BBO Discussion Forums: Insomnia - II - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insomnia - II

#1 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-11, 05:11

R/w

Ax JT9xxx x xxxx. Pard opens 1♠, 1N you, 2♦ on left 2♥ by partner. RHO bids 3♦.

You might not agree but I didn't want to stampede my opponents into a (making?) sac so I went a little slow with 3♥. Pard bids 4 but RHO (very aggro) bids 5♦ anyway.

You?

1♠ - (p) - 1N - (2♦);
2♥ - (3♦) - 3♥ - (p);
4♥ - (5♦) -?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

  • 5555
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,520
  • Joined: 2003-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-December-11, 09:06

I would pass (forcing).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke
0

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-11, 09:41

I got quite a bit of unexpected offense and not much in terms of defense, so 5H for me.
0

#4 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-11, 11:17

View Postcherdano, on 2011-December-11, 09:06, said:

I would pass (forcing).


Looked in my bidding box and couldn't find a forcing pass card :) is it a different shade of green? Seriously I wouldn't expect partner to read this as forcing, and im not sure even my regulars would.

Speaking of green cards LOL @ me in the second session. The gentlemen on your right is wearing a really obnoxious blazer that is the color of a new pool table felt. He slaps a stop card on the table but since you cant stand to look in his direction, your peripheral vision just sees 'green' and a card on the tables so you think he passes and you open 1N out of turn with Axxx AKQx Txx Kx. LHO doesn't accept so RHO opens 3♣. You can choose 3N and pard is barred for one round (not particularly helpful) or barred for the duration if you do anything else. Your call?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-December-11, 18:58

This looks like a 5H bid to me.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-December-11, 23:19

View PostPhil, on 2011-December-11, 05:11, said:

You might not agree but I didn't want to stampede my opponents into a (making?) sac so I went a little slow with 3♥. Pard bids 4 but RHO (very aggro) bids 5♦ anyway.

You?

Yep, when I slowroll, I end up in situations like this, where I have to make a decision totally incongruous with my previous bids.

Partner would be the one charged with making the last mistake, if I had jumped to 4H. And the 5D bidder or his partner would possibly have a problem as well. Once I decided to be cute, whatever I do now will be a unilateral crapshoot. Looks like you and your RHO should be partners. He did the same thing with a simple raise then a unilateral 5D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#7 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2011-December-12, 01:22

View PostPhil, on 2011-December-11, 11:17, said:

Looked in my bidding box and couldn't find a forcing pass card :) is it a different shade of green? Seriously I wouldn't expect partner to read this as forcing, and im not sure even my regulars would.



Pass here is (or "should be") forcing , because the same opponent who previously bid 3♦, went to 5♦ when we bid game. In such situations it is sensible assumption that they are saving, so our Pass should be forcing.
0

#8 User is offline   sathyab 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 575
  • Joined: 2006-November-07

Posted 2011-December-12, 07:17

View Postcherdano, on 2011-December-11, 09:06, said:

I would pass (forcing).

What's the purpose of passing here ? Even if partner passes the test, understands that the pass is forcing and doubles, are you ever going to sit for it with so much offense and virtually no defense ? And wouldn't pass and pull show a better hand than bidding 5♥ directly ?
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."
0

#9 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,247
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 2011-December-12, 08:47

5♥ ( for the reasons already stated ) ..... ( eventhough the 5-level belongs to Nigel ).
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .
0

#10 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-December-12, 10:25

5♥. 3NT on the other question (or 4♥, or 4♠); not passing though.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#11 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-12, 10:52

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-December-11, 23:19, said:

Yep, when I slowroll, I end up in situations like this, where I have to make a decision totally incongruous with my previous bids.

Partner would be the one charged with making the last mistake, if I had jumped to 4H. And the 5D bidder or his partner would possibly have a problem as well. Once I decided to be cute, whatever I do now will be a unilateral crapshoot. Looks like you and your RHO should be partners. He did the same thing with a simple raise then a unilateral 5D.


When you pick up a hand like this, especially at MPs, your goal should be "please let me play 4♥, pleeaasse". Whats the best way to accomplish this? It's going to be close to a 20/20 deck so the defenders will have some defense, however that defense is pretty worthless in partners presumed club shortness. I could pass but the auction will die there. 4♥ looks 'obvious' but do you really think partner can make an intelligent decision over 5♦? Why couldn't we have 1-2 hearts less and compensating HCP? No, I'm convinced 3♥ is the correct tactical call here.

Anyway, I stabbed 5♥ and partner had a semi-max and it rolled. Frankly I was sort of hoping RHO tried 6♦....
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#12 User is offline   sathyab 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 575
  • Joined: 2006-November-07

Posted 2011-December-12, 11:04

View PostPhil, on 2011-December-12, 10:52, said:

When you pick up a hand like this, especially at MPs, your goal should be "please let me play 4♥, pleeaasse". Whats the best way to accomplish this? It's going to be close to a 20/20 deck so the defenders will have some defense, however that defense is pretty worthless in partners presumed club shortness. I could pass but the auction will die there. 4♥ looks 'obvious' but do you really think partner can make an intelligent decision over 5♦? Why couldn't we have 1-2 hearts less and compensating HCP? No, I'm convinced 3♥ is the correct tactical call here.

Anyway, I stabbed 5♥ and partner had a semi-max and it rolled. Frankly I was sort of hoping RHO tried 6♦....


I agree partner will have a tough time making an intelligent decision over 5♦, no way can he play you this kind of hand when you have 'only' bid 3♥ earlier. But a more serious problem may be that he may never have an opportunity to decide over 5♦ at all, as the bidding can quite easily die in 3♥. Even aggressive MP players would not rush to the 4-level as readily as they would to get to the 3-level.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users