• You cannot reply to this topic

Slamming or not? Bad hand for the system

#21 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-04, 06:50

helene_t, on 2014-December-04, 04:47, said:

This.

I think that if Jack's partner doesn't want to play 2/1 GF, and they adopt your suggestion of rebidding 2 with balanced minimums, a subsequent 2NT by responder needs to be NF.

But maybe it would help to open 9-12 counts with six spades 2 and put the weaker preempts in the multi 2. Then the 2 rebid will be either unbalanced with a long minor, or 12-13 bal. Then you don't get to an uncomfortable 3 in a 6-1 fit.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Playing SEF or SAYC is an option for those who don't like the very wide-ranging 1NT response.

No, you can play 2nt by responder forcing as well. I play it that way. With a doubleton spades and 10hcp or with a singleton spades and 11hcp we respond 1nt. Note also that 1-2-2-3 is not forcing.

S.

#22 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-04, 07:09

Wackojack, on 2014-December-04, 05:32, said:

On these lines:
1 -1NT (up to 10-11 points)
2NT (gf) - 3
3 (6 bad spades)- 4 or 4?

Before, we were discussing 2/1 sequences. I believe that after a 2/1 2nt by opener or responder should be game-forcing (except after 1-2). The sequence 1M-1nt is different. But here too it is not a bad idea to play 2nt as game-forcing. Responder can relay with 3 and opener can then show a 5-5 naturally, repeat his 6crd suit or bid 3nt with clubs.

Since 1-1nt-3 is not forcing, going via 2nt is the only way to force with a 6crd spade suit. So it doesn't tell you anything on the suit quality.

Regarding your example: I believe that hand is too strong for a non-forcing 1nt (note that 11hcp is the exception when you only have singleton/void in spades). I recommend this bidding: 1-2-2nt-3-3-4 etc. Responder has now shown (at least) 10hcp, 5 diamonds, 4 clubs and honor doubleton spades. I think it is not unreasonable for opener to ask keycards next and bid 6.

S.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users