• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

continue playing....

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-11, 05:47

playing against 2 LOLs RHO anounces loudly without being asked that she doesn't know if 2 is transfer to hearts.

you call director, they feel insulted, etc, director says continue playing. So your turn.

If you ask what a 2 opening would show

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-11, 06:11

I'd pass. If partner can't double this, it's quite likely to make. Maybe that means I should bid something, but I'm not sure what.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-April-11, 06:56

It's stuff like this that makes me pissed off generally with playing in bridge clubs.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-April-11, 07:34

I'll double-shoot. Let them try to convince the director that my double is a SEWOG :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-April-13, 05:06

I doubled but they had a perfect hand for this contract, KQx opposite jack, J109xxxx opposite Qx, and A+A. -110 was a bottom anyway, only winning action at this point was to bid 3.

#6 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-13, 05:37

I promise that I decided to pass before I read the result. But there is, or might be, still a director issue here. Does lho have a hand that would bid 3D absent her partner's remark? Even at a club game I should think the argument that 3D makes while 2HX goes down in flames is irrelevant if it is the remark rather than her cards that make 3D the clear call at the time she made it.

Otoh, you chose to play in this game, and I assume it's not your usual venue. So maybe forget it. Or is this pair the outlier?

This "She didn't bid 2D" amuses me. I once had a similar situation. On lead, I asked whether in the auction a particular bid was forcing. The opponents seemed incapable of answering this. They pointed out the the partner had bid over it. Yes, but was it forcing? "I bid over it!!!", Yes but....Oh well.
Ken

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-13, 05:39

How about passing 2H? Was +400 a good matchpoint score?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 06:25

What makes you think that LHLOL would pass 2 undoubled?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   ahh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-13, 06:35

After many years of struggling to keep my temper and miserably failing I have decided that if I choose to play in games where this behaviour is accepted by the directors and the players as the norm then I have to either play in it and accept it or not play . If you call the director and upset people you are in the wrong. They are not wanting anything other than a friendly night out without grief . They do not want to play bridge as i know it. So to keep my sanity I either don't play or if I do I turn a blind eye to it and smile to myself .My road to Damascus moment came after 37 years of playing in a club where I mistakenly thought they were above these things but nowadays to them a pleasant argument- free atmosphere is more important . I accept that so far of the majority of club bridge players is concerned I am out of step so the onus is on me to conform or stay away .So I stay away, play on line and no longer take blood pressure tablets.
Oh online bridge problems now that's another story :)

#10 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:53

so double was a "i'm frustrated" double and partner didnt field it?

i'm curious how partner would have explained it were he asked what it means.
OK
bed

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-13, 18:14

View Postahh, on 2012-April-13, 06:35, said:

If you call the director and upset people you are in the wrong. They are not wanting anything other than a friendly night out without grief .

I do not blame you for not wanting to play at clubs where calling the director "upsets people" and causes them "grief". I hope this is not the case at the majority of clubs in your area.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users