BBO Discussion Forums: Tricky suit combination - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tricky suit combination Reverse problem

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-December-04, 07:51

Auction, starting on your right:

1H 1S 3H 4S
all pass

In one of the suits you have a combined holding of J2 opposite singleton 3.
Why does it matter which card you play from dummy (J2) on the first round of the suit?
0

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-December-04, 08:40

The usual reason for playing a high card in such a situation is to keep an opponent off the lead. Another reason could be to try to deceive them as to the real holding. What am I missing?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-December-04, 08:45

Congratulatory Jack.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-December-04, 09:30

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-December-04, 08:40, said:

The usual reason for playing a high card in such a situation is to keep an opponent off the lead. Another reason could be to try to deceive them as to the real holding. What am I missing?


You aren't necessarily missing anything. I thought the hand was sweet. What are all 4 hands?
0

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-December-04, 15:30

I played a board like this where my partner underlead AKJTxxx on lead vs a slam and they failed to play the Q from dummy, so my 9 held the trick and I gave partner at ruff at trick two.

Something like this would do:


The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users