BBO Discussion Forums: Call after RHO opens 3H - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Call after RHO opens 3H

#1 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2012-September-26, 08:34

Teams/Imp's

- I didn't play this with my regular partner. No agreements, so assume everything is natural.
- With my regular partner we have some strange agreements where DBL=transfer to ♠; and 4♦=6c♦&4c♠; and 3♠ is transfer to 3NT (no stop); and 5♦ is to play. With these agreement 3♠ is obvious?
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#2 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-26, 08:44

One of these days I'm going to open a kgr thread and not see some bizarre structure mentioned.

Yes, I think if I did play these methods, 3♠ seems sensible, since we can rightside the hand when partner has the A.

I would bid 3N with a straight face.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
1

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-26, 09:45

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-26, 08:44, said:

One of these days I'm going to open a kgr thread and not see some bizarre structure mentioned.

Yes, I think if I did play these methods, 3♠ seems sensible, since we can rightside the hand when partner has the A.

I would bid 3N with a straight face.



3N is a parlay that 1) partner has hearts stopped, 2) partner has at least a trick outside of his heart stop, and 3) that partner doesn't raise you or put you in 4♠ anyway.

Call me chicken, but I'm going to do the old-fashioned thing and bid what's in front of my face - 4♦. I know that will be the best action at matchpoints (frequency basis), and I bet a sim would prove its also best at teams.
Chris Gibson
0

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-26, 10:27

View Postkgr, on 2012-September-26, 08:34, said:

Teams/Imp's

- I didn't play this with my regular partner. No agreements, so assume everything is natural.
- With my regular partner we have some strange agreements where DBL=transfer to ♠; and 4♦=6c♦&4c♠; and 3♠ is transfer to 3NT (no stop); and 5♦ is to play. With these agreement 3♠ is obvious?

And what do you do with a takeout double? I guess 3S and partner can still pass for penalties (=penalising me for making him play these methods).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#5 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-26, 10:31

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-September-26, 09:45, said:

3N is a parlay that 1) partner has hearts stopped, 2) partner has at least a trick outside of his heart stop, and 3) that partner doesn't raise you or put you in 4♠ anyway.

Call me chicken, but I'm going to do the old-fashioned thing and bid what's in front of my face - 4♦. I know that will be the best action at matchpoints (frequency basis), and I bet a sim would prove its also best at teams.


You aren't a chicken. I'm re-reading Matchpoints, and there's a similar hand with 4225 16 where Woolsey with a 2♥ opening and he suggested a 3m overcall instead of 2N or an offshape double.

Call me crazy, but I also win when LHO doesn't lead his stiff heart, hearts block, or RHO ducks expecting me to have Qxx. As far as developing a 9th trick, this isn't much of a concern if RHO is out of the picture since I'm playing double dummy.

I'm also a big believer in the idea if you have to guess, at least guess where there's some upside.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#6 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2012-September-26, 11:18

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-26, 10:27, said:

And what do you do with a takeout double? I guess 3S and partner can still pass for penalties (=penalising me for making him play these methods).

Note that here I didn't play with my regular partner, so the methods didn't apply.
For methods with my regular partner: DBL is transfer to ♠, at least a 4c♠. With a TO DBL we can also DBL if we have at least 4c♠.
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-26, 11:47

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-26, 10:31, said:

You aren't a chicken. I'm re-reading Matchpoints, and there's a similar hand with 4225 16 where Woolsey with a 2♥ opening and he suggested a 3m overcall instead of 2N or an offshape double.

Call me crazy, but I also win when LHO doesn't lead his stiff heart, hearts block, or RHO ducks expecting me to have Qxx. As far as developing a 9th trick, this isn't much of a concern if RHO is out of the picture since I'm playing double dummy.

I'm also a big believer in the idea if you have to guess, at least guess where there's some upside.


There is upside to 4♦, or any call that accurately describes our hand opposite an unpassed partner. This could very easily get us to our diamond slam, or making diamond game when 3N is going down 3 vulnerable. This is not the same situation where we are in the balancing seat after an opponent has failed to raise, partner can have a heart void still at this point. I don't think the math supports a 3N call, even though it can work sometimes.
Chris Gibson
0

#8 User is offline   lalldonn 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,066
  • Joined: 2012-March-06

Posted 2012-September-26, 11:59

I'm so sure 3NT is the best bid (ignoring the weird methods) that I wouldn't be happy if my partner did anything else.

If I was really playing 3♠ is a transfer to 3NT, then sure why not do that!
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55
1

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-26, 14:19

oops
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#10 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2012-September-28, 09:14

Thank you all for the answers.
I wondered if this could also be a 3NT bid and for some it actually seems to be (I'm not convinced it is best).
Maybe I should not post who the bidding continued :rolleyes: :
Teams/Imp's

My partner was weak with a 6c♠. LHO had ♠KQx and a singleton ♥.
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users