BBO Discussion Forums: Balancing - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balancing +80 wasn't a good score

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-March-07, 02:53

Matchpoints, unfavourable. Lefty opens 1♠ passed to you.
♠9xxxx ♥KQJTx ♦xx ♣x
Do you reopen and what with?
0

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-07, 02:59

Pass. I don't understand this board. I am this long in spades and p still passed. I suspect partner has a 2m overcall but pulled a green card by mistake. He might have a long and very weak minor and a short chubby other minor (x Ax AQJx Jxxxxx?). But that's OK, it could work out for the best.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#3 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2012-March-07, 04:20

Pass.
I am long in their suit and weak.
Bidding would often result in going down in some high contract.

You mean -80 wasn't a good score for us?
Well , my guess is that happened either because RHO passed with a hand others responded with and got too high , or because pd preferred to Pass when others made a "modern"/imperfect takeout double.
1

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-March-07, 04:25

I mean in all the other tables they got too high and went down. Lefty had a 19 count and his partner had zilch, so the only way I see for them to end up higher (since you can't beat 1♠) is for whoever held my cards to balance. It seemed like completely the wrong call (for the reasons mentioned), but whenever I do something nobody else does, I check my sanity.
0

#5 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2012-March-07, 04:29

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-07, 04:25, said:

I mean in all the other tables they got too high and went down. Lefty had a 19 count and his partner had zilch, so the only way I see for them to end up higher (since you can't beat 1♠) is for whoever held my cards to balance. It seemed like completely the wrong call (for the reasons mentioned), but whenever I do something nobody else does, I check my sanity.


I would guess that in most other tables it didnt go 1S -P -P -?
If LHO had 19 , and RHO 0 , your pd had 15. Perhaps in many other tables your pd's hand found a call with the 15 count?
1

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-March-07, 04:32

Sorry, I thought later "zilch" might be misleading. He had a queen and two jacks or so, not enough to make a response in a standard system.
1

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

  • AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,840
  • Joined: 2009-September-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2012-March-07, 08:38

Right, but that still leaves partner with an 11-count, so why hasn't he bid :/ (having said that, the hand is almost certainly a misfit now, and at unfavourable +80 may well be par!)

ahydra
1

#8 User is offline   SimonFa 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 419
  • Joined: 2011-April-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Dorset, England
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-March-10, 14:06

If lefty had 19 HCP maybe the other tables opened 2NT or 2C? Playing a lot of GIB tournaments recently I have noticed that a lot of humans open those on much less.

Simon
1

#9 User is offline   Statto 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 636
  • Joined: 2011-December-01
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-11, 22:32

I bid 2♥. It's light for unfavourable but I expect partner to have something, not least the King I borrowed. If 2♠ comes back round (unlikely), I'm more happy to sit that.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein
1

#10 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-12, 00:52

I pass and this is not a difficult decision.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#11 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2012-March-13, 21:33

This is just example 4676432 why matchpoints is a different animal from IMPs. We are taking at least 4 more tricks in hearts than spades, ergo we have to bid against NV opponents in a1-level contract. Hopefully partner not overcalling depite short spades puts some limit on his ability to bury me for balancing.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users