• You cannot reply to this topic

Make this slam An additional chance?

#1 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-02, 05:55

6NT by North. J lead.

The blame it easy to assign - it was me (South) who put you in this silly contract. However, the field is not very strong so there will be a substantial number of matchpoints to earn if you can make it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-February-02, 06:07

If the field is not strong I would make heart finese at trick 2 and hope they don't kill my squeeze chances repeating a club.

Over stronger opposition run all diamonds and take a look, there is a good chance LHO is strip squeezed in hearts and clubs, and they might tell me that with their discards.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 08:58

turn those 2 jacks into a major suit Q and you have yourself a 75% + 6n so don't

think it "silly" just because the cards are a tad different than you might have hoped

(w/o the bidding we can't blame you but we also have no clue what the defense

knows about the distribution).

I admit that at the table I would take the heart finesse at trick 2 no matter the strength

of the competition because a finesse is usually a heavier favorite than a squeeze

even if it wont get you printed up in the bulletin. That S club holding also makes a

club return hard to do if you are west upon winning the heart Q (assuming W even has another club)

since a spade return (theoretically breaking up a squeeze) seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more obvious.

The heart finesse at trick 2 either gets us our contract (yay) or at the very least it

rectifies the count for a squeeze unless W makes the hugely unlikely club return.

(sorry fluffy since the defense cannot see the N hand and there appears to be a

monster amount of entries to the s hand If I were trying to break up a squeeze I would

return a spade to get rid of singleton spade in S hand)

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-February-02, 12:01

View PostFluffy, on 2014-February-02, 06:07, said:

If the field is not strong I would make heart finese at trick 2 and hope they don't kill my squeeze chances repeating a club.

That was what my p did. West had KQxx-Qxxx-xxx-xx so there was no squeeze.

I wonder if the winning line is plausible: strip West in the minor suits and play a spade. With KQxx, West will hopefully play an honour so he is endplayed when we duck the spade. If he plays low smoothly we can still try the heart finesse.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 12:10

View Postgszes, on 2014-February-02, 08:58, said:

turn those 2 jacks into a major suit Q and you have yourself a 75% + 6n so don't

think it "silly" just because the cards are a tad different than you might have hoped

(w/o the bidding we can't blame you but we also have no clue what the defense

knows about the distribution).

Yes but with 7 cold it's still a silly spot, and in a weak field 6 prob scores OK.

#6 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-03, 16:52

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-February-02, 12:01, said:

I wonder if the winning line is plausible: strip West in the minor suits and play a spade. With KQxx, West will hopefully play an honour so he is endplayed when we duck the spade. If he plays low smoothly we can still try the heart finesse.

Only double dummy I think--how can you know it's safe to strip the minors? Who has the 4th (or more) club? And even when West shows out on the 3rd round, you have to assume he has KQ or risk East overtaking the Q with the K if you duck, for down 2. Too much can go wrong here I think. Better I think is to try the heart finesse and if that fails play for a squeeze (or a pseudosqueeze if they indeed defend against the squeeze correctly).
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 17:41

helene_t said:

1391364062[/url]' post='776432']

There is no need to strip. Just play a spade up at trick two. If this is the layout and he splits he cannot avoid the double squeeze if you duck. Final position

On the last diamond the double squeeze functions regardless of the position of qh
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users