Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any substitution allowed?

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-09, 07:42

This much-discussed situation came up at the club last night (MP pairs, EW vul, dealer South):

The auction started: 2 - (2) - 2
I was called to deal with the insufficient bid, so I took offender out of the room and asked what was going on.

He said his partner's opener was an Acol artificial near game force, and he hadn't seen the intervention. I asked about their agreed responses to 2, and was told that 2 was a relay. I asked further whether all hands respond 2 (if next hand passes), and was told, yes.

If the insufficient bid is not accepted, do you allow any substitution without silencing South?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 07:49

View PostVixTD, on 2012-October-09, 07:42, said:

If the insufficient bid is not accepted, do you allow any substitution without silencing South?

Yes. Whatever he calls will have a more precise meaning than "any hand I might hold". I might question North further about what he would do with a clear positive with a good suit, but some people really do play that they bid 2D whatever they hold.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-09, 08:02

I would allow North to replace the 2 bid by any legal call, and South may bid what he wants, because any call is more precise than a relay that does not show anything. (Law 27B1b)

Karl

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 09:27

Yes, if 2D was automatic without interference, any substitution should be allowed. Opener will only have the information of the replacement call and no other information ---whatever their agreements over interference might be. It might be different if the 2D bid had conveyed any information not necessarily included in the replacement call.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 15:55

I, too, would have asked what does 2-2 means. I'd either get "Oh, that's (some random positive)" or a look of total confusion (or, rarely, a knowledgable "no, we do really play 2 automatic"); I bet I'd know what their methods actually are after that.

Of course, over here, I'd likely get "2 GF, 2 immediate double negative" (with the same caveats of "what does a positive look like?") in which case, I'd be comfortable allowing "pass GF, double immediate double negative", provided changes in positives don't happen (except, of course, for 2 positive).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-10, 07:00

I did allow any correction without barring South, warned them about possible lead penalties and let them get on with it.

I was slightly worried that "always" doesn't always mean always. Many partnerships (including mine) agree to play relays, but will bid something else with an exceptional hand. I do it often enough to have discussed it with partner and to have an agreement, but I could easily believe this pair do not.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-10, 08:14

View Postgordontd, on 2012-October-09, 07:49, said:

Yes. Whatever he calls will have a more precise meaning than "any hand I might hold". I might question North further about what he would do with a clear positive with a good suit, but some people really do play that they bid 2D whatever they hold.

It is not necessary to have a more precise meaning; an equally precise meaning suffices. Let us say that the pair has the agreement that after overcalls of 2C at the 2-level, all hands pass, and without an overcall all hands bid 2D, then the meaning of Pass would be equally precise. And even if North would bid another suit with a clear positive and a good suit, the meaning would be equally precise after an overcall of 2D. If double would show some hand types, then Pass would indeed be more precise.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users