• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An auction is this forcing?

#21 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-14, 12:31

[quote name='Codo' timestamp='1331733996' post='620789']

3. If 3 shows 4315 (or similar) and forcing values, what does 3 show?

It would show a 4135 (4405), probably a hand worried about hearts in NT

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-14, 12:51

View PostCodo, on 2012-March-11, 17:39, said:

Some easy questions:
1. What do you lose if you play 4. suit forcing and 3 nonforcing?
2. What do you fear if you bid your 4 card spade suit before you bid your 3 card heart suit with a 4306 or 4315?

1- 4th suit ( in this case ). If we use this as 4th suit, we LOSE the natural meaning of it such as

Axxx
--
AQxx
KQTxx

Axxx
x
AQx
KQTxx

Remember 3 bid is not only made for finding 5-3 fit before game but also gives partner some important information about your hand, for example

Axxx
AQx
x
KQTxx

vs

Kx
Kxxx
Txxx
AJx

Pd now knows what a great fitting hand u guys have and even if cant find slam, at least will not play inferior 3NT. Why would someone give away those benefits of natural bids in order to be able to play a 4-3 fit at 3 level when our side has 23-24 hcp ? Where is this NT phobia coming from ?

2- Again, why would someone want to rebid his 4 card at 3 level which he already showed ? It loses your ability to bid it natural with 6-5 or 5-5.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-14, 17:11

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-14, 12:51, said:

1- ... Why would someone give away those benefits of natural bids in order to be able to play a 4-3 fit at 3 level when our side has 23-24 hcp ? Where is this NT phobia coming from ?

+1

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-14, 12:51, said:

2- Again, why would someone want to rebid his 4 card at 3 level which he already showed ? It loses your ability to bid it natural with 6-5 or 5-5.

I think this is talking about if opener raises with 3 card support instead of rebidding 1. But even with this style, if opener is too strong for a simple 2 raise with 4=3=1=5, would they not rebid 1? So you'd still need a way of checking for a 5-3 fit after 2NT.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users