BBO Discussion Forums: Shall I take you out... - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shall I take you out... of 3NT?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-March-23, 07:41

♠Qxx
♥KQJxx
♦KQxxx
♣---

1♥-2♦
3♦-3NT
???

MP's, both red. SAYC.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

  • AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,840
  • Joined: 2009-September-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2012-March-23, 08:01

At MPs I'm tempted not to. Teams I probably would try 4D just in case partner has a hand like KJx Ax Axxxx Jxx, in the worst case we can play 5D.

ahydra
1

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-23, 08:28

I am not concerned about 3NT. I am concerned about 6♦ (or even a grand).

If your only question is whether I would pass 3NT, the answer is no. Never.

I would not be surprised to find out that 6♦ is cold and that 3NT has no play.
0

#4 User is offline   HighLow21 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 781
  • Joined: 2012-January-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-March-23, 12:51

18 reasons to take out of 3nt and not one to leave it in. If you think passing 3nt is a potential matchpoint victory, you need your head examined.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!
0

#5 User is offline   HighLow21 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 781
  • Joined: 2012-January-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-March-23, 12:53

View Postahydra, on 2012-March-23, 08:01, said:

At MPs I'm tempted not to. Teams I probably would try 4D just in case partner has a hand like KJx Ax Axxxx Jxx, in the worst case we can play 5D.

ahydra

Umm, 6♦?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!
0

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2012-March-23, 13:13

Am literally closer to blasting 6D than passing 3N.

If the question is what is the best way to move past 3N, I dont know. 4D and 4S are good bids imo.

I thint was wrong to bid a NF 3d. I have so much potential here. I would have tried 4c over 2D as a splinter.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#7 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,169
  • Joined: 2011-November-21
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-23, 19:03

It seems ill defined what pulling to 4C is here, but the best treatment seems to be it's a splinter if it's a new suit or weak scramble if you're rebidding a suit someone has already bid.
1

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2012-March-24, 14:05

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-March-23, 19:03, said:

It seems ill defined what pulling to 4C is here, but the best treatment seems to be it's a splinter if it's a new suit or weak scramble if you're rebidding a suit someone has already bid.

Neither of those seems very useful to me. If opener had a shortage, he would have splintered on the previous round. With a weak hand and no great fit he would pass 3NT. With a weak hand, a good fit, and a hand that didn't want to play 3NT, he would bid game in the suit.

In the given sequence, I'd play 4♣ as just a cue-bid. If clubs were responder's suit, I'd play is as a slam try, inviting cue-bidding.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
1

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,617
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2012-March-24, 18:55

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-24, 14:05, said:

In the given sequence, I'd play 4♣ as just a cue-bid. If clubs were responder's suit, I'd play is as a slam try, inviting cue-bidding.


I play pulling to partner's minor as RKCB. On this hand it doesn't work (not that I'm saying I would choose it anyway) as I have a void, but do you think that it is a poor agreement in general?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#10 User is offline   Yu18772 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 466
  • Joined: 2010-August-31
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 2012-March-24, 20:31

Yes - 4♦/♣ - depends on partner (hoping him to figure out).
The question why did I bid 3♦ and not splinter?

Posted ImageYu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
1

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,485
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2012-March-25, 02:16

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-23, 13:13, said:

I thint was wrong to bid a NF 3d.

Since they are playing SAYC, 3♦ was not NF.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2012-March-25, 04:06

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-24, 18:55, said:

I play pulling to partner's minor as RKCB. On this hand it doesn't work (not that I'm saying I would choose it anyway) as I have a void, but do you think that it is a poor agreement in general?

I always think low-level ace-asking agreements are bad, because a natural meaning is more useful.

In this sequence as opener, a natural 4D bid lets you bid a hand like Ax AQJxx KQxx xx sensibly: you can bid 4D, simultaneously denying a club control and inviting a cue-bid in a major.

If partner bids 4♥ over that, you will know that he has both a club control and ♥K. Now you're well-placed to use Keycard, because you know what you're goung to do opposite any reply.

If, instead, he bids 4♠, you know that we're missing ♥K, so slam will require the right cards from him - eg Kxx xx Axxxx AQx - so you bid 5♦ (or maybe a last-train 5♣) and leave it up to him.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users