BBO Discussion Forums: Seattle BAM - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Seattle BAM board5

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,997
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-27, 20:47


“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,871
  • Joined: 2007-April-22
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA

Posted 2011-November-27, 20:54

I'd bid 5nt pick a slam and raise clubs or spades or nt to 7, if partner bids 6♦, I'd try 7♣ and let partner pass/correct. Sorry partner if your spade stopper was JTxx.

My partner gambled and opened the N hand 1♠ (I don't like it, but it worked), and E didn't act, so our auction was much, much easier.
0

#3 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-November-27, 21:21

How about 5♠?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-27, 22:21

View PostPhil, on 2011-November-27, 21:21, said:

How about 5♠?


I agree with 5♠ it must be forcing.

I will raise 6♣ or 6♠ to seven.

Not sure about NTs though. Will probably bid 7♣.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,997
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-28, 02:48



Here's the full hand.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

  • Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,505
  • Joined: 2008-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, ME

Posted 2011-November-28, 02:58

Jilly, you didn't finish the auction. Did you find the grand slam? Did you find 7NT? What happened at the other table?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"
0

#7 User is offline   wank 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,866
  • Joined: 2008-July-13

Posted 2011-November-28, 03:28

2nt is absurd
1

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-November-28, 03:41

View PostMbodell, on 2011-November-27, 20:54, said:

I'd bid 5nt pick a slam and raise clubs or spades or nt to 7, if partner bids 6♦, I'd try 7♣ and let partner pass/correct. Sorry partner if your spade stopper was JTxx.


I don't think partner has shown a spade stopper. What's he supposed to bid with xxx AQx KQxx xxx ?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-November-28, 04:56

Your partner had a normal neg x of 2H? That would have helped a lot here.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,997
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-28, 10:03

I played in 5♠ :( :ph34r: :(

At the other table the auction was
2♣:2♦
2♠:3♠
keycard somewhere - 7♠
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-28, 10:30

Kathryn

Your partner made two errors

The first was the under/misbid of 2N. Wrong on 2 counts: denies 4 spades and denies an opening hand. We sometimes have to choose between an underbid and an overbid, but we should never have to choose between a hand-hogging notrump and a proper negative double.....as South, we can always get back to notrump after doubling...we will rarely get back to spades after notrump.

The second error was passing 5♠...a truly awful decision.....wtf did he/she think you held for 5♠?????

S should bid 6♥ over 5♠....unexpectedly good spades.....and the heart A. N can now happily bid 7N (thinking it needs 3-2 spades or AJx in partner's hand).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,997
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-28, 10:41

If the auction had gone 1♣ (2♥) X (4♥), what is my bid now?
5♥?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#13 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2011-November-28, 10:43

Nobody has said whether 5S is forcing or not. If not I think it is a horrible bid, I certainly want to be in slam.

Can 5S be NF? If we assume that it shows 5-6 in the blacks (I think it does) then it doesn't make much sense for it to be NF. On a similar note, would 6S be forcing?

Playing with an inexperienced partner (which certainly seems to be the case, 2NT and pass!) I think there is something to be said for forgetting about playing in spades. It is unlikely that clubs will play worse than spades.

YOu could start with 5H. If partner bids 5S (which must be a cuebid, partner denied 4 spades) then you can bid 7C.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-28, 12:02

View PostCascade, on 2011-November-27, 22:21, said:

I agree with 5♠ it must be forcing.




View Posthan, on 2011-November-28, 10:43, said:

Nobody has said whether 5S is forcing or not. If not I think it is a horrible bid, I certainly want to be in slam.

Can 5S be NF? If we assume that it shows 5-6 in the blacks (I think it does) then it doesn't make much sense for it to be NF. On a similar note, would 6S be forcing?

Playing with an inexperienced partner (which certainly seems to be the case, 2NT and pass!) I think there is something to be said for forgetting about playing in spades. It is unlikely that clubs will play worse than spades.

YOu could start with 5H. If partner bids 5S (which must be a cuebid, partner denied 4 spades) then you can bid 7C.


1. I must be nobody ;)

2. This is board a match so 7♣ can easily be worse than 7♠.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-28, 12:06

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-28, 10:41, said:

If the auction had gone 1♣ (2♥) X (4♥), what is my bid now?
5♥?


7♠

unless you can made an exclusion bid - perhaps 6♥

or 5NT is Grand Slam force and your methods can identify one top honour.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-November-28, 13:20

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-28, 10:03, said:

I played in 5♠ :( :ph34r: :(

At the other table the auction was
2♣:2♦
2♠:3♠
keycard somewhere - 7♠


OMG your pard was brain dead this hand. 2NT seems to be an underbid with a double stop and a good 12 count. Of course a negX is normal for his hand, but if wanting to bid NT then he should just bid 3NT.

But MUCH MUCH worse is passing your 5♠ with 4 card support and more strength than promised by his 2NT bid. After your fine 5♠ bid, PD holds the World's Fair here.

.. neilkaz ..
0

#17 User is offline   bigbenvic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: 2011-October-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2011-November-28, 19:46

I'm bidding 5♠ 4 is passable 5 must be forcing to 6♣ if partner hates ♠ or 6♠ if not.

I'm opening 2♣ and depending on bidding would end up in 7s or 7NT. By opening it at the 1 level you are going to have a lot of trouble convincing partner of your hand strength. You could easily have same hand with a small ♦ and a less solid ♣ suit, say AKTxxx
1

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-28, 20:22

View Postbigbenvic, on 2011-November-28, 19:46, said:

I'm opening 2♣ and depending on bidding would end up in 7s or 7NT. By opening it at the 1 level you are going to have a lot of trouble convincing partner of your hand strength. You could easily have same hand with a small ♦ and a less solid ♣ suit, say AKTxxx


I don't think convincing partner of our hand strength is necessarily a problem. In many maybe most auctions we are going to make the final decision and we have a good idea of our hand strength. When we anticipate that we will make the final decision the aim of the auction should be to gather as much information as possible rather than necessarily telling partner all about our hand strength.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-29, 08:18

How about 4NT? If pard has 2 aces, bid 7NT. If not, just settle for 6C.
0

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,997
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-29, 09:39

Needless to say, we did not quailfy for the second day. We are now playing in the bottom KO bracket and have won enough gold for my partner to get her LM so there is much celebration here. But it feels like clubbing baby seals. :(

We were as expected, totaly chewed up and spat out in the BAM. But what an experience to play against the likes of Sabine Auken and Daniel von Armin. :) I'd like to enter again with a more practised partnership.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users