• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three of the other major Agreement with slam interest

#21 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-21, 09:17

I'm grateful for all the replies, but most of them (especially the ones you call "easy solutions") won't work because my partner doesn't do "science" at bridge. I thought if I could use an otherwise useless bid to agree partner's suit but keep everything else more or less standard I might have a chance, and three-of-the-other-major might just fit this after Stayman.

I agree that splinters are useful as second round bids in these sequences, but hands with no shortage are more common, and if we use a jump bid on the second round as a splinter we need a way to make a forcing bid on those hands.

Here are my ideas so far:

After 1NT - Stayman - 2M: use 3oM as GF agreement, new suit as natural (F), jump bids in new suits as splinters.

After 1NT - transfer - 2 agreed M: use new suit as natural, jump in new suit as splinter, raise to three of the major as natural and GF*.

*I got this last idea from Paul Hackett, who said that this is not very useful as an invitational bid - you should just decide and pass or bid game if you're borderline. (He was giving a seminar on teams play, so we may be undoing ourselves by adopting this in the pairs game.)

After 2NT - Stayman - 3M: use 3(or4)oM as GF agreement, new suits as splinters.

After 2NT - transfer - 3 agreed M: the only solution I can think of involves making lots of otherwise natural-looking bids forcing to 4NT or 5M, which my partner won't cope with.

I agree that Texas transfers would solve a lot of problems where responder wants to play in that suit regardless of partner's holding. I might just manage to get that one on the card.

Thanks again.

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-21, 09:25

Regardless, what I observe is someone who posts/asks a question because he wants answers from which he can choose. That is a good thing, and not always the case on BBF.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-21, 09:29

VixTD, on 2013-February-21, 09:17, said:

After 2NT - transfer - 3 agreed M: the only solution I can think of involves making lots of otherwise natural-looking bids forcing to 4NT or 5M, which my partner won't cope with.

This one actually works just the way you want it to. After 2NT - 3; 3, you can play 4m as natural (second suit) and 4 as a slam try in spades. You do lose the cue bids but you did not have those anyway if you were playing 4m as natural. 4 to show hearts is not needed since with 5-5 majors you would transfer to hearts first.

Speaking of which, to make this also work for hearts you need to add some sort of science to handle the 5-5 major hand mentioned above. The one way is transfers, as mentioned in my first "simple" post. Another option is to play a Texas-style extension where 2NT - 4 simply shows 5-5 majors. This not only handles the hand type but also has the key advantage of stopping partner from ever being able to use Gerber. If you do this then 2NT - 3; 3 - 3 can be used as a slam try in hearts.

The above assumes that you are playing simple Stayman (not Puppet) and can therefore handle all of the 5-4 major hands that way.
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-21, 10:03

GHS_K_Chow, on 2013-February-21, 09:06, said:

Out of curiosity, any thought to putting the 6 card heart invite into 2S and/or swapping the meanings of 1N - 2; 2 - 3 and 1N - 2; 2 - 2 - something - 3?

Yep. It's pretty standard in some English circles to play the Two Spade then Three Heart sequence to show the invitational six-card suit (transfer and raise forcing, hoverver Fido does it).

There is an obvious reason from an information leakage POV to do it this way: over Two Spades opener just jumps to 4 with any max with three hearts without any faffing. This way responder does not have to tip their shape before the lead. If 2 could conceal a slam try, you could not do this.

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-21, 10:52

Phil, that does not work in my structure because of the club transfer component. Responder can have a slammy hand even if they do not have the one-suiter. I assume "Fido" do not play second round transfers here, or if they do then they are able to use the 2NT rebid for clubs.

#26 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-21, 11:39

Zelandakh, on 2013-February-21, 10:52, said:

Phil, that does not work in my structure because of the club transfer component. Responder can have a slammy hand even if they do not have the one-suiter. I assume "Fido" do not play second round transfers here, or if they do then they are able to use the 2NT rebid for clubs.

Ah, OK. I got one other component of your structure wrong as well. I was reading the 3m via 2S auctions as inv, which they are not.

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-22, 04:06

PhilKing, on 2013-February-21, 11:39, said:

Ah, OK. I got one other component of your structure wrong as well. I was reading the 3m via 2S auctions as inv, which they are not.

Yeah, if you can handle the 54 invitational hand another way, such as via 2, then 2 as a general invite is better. Unfortunately I cannot do that (due to switching to Puppet) so I need the 3 sequences 1NT - 2NT... 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT... and 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT to handle all of the "both major" invites, 54, 54 and 44 respectively. When I was playing normal Stayman I used a different transfer structure but it is long enough ago that I cannot remember it 100%.

#28 User is offline   GHS_K_Chow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 05:25

Zelandakh, on 2013-February-22, 04:06, said:

Yeah, if you can handle the 54 invitational hand another way, such as via 2, then 2 as a general invite is better. Unfortunately I cannot do that (due to switching to Puppet) so I need the 3 sequences 1NT - 2NT... 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT... and 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT to handle all of the "both major" invites, 54, 54 and 44 respectively. When I was playing normal Stayman I used a different transfer structure but it is long enough ago that I cannot remember it 100%.

How do people handle it if a 2S rebid after stayman is a 5 card spade invite?

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-22, 05:59

GHS_K_Chow, on 2013-February-22, 05:25, said:

How do people handle it if a 2S rebid after stayman is a 5 card spade invite?

I am not sure I understand the question given that the passage you quoted relates to a Puppet resposne structure. If you play this then it frees up the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT to be used as clubs, getting back the second round transfers even with spades. Or you can have 2 types of invite, one based on power and the other requiring a fit. I am not sure what knock-on effect you mean for 1NT - 2 sequences.

FWiiW, I know I did not use 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 in this way, nor have I ever done so. This was a Baron range ask for me in the old normal Stayman method (but shows 4 hearts in the Puppet build).

#30 User is offline   GHS_K_Chow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 12:19

I was wondering how most people handled hands with 5 and 4 and invitational if they played transfers after transfers and 2 rebid after stayman as 5 cards invitational.

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:15

I cannot answer for anyone else but, as above, I play 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT as 54 and invitational. Given your conditions, another simple solution would be to drop Crawing Stayman and use 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 as 5 hearts and invitational. If you were to take the club hands out of Stayman, for example by using 2 for 2-suited hands and 3 for one-suiters (as I do), then you could play 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 (or 3) as an invite with 5 and 4, although that would obviously not allow you to stop in 2NT when there is no fit. Not surprisingly, I like my solution best from these. Other solutions exist too - for example I play 1NT - 2NT as an invite with 5 and 4. There is nothing stopping anyone from making this 5 and 4 if that is the awkward hand for the system.

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:47

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all of those transfer schemes only necessary because of playing 2C Puppet and trying to overcome the problems of Puppet when responder is 5/4 or 4/5 in the Majors and only invitational in strength?

Just asking, but offhand it seems much easier to not use 2C Puppet and let 2C-2D-2M just be mini Smolen from which opener decides right then to sign off in 2NT, 3H/2S, 3NT, or 4M. without further leakage and opener always playing the hand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users