BBO Discussion Forums: Void opposite Void - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Void opposite Void

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-July-03, 04:34

Playing last night at my local club this hand came up:

We got to the good spot of 6, but 6 is safer. How could our auction have been improved?

No one else reached slam, so 6 +1 would have also been a top.

#2 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:52

Since 2 shows 5+4+, W can place the contract in the known 10 card fit instead of the 8card fit

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:58

West could have not got greedy and just bid 6 as his last bid. There are plenty of other options, but I don't have any problems with any of your bids.

One alternative would be to redouble 4 to show a first round control. Whether you have the agreement that having done this with a suit agreed, if partner is looking at the ace of that suit he doesn't show it to a subsequent blackwood ask as you're clearly void is up to you.

Another would have been to bid 4 instead of 3, I'd be interested what other people think it means.

#4 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-July-03, 07:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-July-03, 06:58, said:

West could have not got greedy and just bid 6 as his last bid. There are plenty of other options, but I don't have any problems with any of your bids.

One alternative would be to redouble 4 to show a first round control. Whether you have the agreement that having done this with a suit agreed, if partner is looking at the ace of that suit he doesn't show it to a subsequent blackwood ask as you're clearly void is up to you.

Another would have been to bid 4 instead of 3, I'd be interested what other people think it means.

We did have the agreement that redouble shows first round control. I'm not sure why my partner didn't choose to use it.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-July-03, 11:30

Based on your agreements, the bidding looks fine to me.

It seems like West just made the matchpoint judgement to bid the higher scoring slam.

At IMPS, it would be 100% right to bid 6 instead which rates to be the safer slam.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users