BBO Discussion Forums: That dreadful 8-5. - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

That dreadful 8-5.

#1 User is offline   elvinueza 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2011-February-01

Posted 2011-November-09, 01:13

So this hand came up in last night's duplicate.

♠AKJ109xxx
♥--
♦J109xx
♣--

Sweet. I'm north. East opens the bidding with 1♥. I bid 1♠(what would you have bid?). West bids 4♥ and my partner doubles. East passes and it's my turn to bid.

We're vulnerable and they're not.

What do i need for a slam? The right ♦high cards, and pretty much nothing else does the job. The right ♦high cards would make a grand too, of course.
If my partner doesn't have them, i'm going down. Definitely not much of a defensive hand, but i don't want to be the overambitious one.

So obviously i freak out, i bid 4♠, West doubles, I redouble (still unsure of my 4♠) and they all pass. Geez, that was easier than I thought.
I make +2 and feel bad about myself.
This is what my partner held:

♠xx
♥J109x
♦Ax
♣AKxxx

Ruff the heart lead, play the diamonds. Play trumps once (they're 2-1), ruff the third ♦ (they're 3-3) and i'm home. I'm not even sure if playing 6 it's the right thing to do (if diamonds are 4-2, i've got to rely on the short diamond hand to have shortness in ♠; ♠ 0-3 sets me).

Well guys. How would you have bid this monster?
0

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,871
  • Joined: 2007-April-22
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:04

I like 1♠ and 4♠. I don't like XX as you may be -1 and turn a good board into a bad one (if they have 4♥ and most of the field is sacrificing in 4♠X), or more likely if they believe you they may well run to 5♥ rather than let you play 4♠XX when it makes.
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:12

redouble is risky but it worked, note that partner doubled 4♥, if that's for penalty, chances of them running are petty low. Not an expert on this scores, did you beat slams doubled?

I don't see an alternative to 1♠ unless you play some conventional 4♥ bid, and if partner's double of 4♥ is take out I would bid more than 4♠.
0

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

  • Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,505
  • Joined: 2008-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, ME

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:24

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-09, 03:12, said:

did you beat slams doubled?


NV: 4S XX + 2 is 4*120 + 100 (insult) + 300 (game bonus) + 2*200 (per overtrick) = 1280,
6SX = is 2*(180) + 50 (insult) + 300 (game bonus) + 500 (slam bonus) = 1210

V: 4S XX + 2 = 1880 (only differences are 500 game bonus and 400 per overtrick)
6S X = = 1660 (only differences are 500 game bonus and 750 slam bonus)

However 6SXX will beat both of these.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"
0

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-09, 04:24

You bid perfectly and scored a bunch. Nothing more to say.
0

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2011-November-09, 10:08

View Postelvinueza, on 2011-November-09, 01:13, said:

Sweet. I'm north. East opens the bidding with 1♥. I bid 1♠(what would you have bid?). West bids 4♥ and my partner doubles. East passes and it's my turn to bid.


So the bidding has gone:-
E - S - W - N
1H - p - p - 1S
p - p - 4H - p
p - x - p - p
p - p - p - ?

Hmmmm, I think I am calling the TD as there appear to have been 5 passes in a row...
(-: Zel :-)
0

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,542
  • Joined: 2010-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 2011-November-09, 10:11

View Postelvinueza, on 2011-November-09, 01:13, said:

I'm north. East opens the bidding with 1♥. I bid 1♠(what would you have bid?). West bids 4♥ and my partner doubles. East passes and it's my turn to bid.

How many calls out of turn have there been?
0

#8 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-November-09, 14:08

I would never redouble with this hand red/white. It seems any slam with this 8-5 is a shot in the dark and your +1190 for two overs is a great score. As it was, slam was touch and go even with all of these primes across. Redoubling says, yeah please sac while I collect my 500 (maybe).

The colors to redouble is w/r when you have a little defense too. There is substantial upside when you make, and if they run, you get a nice number too.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#9 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2011-November-09, 15:07

you need to make life tough on the opps after they open 1♥ cause you can be sure they are going to make life hard for you ASAP at these colors. So an immediate 4♠ is your best shot to buy the contract while making it as difficult as possible for them to figure out if a sac makes sense.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users