BBO Discussion Forums: inhelpful partner - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

inhelpful partner

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-22, 05:25

MPs, All vul

♠Q9x
♥Q7xx
♦xxx
♣108x


♠AKJxx
♥Ax
♦KQx
♣AKx


2♣-2♦
2♠-4♠

LHO leads ♥8


EDIT: Silly typo, might an admin change the topic title to unhelpful?
0

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-22, 05:38

I would not do anything fancy, I'd try the queen. If it went K I would win the ace, ace of spades spade to the queen, and see if the ten dropped (so I could try 2 diamond finesses). If it didn't but trumps were 3-2 I'd play a diamond to the king. I'd go from there.
0

#3 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,757
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-22, 07:50

I would bid 2NT over 2♦ and thus only need 9 tricks. And if I get 10 anyway, even better.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
1

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-22, 10:23

disregard. Bit my tongue a minute too late :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,342
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-November-22, 12:18

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-22, 07:50, said:

I would bid 2NT over 2♦ and thus only need 9 tricks. And if I get 10 anyway, even better.

+1, this is a balanced hand not a big hand with spades. (2♣-2♦-2♥(Kokish, we play 2N good 19-21 so 2♣-2♦-2N is 22-23)-2♠-2N-3♣-3♠-3N for us)
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-23, 02:16

thx Justin for trying the hand.

RHO had 4612. My partner played low heart*, got to dummy with ♠Q and tried a diamond to the king, when RHO failed to ruff ♦J return, cashing winners stripping RHO out of anything but hearts and ducking one would had brought 10 tricks, but he failed the easy part.

*: this might be some kind of club thing, lols never underlead kings to a suit contract, it is forbidden in their religion.
0

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-23, 03:09

Definitely possible that is the right line, I'd feel dumb if they had KJ98x of hearts or something though.
0

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-November-23, 03:20

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-23, 02:16, said:

RHO had 4612. My partner played low heart*, got to dummy with ♠Q and tried a diamond to the king, when RHO failed to ruff ♦J return, cashing winners stripping RHO out of anything but hearts and ducking one would had brought 10 tricks, but he failed the easy part.


He was 2=6=1=4? Why can't he pitch down to ♥K plus all four clubs?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-23, 06:43

no, he was 4612, ♠108xx ♥KJ109xx ♦x ♣Jx
0

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-November-23, 06:50

Sorry. When you said he didn't ruff the diamond I assumed you meant he couldn't. Also, it didn't seem very likely that LHO had passed over a 2♣ opening with x x AJ10xxx Q9xxx. But I should just have believed what you actually said.:)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#11 User is offline   quiddity 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,099
  • Joined: 2008-November-21

Posted 2011-November-23, 11:37

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-23, 02:16, said:

*: this might be some kind of club thing, lols never underlead kings to a suit contract, it is forbidden in their religion.


I usually wouldn't underlead a king into a 2♣ opener at matchpoints either.
0

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-23, 15:18

What if your hand was T KJ98x Axxx Q9x? or T KJ98x ATxxx Jx? I am all for I usually wouldn't do such and such, but really 8x seems like an unlikely lead, and stiff 8 seems unlikely with RHO passing over 2C p 2D with potentially KJT9xx, especially if they had more values like the DA. Sometimes people have a tough hand to lead from, we know we will see a tangible gain by playing the queen if LHO has led from the king, and it is unlikely we are going to gain by ducking even when RHO has the holding we are hoping for.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users