BBO Discussion Forums: What does "Rectify The Count" mean? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does "Rectify The Count" mean?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-March-10, 01:59

In articles that involve squeezes we often see the phrase "rectify the count" but it is never explained what that means. I've had a good look around and can't find a definitive description. The closest I came to is something that says losing a trick early to a hand that is known to be long ie after a weak two so that you can work out the count prior to a squeeze.

I understand the phrase "the count", trying to work out what each op holds so that we can end play or play for a drop, its the "rectify" bit that perplexes me:

1. To set right; correct.
2. To correct by calculation or adjustment

What are we correcting? Most of the time it just seems that we are trying to find out some information but we certainly aren't correcting anything.

While I'm on the subject, could anyone recommend a good book on squeezes and rectifying the count?

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-March-10, 02:24

The best way to illustrate this is with an example

Imagine you are South in this position here:

When South cashes the A of clubs, West is squeezed in the majors, and must concede a trick. Notice that South has precisely 1 loser in this position.

Compare with this position:

Now when South cashes the A of clubs, West simply pitches his low spade, and there is no squeeze. This is because South has 2 losers.

To rectify the count means to lose a trick you must lose, in order to produce the squeeze position. If South had been able to safely duck a round of spades earlier, that would be an example of rectifying the count.

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 03:06

As this forum is always great when it comes to lingo issues I hope someone chimes in and gives us some history of the term. It seems impossible to understand for someone who didn't hear it before.
Why not: "prepare a squeeze" or something ? :)

#4 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-10, 03:24

Doesnt 'Rectify The Count' simply mean loose 1 or more tricks to leave exactly 1 remaining loser before being able to execute a squeeze?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 03:30

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-10, 03:24, said:

Doesnt 'Rectify The Count' simply mean loose 1 or more tricks to leave exactly 1 remaining loser before being able to execute a squeeze?

It does.

Most experts will have read Clyde Love's "Bridge Squeezes Complete" (MPP ebook). It starts slowly and is well laid out ... then it gets more exotic. This site also has a free download of practice hands (and solutions using Love's nomenclature).

Searching for squeezes on the forums will find lots of good stuff from inquiry.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-10, 08:34

View Postpaulg, on 2012-March-10, 03:30, said:

Most experts will have read Clyde Love's "Bridge Squeezes Complete"

One of the all-time great bridge books. Also good is "Kelsey on Squeeze Play", which is a four-part volume from Hugh Kelsey.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 09:40

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-10, 03:24, said:

Not quite, some squeezes operate with more than one loser.

A triple squeeze can operate with two, a strip squeeze operates with 2.

It's giving up a trick to leave the right number of losers for the type of squeeze you're about to execute. There are also some squeezes usually requiring blocked entries and extra cards in one of the menaces that operate "without the count" ie with more losers than they should have.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 10:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-March-10, 09:40, said:

Not quite, some squeezes operate with more than one loser.

A triple squeeze can operate with two, a strip squeeze operates with 2.

It's giving up a trick to leave the right number of losers for the type of squeeze you're about to execute. There are also some squeezes usually requiring blocked entries and extra cards in one of the menaces that operate "without the count" ie with more losers than they should have.

And that's why Love or Kelsey gave me a migraine by chapter 3.

To be able to name the large number of different squeezes, recognize and execute them at tournament speed even once in a while is sooo tough.

My prefered method is to collect entertaining samples and re-read them regularly. Bridge with the Blue Team is full of outstanding examples that were performed at the table. Pattern recognition in real time and technique gradually sink in.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-10, 11:03

In any case, "rectify the count" means the current winner count is presently wrong for the squeeze to operate...and we need to first lose a trick (or more), then stick it to em.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-10, 11:48

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-March-10, 01:59, said:

In articles that involve squeezes we often see the phrase "rectify the count" but it is never explained what that means. I've had a good look around and can't find a definitive description. The closest I came to is something that says losing a trick early to a hand that is known to be long ie after a weak two so that you can work out the count prior to a squeeze.

