Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this forcing Learning two over one

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-19, 04:06

Me and my partner are learning to play 2/1 and have different views on a bidding. He opened 1S in third seat and I bid 2D with 10p and Qxxxx. Since I was a passed hand its not gameforcing but shud show near openingstrength. My partner had a good opening and jumped to 4C with 5-5 in S and C but I thought it was a quebid accepting D as trumps. Wouldnt 3C, a new suit on the 3-level be forcing even if I was a passed hand ?

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-19, 04:10

Yes, 1-2-3 is forcing, regardless of 2/1. Whether it shows 5/5 or just extra values is up to you.

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-October-19, 07:10

and yes 4 is doubtless a splinter in support of diamonds.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-19, 08:04

It's forcing. However, I would try to avoid bidding 2 here with a suit of Qxxxx - if partner has a 5314 minimum, he is may well be forced to pass.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-19, 13:28

Many 2/1 players play a 2 or 2 response by a passed hand as conventional since a passed hand can't have a game force so you have to play a different system after 3/4 seat openings anyway.

If you do want to play the 2 bid as forcing, you need to discuss which follow up are forcing. Here are some suggestions:

1) Play 2m as "forcing on responder", i.e. opener can always pass if he doesn't see game opposite a passed hand, but if he bids on he is unlimitted so responder can't pass below game.

2) Play 2m in the same way as you play a 2/1 in a contested auction. I.e. the rules are the same as after 1-(1)-2 when responder is an unpassed hand.

If you decide on 1) it may sound as if
pass-(pass)-1-(pass)
2-(2)-pass*
is forcing, but you probably don't want to play that way unless you don't open particularly light in 3rd seat.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-19, 13:33

You seem to have a good understanding of bidding. 3 would be natural and makes the auction GF (with minimums opener should stay at 2-level), therefore 4 should be something else. In this sequence splinter makes most sense (no point in inviting at 4-level with a 5-5 without a known fit).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-October-19, 18:01

You should probably bid a (semi)forcing 1NT.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#8 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-19, 21:42

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2013-October-19, 04:06, said:

Me and my partner are learning to play 2/1 and have different views on a bidding. He opened 1S in third seat and I bid 2D with 10p and Qxxxx. Since I was a passed hand its not gameforcing but shud show near openingstrength. My partner had a good opening and jumped to 4C with 5-5 in S and C but I thought it was a quebid accepting D as trumps. Wouldnt 3C, a new suit on the 3-level be forcing even if I was a passed hand ?

I must correct something. My partner didnt have 5-5 in S and C. He had 6 spades and 4 clubs and 20 points.

#9 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 03:43

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2013-October-19, 21:42, said:

I must correct something. My partner didnt have 5-5 in S and C. He had 6 spades and 4 clubs and 20 points.

After 2D, either 3C (new suit on the 3 level) or 3S (showing add. values vs. a 2/1 response)
are gameforcing.
Since you are a passed hand, it does not matter, that you happen to play 2/1 game force.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 10:16

For that matter, pretty much anything (save 2, 2NT, 3 and pass) is forcing. Of course, that just punts the "I really have a slam try, partner" down the road to his next bid.

I can see partner with a huge hand wanting to show it; I can see responder thinking it's a splinter.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-21, 11:44

To reiterate what others have said, the 2 bid is not forcing, but it does show close to opening values - 10-11 would be typical. If your suit is Qxxxx, you should not bid 2 as you may wind up playing it there, especially if partner opened light. 1NT would be the right call. If partner passes 1NT (it is not forcing by a passed hand), then 1NT is probably the right place to play the hand.

Opener's rebid of 2 of his suit, a suit below 2 of his suit, or 2NT can be passed. Anything else by opener is game forcing, as it shows extras.

Any bid higher than necessary to show a suit naturally and be forcing is not natural (except for game in opener's first bid suit). So, on the auction P - 1 - 2; the bids 3, 3 and 3 are all natural and forcing, but 4 and 4 should be splinters in support of diamonds. 4 would be to play.

The partnership can certainly vary the meaning of these calls by agreement, but I would guess that these meanings are pretty standard.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users