Play 4 spade at imp pairs

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-06, 14:04

IMP pairs, uncontested auction after S opens 2NT, stayman and 4

Lead : T, Q, K and A ( T denies J )

What is your plan for first 3 tricks ? ( After that i will provide you what they played if you don't wanna write what would you do if A or B or C happens )
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-07, 04:11

View PostMrAce, on 2012-December-06, 14:04, said:

What is your plan for first 3 tricks ? ( After that i will provide you what they played if you don't wanna write what would you do if A or B or C happens )

A, A, ruffed low. I then wonder who dealt: if "someone other than S", I know W has some values. I play a to the 9, as each exit to W sets up an endplay.

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-07, 04:25

You do not have the dummy entries to take all the finesses you would like to take.
Without thinking too long I would bang down the trump ace followed by the diamond ace.
If no diamond honor appears I have no choice but continue establishing diamonds.
If I have two diamond losers I will probably end up taking both black suit finesses.
If they return a heart I will first have to establish diamonds to avoid getting forced.
If a diamond honor drops I play the trump king and if the queen of trumps is still outstanding I continue with diamonds.
If trumps are 4-1 I likely need the club finesse.
Otherwise if the trump queen appears I can draw trumps and play for overtricks.

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-07, 20:16

How about winning the lead, ruffing a heart and then playing a diamond to the 9?

#5 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-08, 03:28

View PostWesleyC, on 2012-December-07, 20:16, said:

How about winning the lead, ruffing a heart and then playing a diamond to the 9?

Probably best, but not foolproof.
East could ruff the diamond return and return a club.
Now you have a very nasty guess what to do.
Cashing one round of trumps first as CamHenry suggests looks like an improvement.

Rainer Herrmann

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-December-08, 11:36

Can't you guys see a way to make this 4 when diamonds 3-1 KQ off side, 4-1 spade break and K of club off side ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-08, 14:32

View PostMrAce, on 2012-December-08, 11:36, said:

Can't you guys see a way to make this 4 when diamonds 3-1 KQ off side, 4-1 spade break and K of club off side ?

That is not the issue:

If the layout is

You should ruff your heart and run the J when East does not split. Continue diamonds! West can ruff but is end-played
If West returns a heart ruff in dummy (discard a club) and run the jack of trumps.

If the layout is

You should ruff your heart and play the J and put up the ace when East does not cover!
Best defense is for East to ruff partner's diamond trick and switch to clubs.
Declarer has then to guess the spade queen.
But I now see that cashing a trump early is not a good idea and leads to defeat on repeated heart leads when trumps split 4-1.

On the first layout West might lead his singleton and maybe he wouldn't. He has 4 trumps.
However, East will probably split in diamonds.
So the second layout is more likely when no diamond honor appears.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-December-09, 03:20

View Postrhm, on 2012-December-08, 14:32, said:

But I now see that cashing a trump early is not a good idea and leads to defeat on repeated heart leads when trumps split 4-1.

Rainer Herrmann

Yes, thats why i posted this hand. It requires to play trumps in a way that we give up on singleton Q but not lose control later when they split 4-1 by not touching them b4 establishing te suit.

Actual hand is your second layout Rainer.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-09, 05:42

View PostMrAce, on 2012-December-09, 03:20, said:

Yes, thats why i posted this hand. It requires to play trumps in a way that we give up on singleton Q but not lose control later when they split 4-1 by not touching them b4 establishing te suit.

Actual hand is your second layout Rainer.

But as difficult a play is to put up the A when the J is not covered.
Granted the defense might go wrong if you run the J to West.
But if West, who only feels end-played, returns a diamond and East ruffs and returns a club you are down.
If West can deduce from East diamond spot that East should have an odd number of diamonds this defense is not so far fetched.

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users