I understand the phrase "the count", trying to work out what each op holds so that we can end play or play for a drop, its the "rectify" bit that perplexes me:

It's not the same 'count' that you are thinking of. The 'count' referred to here is the count of the number of winners and losers you have in the remaining tricks. While there are indeed various unusual or more complicated squeezes where things are different, the basic squeeze position only works if you have 1 loser and all the rest of your cards are winners. If you have 2 losers, you have to duck a trick before playing your squeeze, in order to 'rectify' the 'count' of remaining losers to one.

#11 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 13:14

Here's a definition from the Bridge World Glossary

Rectify the count - lose one or more tricks to adjust the difference between the number of tricks to be played and the number of winners available to the appropriate quantity (most often one) for a planned squeeze.

This definition may be accurate but it is not helpful for understanding what "rectify the count" really means imo. To understand that, I think you have to create and work through your own examples like the ones above by mr1303. I believe this approach of learning and teaching by constructing examples was the motivating idea behind Love's book.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-10, 14:48

i also recommend clyde love's book on squeezes. I've read most books on the subject, and still feel his is the best.

As noted earlier in this thread, I have posted material in these forrum on squeeze, including a series on 2004 in the beginner/intermediate forum. Perhaps in highsight, my approach to the material for this forum was wrong, but I still like the general concept of how I presented the material.

I FIRST made it easy (i hope) to undertand the terms of clyde love's blue using a simple finesse position (and changes to it). Then in the introduction to squeezes i discussed the automatic squeeze (which I called the basic squeeze ending) and then how changing entry conditions gave rise to a host of other simple squeeze, trump squeeze, guard squeeze, clash squeeze, trump guard squeeze, and entry shifting squeeze --- all int he introductory thread squeeze.

i know a lot of books never even go into such things as clash squeeze or guard squeeze, or entry shifting squeeze, but I did in the introductory material. The reason for this was I deal identifying different squeezes based upon what is wrong wtih the basic "blue" conditions for the automatic squeeze. The first thing to deal with being wrong (in my mind) is changes in the entry conditions. So all the squeezed in the family above have some problem (usually no entry to the hand oposite the squeeze card in either threat suit). Then in other threads, I discussed what to do when there are flaws in loser (dealing with the count problem -- where I discuss, correcting the count, along with other ways to deal with more than one loser in squeeze), and both (where you get to double squeezes, etc). I would give you a llink the thread with problem with loser (dealing with correct the count), but really, the style I wrote those threads in would requie you delve through the much longer introductory materail first.. If you are intersted, the introductory thread can be read here: introduction to squeezes
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-10, 17:54

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-March-10, 10:42, said:

And that's why Love or Kelsey gave me a migraine by chapter 3.

To be able to name the large number of different squeezes, recognize and execute them at tournament speed even once in a while is sooo tough.

My prefered method is to collect entertaining samples and re-read them regularly. Bridge with the Blue Team is full of outstanding examples that were performed at the table. Pattern recognition in real time and technique gradually sink in.

Right Through the Pack is my favourite bridge book. It also has lots of entertaining examples of squeezes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 01:54

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-10, 11:48, said:

It's not the same 'count' that you are thinking of. The 'count' referred to here is the count of the number of winners and losers you have in the remaining tricks. While there are indeed various unusual or more complicated squeezes where things are different, the basic squeeze position only works if you have 1 loser and all the rest of your cards are winners. If you have 2 losers, you have to duck a trick before playing your squeeze, in order to 'rectify' the 'count' of remaining losers to one.

That really helps, perhaps you should write the Bridge World Glossary below :)

Regards,

Simon

PS Congratulations on Camrose result. I was away and missed it all but had a look at the vugraph archive and you all did really well.

#15 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 01:58

View Postinquiry, on 2012-March-10, 14:48, said:

i also recommend clyde love's book on squeezes. I've read most books on the subject, and still feel his is the best.

As noted earlier in this thread, I have posted material in these forrum .. If you are intersted, the introductory thread can be read here: introduction to squeezes

As always with your stuff I look forward to getting stuck in to it this morning.

From what I've seen of you other stuff you should get in to the bridge author business as you have a style that makes complicated stuff easy to follow, well for me at least.

Regards,

Simon

#16 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 02:06

Thanks to everyone else for the explanations and book recommendations, too many to answer individually but they are appreciated. I'll be trawling through them in more detail and ordering a couple of books later today as this appears to be one of those subjects which can give an edge at the club level if you can spot the opportunity.

