BBO Discussion Forums: Where to play? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where to play? From a Gold Cup Match

Poll: Where to play? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your poison

1. 4S (9 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

2. 5D (22 votes [70.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.97%

3. 5H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 6D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 6S (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-20, 04:12

View Postcherdano, on 2014-February-20, 03:30, said:

That's a very strange assumption to make. I am not sure I have ever seen a system where 2 denies 3 spades. There is also small hint in the OP that this pair wasn't playing such a system.

Sigh. I did not say "impossible", I did say "unlikely". Your construction requires
- both remaining spades with partner (let's be generous and say that's 25%), and
- one of them to be the ace (20% as he has 2 out of the 10 outstanding hearts).
That's 5% odds even if you think a preempt with QJT-8th is exactly as likely as with AQJ-8th.

When someone disagrees with your post, do you actually think about the criticism, or do you just auto-reply defending your previous post?

Do you even read my replies, my hand was an example. x, xx, AKxxxx, Axxx has much the same effect, and I have no reason to suppose there are 8 hearts there anyway, AQJ10 7th will do this quite often at this vul, and pretty much ANY hand with 8 hearts to an honour will. I'm unsure of what people do with 3 spades and a diamond suit playing 5M which I never do.

While my construction may be unlikely, IMO there is little damage done when it's not present, partner will usually have something sensible to do (like bid 4 much of the time). It's only seriously wrong when partner has a hand with a singleton or void in spades where you actually want to play 4 which I think is quite unlikely (given that +300 at teams is no disaster). I'd expect to be doubling 4 with many hands with only 5 spades and less than 3 diamonds here, so I'd expect partner to bid 4 on most doubletons.

There is also small hint in the OP that this pair wasn't playing such a system.

yes, but if I have an 8 card suit I bid it in front of a raise, the question is what I do if it's a more normal 5 card suit.

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-20, 04:37

FWIW I would bid 4 here on a two card suit approximately never. I would double. Penalties is too strong a word - double shows a normal 2 over 1 with defensive values/shape.

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-20, 06:29

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-February-20, 04:37, said:

FWIW I would bid 4 here on a two card suit approximately never. I would double. Penalties is too strong a word - double shows a normal 2 over 1 with defensive values/shape.

With a singleton heart ? I can't imagine any hand on which I double with a stiff heart, 2164 surely bids 4 ?

#24 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-20, 06:35

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-February-20, 04:12, said:

I'm unsure of what people do with 3 spades and a diamond suit playing 5M which I never do.

Then why do you post strong opinions in the expert-class forum?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-20, 06:59

View Postcherdano, on 2014-February-20, 06:35, said:

Then why do you post strong opinions in the expert-class forum?

Because at the time I posted my original point, I didn't think it mattered too much. Experts who don't understand Acol post ludicrous stuff in Acol threads, it happens.

#26 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-February-20, 07:29

It's a guess and my guess is 5. From my experience, 4S being cold 5D being hopeless is virtually impossible; the other way around is much more likely. Especially if RHO is looking at a spade stack.. :) (not unlikely in this bidding)

#27 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-20, 12:25

Expert forum notwithstanding, what do you call an eight-card suit?

Having gone for 500 the hard way the other day playing in a 4-3 fit instead of my AKQxxxx, I've learnt my lesson and wouldn't consider anything but 5D here. If we don't like it, perhaps we shouldn't GF with this...

ahydra

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users