BBO Discussion Forums: Matchpoint high level decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint high level decision

#1 User is offline   EricK 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,303
  • Joined: 2003-February-14
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-December-01, 11:47


What would you call here?
How would different vulnerabilities affect your decision?
If you pass and partner doubles do you leave it in?
Do you consider your answers to be clear-cut?
0

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-01, 13:35

No heart tricks and club support across make me bid 5C most of the time. If I pass it will be to pass pard's dbl.

Very close pass/5C, though.
0

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-01, 17:06

It would be good to know a little more about the range of 1N, especially in light of the second question, but even with only what is known:

At this vulnerability, I am passing 4♥. A double by partner would be very surprising. I would usually pass such a double, but that's because my partner will have an unusual holding for such a double....AKx or AQJ in trump or some such or QJ10 and a max. On auctions like this, our pass wasn't remotely penalty and only bad players double here just because they have 8-10 hcp.

At equal or favourable vulnerability, I would bid 5♣ over 4♥ directly.

They hold about half the deck. RHO has a source of tricks. We have, assuming partner isn't a pig, at least 9 and probably 10 clubs. Any heart card partner has, other than the Ace, is worthless even if we pass the hand out......declarer will always hook partner on this auction, and there will be adequate dummy entries.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-December-01, 20:06

They have 10/11 trumps and few clubs I think they will take the push often enough for 5♣ to be right, I will bid it regardless of vulnerability.
0

#5 User is offline   bigbenvic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: 2011-October-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2011-December-01, 21:22

How bad can the 1nt be? What would 2♣ show? Does he show a 4333 or 5332 hand with ♣ length?

I'm bidding 5♣, I am assuming that parter cannot have a 4 card suit other than clubs which means about 20 tricks available to both sides, if they are making 1 off is a good score, if they are 1 off then 5c makes.

I think at this vunerability 5♣ is clear, at Green V Red the temptation to pass and try for +200/+500 is greater and if partner is 8-10 then I will pass.

At equal vul I think I still bid 5♣
1

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-01, 23:53

View Postbigbenvic, on 2011-December-01, 21:22, said:

How bad can the 1nt be? What would 2♣ show? Does he show a 4333 or 5332 hand with ♣ length?

I'm bidding 5♣, I am assuming that parter cannot have a 4 card suit other than clubs which means about 20 tricks available to both sides, if they are making 1 off is a good score, if they are 1 off then 5c makes.

I think at this vunerability 5♣ is clear, at Green V Red the temptation to pass and try for +200/+500 is greater and if partner is 8-10 then I will pass.

At equal vul I think I still bid 5♣

The LOTT breaks down often on freaks. I surely wouldn't expect to beat this very often. And partner doesn't need 4 clubs...with 3=3=4=3 and 8-10 with stuff in the majors, he should bid 1N to define his vslues. KJx Kxx Qxxx xxx is 1N, not 1♦...that hand will not play well in 5♣ and S may have an easy double.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,971
  • Joined: 2009-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

Posted 2011-December-02, 13:31

Close call as Nuno said but I'd pass.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."





0

#8 User is offline   AlexJonson 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 496
  • Joined: 2010-November-03

Posted 2011-December-02, 15:00

5C. My hand looks less good for defence than for offence.
1

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-December-02, 19:26

5C with confidence against opp who rarely double. Bidding 5C against competant MP players make little sense.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#10 User is offline   Statto 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 636
  • Joined: 2011-December-01
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2011-December-03, 01:07

P is prob 3334 or thereabouts with scattered values. Can't see us getting close to making 5♣ so it looks a poor sac at this vul. At fav I'd bid 5♣; at equal it's more tricky tho prob pass - P is still there. I have some defence, and if P doubles I'd leave it in. I have some hope of defeating 4♥. Only some of this is clear-cut - pass right now is. LoTT is almost precisely 20, but this looks like a hand where it could fall over. You could bid 5♣ and hope opps bid 5♥ over it, but I'd give them more respect. -500 could be 0% compared to -450, and to some extent we are fixed already.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein
1

#11 User is offline   Statto 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 636
  • Joined: 2011-December-01
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2011-December-04, 00:09

Further thoughts:

Most of the non-♥ honors will be between P and LHO, giving P overcards, and thus some chance that 5♣ might actually make - e.g. give P as little as ♠KJx-♥xxx-♦Qxx-♣xxxx and 5♣ just needs a 2-1 break if everything else is onside as is likely (or bolster P's hand with ♣Q to counter a likely 3-0 break, or just throw in ♦K instead). It's probably well below 50% for that to be the case, whilst for the same reason (P's overcards) I think 4♥ will struggle, so I want to defend.

At different vulnerabilities 4♥ will be more sound. Game all may be different to love all. What was the actual hand?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein
1

#12 User is offline   EricK 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,303
  • Joined: 2003-February-14
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-December-05, 12:50

The actual hand is kind of irrelevant as partner did not have what anybody (myself included) would consider a 1NT response. For one thing he had ♥QJT9! North didn't really have a 4♥ bid either - 7 ♥ to the King a ♣ void and some scattered honours in the other suits. I chose to bid 5♣ which wasn't a success. Although I don't think 4♥ could have gone more than 1 down, so we were destined for a bad result anyway: 4♥*-1 would have allowed us to beat the pair who defended 4♥ undoubled; everyone else was making a contract our way (3♣ or some number of NT)
0

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-06, 06:26

QJT9? Oh well... Perhaps pard can take on poker or chess? lol
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users