Posted 2004-September-29, 10:55
I removed the names of the participants and a link to the hand, and the name of the director.
First, there is no adjustment necessary as 3NT is fine contract, and nothing illegal happened in a general sense.
Second, something slightly odd here has happened. West opened fourth in hand with 14 count and then leaped to three notrump (not even an invite to 3NT) opposite a passed hand. Perahps this is good judgment, partner has diamonds, I am going to get a major suit lead with the major suit cards well placed for me.
If West thougth this way, he was richly rewarded, he took a gamble and it won. But he was lucky to catch his partner with so much. Exchange club Ten for a small club, for examaple and this contract is in a world of hurt on a club lead.
I'm not even sure what ALERTS you expect to be given..maybe...
1C = 3+ clubs, we play 5 card majors
1D = I ahve some diamonds and enought to respond
3NT = balance hand or running clubs, enough for game oppoistie 1D response.
In other words, the bidding was normal except that WEST was a signficanlty light for his action. Perhaps you are suggesting that 3NT is an impossible bid, adn something funny was going on. This is one of three reasons I removed the names and the link. (it could also be considered a slam on the director for not ruling your way, so his name goes away... we can diccuss the merit of the situation without knowing any names).
IF thiis pair always bids like this and is always lucky, then you might have something (this "statement by me is the thrid reason, as I don't want to start a witch hunt by saying htis with their names exposed). But maybe EW are bad bidder and despite thsi lucky hand they came in dead last. Maybe they are novices, or maybe they are pro's and WEST was swinging for the fence needing a board or two in a short tourneyment. No way to know looking at one hand. And surely no way for the director to know.
So my ruling, the result stands, and I would have made a note to have a look at EW profile (expert? beginner?), and how they were doig in the tourney before this (average? behind? way ahead?). If htye beginners, I forget it. I Fhtey experts and they behind or average I would take note (problalbly tryig to catch up), if htey are experts and they are way ahead before this hand, I would be looking at a lot more of their hands. IF for nothing else to learn from the masters, or to see if they are being completely honest.
Ben
--Ben--