:14

Continuation: if LHO gets the opportunity, he'll bid 4♥ P/C (Fluffy, your partner will Dbl this if it's penalty) and RHO will correct to 4♠.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2015-January-19, 14:48

heart seem to be 4441 on my position, I am missing too many cards to drive to slam myself, so 5♣ and maybe partner raises. Although I feel it is not over yet.
0

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-19, 15:08

I'm bidding 6C now. If partner doubled 4♥ for penalty, we may be missing grand, but there is no way of discovering the heart 10.

I may be down, off an Ace and a slow heart loser, but I'll take my chances.

Put it another way: I think that there are (far) more layouts on which slam is excellent and he can't raise 5♣ than there are hands on which slam is bad.

What worries me most is my bidding 6♣ and having rho double on his heart void. It is easy to see that opposite say xx K10xxx QJxx xx we need to be in 6♥, but I'm going to wait until that double happens before committing myself. And even then, I probably won't pull.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#17 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-19, 15:18

The idea of doubling for takeout on these cards makes me ill. I would expect that it would go all pass a significant amount of the time.

Unless you have a bid for this type of hand over the 2♦ opening*, I would just punt 6♣ hoping that partner has one or two cards that would let it succeed. I don't have a ♥K ask available, and that card, without more, gives me a reasonable chance to make 6♣.

The ♥J and the ♠A together also gives me a reasonable chance to make 6♣.

Partner could have some cards that are not useful but the opps might make a lead which turns them into gold. For example, partner could have the ♦A and the ♥J, and the opps could lead a diamond.

The bottom line is that I don't know what is best here, but I do know what is worst - double. I am going to guess that 6♣ is the winner.

* I fully expected that someone was going to say that "Over a 2♦ opening, we play that 2 of a major shows 4 in the bid major and a side solid 8 card minor." That would be great on this hand, but I would wager that it doesn't come up too often.
1

#18 User is offline   foobar 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 588
  • Joined: 2003-June-20
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-January-19, 17:39

My guess is 5♣, preparing to apologize if pard happens to hold the magical ♥KJx or A♠.
0

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-20, 08:56

Why apologize for making a good bid? Posted Image
0

#20 User is offline   bigbenvic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: 2011-October-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2015-January-20, 23:52

I double which shows either 18+ balanced or 15+ unbalanced (2maj is 10-14 take out of other major) and I'm preparing to bid 5♣ over them jumping to 4♠!

If they stay out of and unless partner shows ♥ I'll treat this as a GF single suiter in ♣. I like that slightly more than just jumping to 5♣ (my second choice) as there is some chance of partner holding ♥ IF the weak 2 is in ♠ and or they stay silent (unlikely but you never know) and give us room to explore slam or even grand.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users