Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inverted Minors

#1 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-25, 18:40

E/W play inverted minors - their system is that if there is an intervening bid or double, all bets are off and they revert to "normal".

I have been asked about an incident that occurred last Friday where East opened 1C and South doubled. West bid 2C which was alerted by East and described as 10+ points. The bidding continued and N/S eventually got to 3S making 10 tricks and apparently argued that they would have bid to game if they knew West only had 6 points. East said she did not notice the double and described their system correctly - I contend that her not seeing the double was careless and she did not, in fact, describe their system which is that after an intervening bid or double, 2C is a weak response.

Depending on the hands ( which I did not see as I wasn't at the club ) I would have considered awarding an adjusted score of 4S by N making 10 tricks.
Australia

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-25, 19:34

Yes, your assessment is correct. There was misinformation given. It is neither the opponents' nor the director's problem why the misinformation was given in this case.

A ruling based on whether the misinformation led to damage is appropriate. We don't have enough information to do that yet, on this thread.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-27, 01:12

As aguahombre said, it's misinformation even if the player doesn't realize he's giving incorrect information. The reason might be considered as a mitigating factor if you were considering giving a procedural penalty, but it doesn't affect the basic ruling.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 13:49

Also, the reason for the misinformation doesn't matter to the accompanying (at least FTF) UI case; we need to look at West's actions to ensure that she didn't do anything to cater to partner overestimating her hand by an Ace.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users