Seattle BAM board5
#1
Posted 2011-November-27, 20:47
Bridge should be fun!
#2
Posted 2011-November-27, 20:54
My partner gambled and opened the N hand 1♠ (I don't like it, but it worked), and E didn't act, so our auction was much, much easier.
#3
Posted 2011-November-27, 21:21
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#4
Posted 2011-November-27, 22:21
Phil, on 2011-November-27, 21:21, said:
I agree with 5♠ it must be forcing.
I will raise 6♣ or 6♠ to seven.
Not sure about NTs though. Will probably bid 7♣.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#5
Posted 2011-November-28, 02:48
Here's the full hand.
Bridge should be fun!
#6
Posted 2011-November-28, 02:58
Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"
#8
Posted 2011-November-28, 03:41
Mbodell, on 2011-November-27, 20:54, said:
I don't think partner has shown a spade stopper. What's he supposed to bid with xxx AQx KQxx xxx ?
#9
Posted 2011-November-28, 04:56
#10
Posted 2011-November-28, 10:03
At the other table the auction was
2♣:2♦
2♠:3♠
keycard somewhere - 7♠
Bridge should be fun!
#11
Posted 2011-November-28, 10:30
Your partner made two errors
The first was the under/misbid of 2N. Wrong on 2 counts: denies 4 spades and denies an opening hand. We sometimes have to choose between an underbid and an overbid, but we should never have to choose between a hand-hogging notrump and a proper negative double.....as South, we can always get back to notrump after doubling...we will rarely get back to spades after notrump.
The second error was passing 5♠...a truly awful decision.....wtf did he/she think you held for 5♠?????
S should bid 6♥ over 5♠....unexpectedly good spades.....and the heart A. N can now happily bid 7N (thinking it needs 3-2 spades or AJx in partner's hand).
#12
Posted 2011-November-28, 10:41
5♥?
Bridge should be fun!
#13
Posted 2011-November-28, 10:43
Can 5S be NF? If we assume that it shows 5-6 in the blacks (I think it does) then it doesn't make much sense for it to be NF. On a similar note, would 6S be forcing?
Playing with an inexperienced partner (which certainly seems to be the case, 2NT and pass!) I think there is something to be said for forgetting about playing in spades. It is unlikely that clubs will play worse than spades.
YOu could start with 5H. If partner bids 5S (which must be a cuebid, partner denied 4 spades) then you can bid 7C.
- hrothgar
#14
Posted 2011-November-28, 12:02
Cascade, on 2011-November-27, 22:21, said:
han, on 2011-November-28, 10:43, said:
Can 5S be NF? If we assume that it shows 5-6 in the blacks (I think it does) then it doesn't make much sense for it to be NF. On a similar note, would 6S be forcing?
Playing with an inexperienced partner (which certainly seems to be the case, 2NT and pass!) I think there is something to be said for forgetting about playing in spades. It is unlikely that clubs will play worse than spades.
YOu could start with 5H. If partner bids 5S (which must be a cuebid, partner denied 4 spades) then you can bid 7C.
1. I must be nobody
2. This is board a match so 7♣ can easily be worse than 7♠.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#15
Posted 2011-November-28, 12:06
jillybean, on 2011-November-28, 10:41, said:
5♥?
7♠
unless you can made an exclusion bid - perhaps 6♥
or 5NT is Grand Slam force and your methods can identify one top honour.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#16
Posted 2011-November-28, 13:20
jillybean, on 2011-November-28, 10:03, said:
At the other table the auction was
2♣:2♦
2♠:3♠
keycard somewhere - 7♠
OMG your pard was brain dead this hand. 2NT seems to be an underbid with a double stop and a good 12 count. Of course a negX is normal for his hand, but if wanting to bid NT then he should just bid 3NT.
But MUCH MUCH worse is passing your 5♠ with 4 card support and more strength than promised by his 2NT bid. After your fine 5♠ bid, PD holds the World's Fair here.
.. neilkaz ..
#17
Posted 2011-November-28, 19:46
I'm opening 2♣ and depending on bidding would end up in 7s or 7NT. By opening it at the 1 level you are going to have a lot of trouble convincing partner of your hand strength. You could easily have same hand with a small ♦ and a less solid ♣ suit, say AKTxxx
#18
Posted 2011-November-28, 20:22
bigbenvic, on 2011-November-28, 19:46, said:
I don't think convincing partner of our hand strength is necessarily a problem. In many maybe most auctions we are going to make the final decision and we have a good idea of our hand strength. When we anticipate that we will make the final decision the aim of the auction should be to gather as much information as possible rather than necessarily telling partner all about our hand strength.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#19
Posted 2011-November-29, 08:18
#20
Posted 2011-November-29, 09:39
We were as expected, totaly chewed up and spat out in the BAM. But what an experience to play against the likes of Sabine Auken and Daniel von Armin.
Bridge should be fun!

Help
