• You cannot reply to this topic

Play Problem - 3NT

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-29, 04:04

View Postbroze, on 2013-December-28, 03:58, said:

Great analysis here, and very attractive solution by Mr Ace, although just to muddy the waters a tad, you were not quite correct when you said this:

You are right, as Erick spotted i think we can also make when E has specific A2 in diamonds.

Tbh i would probably play just like Andy (Gnasher) wrote at the table and when Nige1 said "...cunning LHO.....maybe there is more to it" and you kinda implied that also with your "Posted Image" symbol, i woke up and tried to solve it. Otherwise i would think Andy already wrote the solution and i would have walked away from the topic. So my analysis was not all that great, since it was built on after it was implied that the previous poster's solution was incorrect/ incomplete. But thanks anyway.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-29, 10:42

I think it is not so difficult for West to see that he should give the fourth diamond round to South.
To avoid this declarer must tighten the position.
Win heart ace, unblock spades and now duck a heart.
To give the defense a chance East must win and switch to clubs.

This will be the end position:

If x is the 8, endplay West in diamonds.
If x is a lower diamond, cash the J and now run the 9
If West wins he is endplayed. If not. endplay him with the 9

A club switch at trick 2 defeats 3NT.

Rainer Herrmann

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-29, 15:40

Rainer,why would E bid 3 with 5 clubs and 6 hearts when his 2 already showed hearts + clubs specifically and pd did not make a preference on his turn ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-29, 18:30

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-29, 15:40, said:

Rainer,why would E bid 3 with 5 clubs and 6 hearts when his 2 already showed hearts + clubs specifically and pd did not make a preference on his turn ?

Maybe you are right.
But the line works just as well if East has five hearts and six clubs.
East must have at most a singleton spade or there is no problem in 3NT and if East has two diamonds I do not see how 3NT can be made against best defense and anyway East heart switch would be strange with another diamond.
Therefor East should have at least 11 cards in hearts and clubs.
I do not see how the heart duck at trick five can loose.

Rainer Herrmann

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users