BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

Poll: ATB (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is to blame?

  1. All North (4 votes [17.39%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.39%

  2. Mostly North (3 votes [13.04%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.04%

  3. Both North and South (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. Mostly South (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. All South (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. No blame/Opponents/Other (16 votes [69.57%])

    Percentage of vote: 69.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2011-December-04, 18:48

Form of scoring: Swiss (7 board matches)


Assess the blame for missing a makeable game.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-December-04, 18:56

Was it bid at the other table? If so good luck to them.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-December-04, 19:30

Despite its low HCP total and the doubtful value of the ♥K, the North hand is huge opposite a 5 card spade suit. I assume the free 1♠ bid showed a 5 card suit.

I would bid 3♠ over 1♠ on the North hand. If that doesn't get us to game, then nothing short of 4♠ on the North hand will do. And that would be just too much.
0

#4 User is offline   Statto 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 636
  • Joined: 2011-December-01
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2011-December-04, 22:04

I blame West for not having ♠K :o
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein
1

#5 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2011-December-05, 01:08

View PostCascade, on 2011-December-04, 18:56, said:

Was it bid at the other table? If so good luck to them.

Yes. Unfortunately.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-December-05, 02:41

If partner has ♠AKxxx then you have ten tricks but you might (probably) have four losers.

I think this one is a bit of a miracle. Neither player is going to appreciate how good their heart holding is.

Perhaps north could have done a bit more but south isn't going to bid game.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-05, 03:07

I think East was too conservative, and was lucky to find ♠A offside.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,344
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-December-05, 03:19

I don't think you're going to bid this one unless you're pushed into it by EW bidding at the 4 level. It's also not that good a game (50% for K♠ less the chance of a club ruff if they're not 3-2), around borderline for a vulnerable game at teams, so no real blame.
0

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-05, 08:06

Blame for missing a game on 18 hcp and an aceless hand vs flattish one? Gimme a break.
0

#10 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-05, 11:03

South did nothing wrong.

Some charge to North. This is a pretty nice hand opposite five (I assume) spades. I'd muster up a 3♠ call I think, although I'm not sure South has enough to go on anyway.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#11 User is offline   jdeegan 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,427
  • Joined: 2005-August-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-December-06, 12:56

:P It is a 50-50 game?
0

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

  • AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,840
  • Joined: 2009-September-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2011-December-06, 14:59

Nothing wrong that I can see - just unlucky. Maybe at IMPS, vul, North should try 3S.

ahydra
0

#13 User is offline   bigbenvic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: 2011-October-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2011-December-06, 19:20

I'd bid 3♠ after 2♣, if lefty overcalls and righty limit raises I want them to guess now, not here 2 rounds of bidding. I know I'm competing to 3♠ (I assume like others that partner has 5♠ for the bid) so I'm going there now.

South should pass and we miss a game.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users