BBO Discussion Forums: Lead from equal suits - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead from equal suits

Poll: Lead from equal suits (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which suit is better to lead?

1. Spades (9 votes [47.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

2. Clubs (9 votes [47.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. It's a complete gamble (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-May-04, 01:03

I read about this one, and I was wondering what the expert community thinks about this.

Lets make the reasonable assumption that a or lead is out of the question. What lead is better: or ?

Since Fluffy mentioned a common but non-standard approach: with 4 opener would rebid 1 instead of 1NT.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-04, 02:43

1NT might deny 4 for some people. That makes a difference.

Opponents have less spades on average, but so does partner if you know what I mean, its a bit tough, with so few values its better to try to catch a 5 card suit, and since partner is marked with some values that can only happen in 1 place. So at IMPs club stands out IMO. MPs it will be closer since we could also hit LHO's 5 card suit.

#3 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-May-04, 06:24

I like clubs. With five spades partner might have tried 1.

#4 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-May-04, 07:10

Very good question.

The easier it is for partner to bid 1S the more I should lead clubs. If your style is to find any excuse to overcall you should lead clubs.

The more pts i have, the vulnerabilty, my suits quality and partner overcalling style are all relevant into determining the odds that hes got 5S and not being able to overcall.

Even scoring (MP or imps) is relevant, at mp spades is more safe but at imps going for partner lenght is more tempting. It may seem a bit counter intuitive but IMO partner is slightly more likely to have 4S and less than 4 clubs (than 4C and less than 4S) but hes slightly more likely to have 5clubs than 5S.

Here I would lead a S because there is a fair amount of hand where partner got 5S and wont overcall. But give 765 in the blacks or make partner NV and club is probably better.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#5 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-04, 07:41

As I think DQ will be an entry, the question becomes
which is recoverable if the opening lead is wrong?
I expect RHO's 1Nt expects a S-lead thus a S-stop.
But Cxx/xxx wouldn't deter his 1Nt.
I start SJ, mostly hoping that works,
but maybe CJ through CKxx later.

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-04, 11:26

At MP a spade and at imps a club. Usually you lead your major but with a really bad hand on a power auction you should lead a club if you wanna beat them as others have said since partner couldn't bid.

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2013-May-06, 08:53

The article said that was better than . The reason being that, like Ben stated, it's easier for partner to overcall 1 than 2. As example hands the following were given: KQ976-AT3-T7-987 vs 987-AT3-T7-KQ976. But it's not as simple as the article suggests imo.

I wonder if it's really that much easier to overcall 1. For starters, a 2 overcall can make it more difficult for opps to find a 4-4 fit, especially when they play support doubles. And the fact that we passed over 1 makes it much safer to overcall whatever suit you have for the lead.

As an extra argument I think we'll lead through strength more often when leading , while can be declarer's suit. I guess that's why Justin suggests leading in MP (to maximize number of tricks) while leading the minor at imps (to defeat the contract).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-06, 11:09

Even if you believe in overcalling 2C aggressively red/white in sandwich position (which is definitely against what most people think, but imo it's a fine view to hold), it still has to be much easier to overcall 1S than 2C, it's still a 1 level overcall vs a 2 level overcall. I really doubt anyone overcalls 2C MORE than 1S, even if they are the most aggressive 2C overcaller in the world.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2013-May-06, 11:38

Ah yes, I forgot the vulnerability :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users