I found this from David Bird on Google books just after I made the OP and chapter 3, "Rectifying the Count" is really good on the subject.

Regards,

Simon

#17 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 06:48

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-March-11, 01:58, said:

As always with your stuff I look forward to getting stuck in to it this morning.

From what I've seen of you other stuff you should get in to the bridge author business as you have a style that makes complicated stuff easy to follow, well for me at least.

Regards,

Simon

I agree. I'm somewhat familiar with squeezes, and found Ben's approach unique and intuition building. I couldn't find the A/E posts of his on the subject but enjoyed the one B/I thread a lot (am looking at the B/I problem hands now).
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#18 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-11, 08:49

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-March-11, 02:06, said:

...this appears to be one of those subjects which can give an edge at the club level if you can spot the opportunity.

Very true, but I would caution you not to seek squeezes in every hand; that's a trap that many bright up-and-comers fall into, and some never seem to recover! It may be immensely gratifying to identify a 25% layout where a squeeze operates at the table, but it probably isn't all that good for your results if there is a routine 50% finesse available.

In my opinion, the major advantage most intermediate players would gain from a study of squeezes (and Love's book in particular) is in learning how to routinely go about "shaping up the hand" (to use Love's term) in preparation of a squeeze or other type of endplay. It might take a long time (or even a lifetime) to absorb some of the more esoteric squeeze concepts, but grinding through numerous examples of stripping side suits, being careful with entries, etc. will reap countless rewards.

I haven't read Ben's stuff on squeezes, but judging from the quality of his other instructional posts, I'm guessing it is must-read. I will definitely go back and check it out.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#19 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-11, 10:11

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-March-11, 08:49, said:

Very true, but I would caution you not to seek squeezes in every hand; that's a trap that many bright up-and-comers fall into, and some never seem to recover! It may be immensely gratifying to identify a 25% layout where a squeeze operates at the table, but it probably isn't all that good for your results if there is a routine 50% finesse available.

In my opinion, the major advantage most intermediate players would gain from a study of squeezes (and Love's book in particular) is in learning how to routinely go about "shaping up the hand" (to use Love's term) in preparation of a squeeze or other type of endplays. It might take a long time (or even a lifetime) to absorb some of the more esoteric squeeze concepts, but grinding through numerous examples of stripping side suits, being careful with entries, etc. will reap countless rewards.

I haven't read Ben's stuff on squeezes, but judging from the quality of his other instructional posts, I'm guessing it is must-read. I will definitely go back and check it out.

i also have blog that I built off the forum post... called identifying squeeze where I try to explain my approach to them. It can be found identifying squeeze. IT is often word for word the same (but with more example hands if I remember correctly) with the forum post. The forum post also have comments from forum members. I do now that when conversion to new hand format, second and third hands in same post got screwed up,. I have gone back and fixed some of them in the different squeeze threads, but not all of them.

i never published the last few chapters of my notes, which among other things deal with when L is wrong (funny, I leave rectifying count to almost the last section in my notes after problems with entries and "both"... everyone else starts with rectifying count). I do have complete notes on dealing with problems with blue when "losers" is not right (rectifying count, triple squeeze, strip squeeze, delayed duck, etc) so I guess in response to this thread I should post them too. And now that handviewer can be used, I could post a bunch of different kind of squeeze problem hands with a working "next" button for practice, which is what all the past post I have made lacked (I have an extensive hand collection).
--Ben--

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-11, 10:30

I wonder if anyone has ever published (or blogged) a simple "accidental squeezes for dummies".

Such treatise would start with the idea that, whether we know the name of what we are doing or not, if we need an extra trick which doesn't seem to be there ---we should nevertheless start cashing winners and hope something good happens. It would include simple discarding principles, such as reducing KXX AXXX in a side suit to KXX AX ---etc.

It probably has been written..maybe even in the links provided with this thread, but I have not read up on these things. They just happen from time to time.

My favorite, and the only one I know by name, is the Pop Squeeze where we can nab a stiff honor offside because the 0n-side guy had to pop that honor if he had it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users