BBO Discussion Forums: Following posters instead of topics - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Following posters instead of topics

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-July-28, 10:46

I would like to request a feature on the forums where I can get alerts for when certain posters that I select for whatever critera I choose comment on a thread, whether I am following that thread or not.

When Justin, Mike, or Andy, to name a few, comment, then I feel like I can gain from whatever bridge they drop, but I feel like I miss those among the volume of other replies that I find less appealing.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-28, 11:05

Presumably you'll still see the less appealing posts, unless you want their posts without any of the context. So, maybe it's better to use the forum ignore feature and/or use "view posts by member" occasionally:
http://www.bridgebas...tivity&mid=6354 (You get to it from a user's profile, "find my content")

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-29, 09:45

Newer versions of the IP.Board software have a "friend" feature; I'm not really sure what it does. There's a debate in their customer forum regarding changing this to a "follow" system:

http://community.inv...-follow-system/

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-July-29, 10:07

You can click on any user's name, and then click the "find my content" button on the left hand side of the screen. It will show all topics (sadly not individual post) they have made in the last so many days (most recent first). This is sort of a manual way to do what you ask for today.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-29, 10:39

You can also click on the "Topics" and "Posts" tabs in their profile page to see threads they've started recently and the most recent few posts.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 12:33

I think that many of these suggestions fail in the mobile skin
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-29, 14:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-July-29, 12:33, said:

I think that many of these suggestions fail in the mobile skin

I wouldn't be surprised. That's another area that Invision has supposedly improved significantly in newer versions.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 15:02

does bbo need to raise some funding to upgrade the forum software? I may be naive but I would expect this to be a drop in the ocean
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-30, 12:28

The problem isn't money, it's engineering resources. We need to merge our customizations into the new version, and set up a test environment to make sure it works. We're so far behind that there's a good chance we can't simply drop our existing code into the new version.

The version we have is still "good enough", so upgrading is not at the top of the priority list. Unfortunately, it's kind of a deadly spiral -- the more out of date we become, the harder the upgrade is likely to be.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users