BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#101 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:56

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-04, 10:07, said:

If this took place in Vancouver, it's no longer required to alert 3. But 3NT should be alerted as denying a 4-card major.

Maybe the reason they got rid of the 3 alert was precisely to avoid the above situation.

Aren't you required to alert 3?

#102 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:25

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-04, 10:07, said:

If this took place in Vancouver, it's no longer required to alert 3. But 3NT should be alerted as denying a 4-card major.

Maybe the reason they got rid of the 3 alert was precisely to avoid the above situation.

Yep

View PostGerardo, on 2012-April-05, 16:56, said:

Yes, but not the 3 puppet unless it is a jump 1N 3
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#103 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-05, 20:03

View Postflametree, on 2011-November-01, 01:06, said:

Playing at the club the other night, in a supposedly premier grade room, this auction came about, with me dealer :
2 - pass - 2 - 3
4 - pass - 4 - pass
4NT - pass - 5 - pass
Neither opponent bothered to ask a question about our bidding beyond the 2C opener (despite the fact that it was the weak hand who ended up as declarer).
Slam duly made, we had a couple of minutes to discuss the hand.
LHO : "I thought your partner told you he had no aces?"
Me : "Oh no. 4NT was key-card, and 5 showed 1 or 4 key card. Since I had the king of diamonds, I knew he had an ace."
LHO : "No. You bid 4C, and he replied 4D."
Me : "ummmmmmmm"
Anyone have any other gems to share?
IMO this kind of amusing incident is unlikely to occur in the UK, because the declaring side would offer to explain their conventional bids before the opening lead :)

#104 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 08:03

View PostGerardo, on 2012-April-05, 16:56, said:

Yes, but the player who was presumed to have forgotten was the one who bid 3, not the one who failed to alert it. So either opener forgot they were playing Puppet, or he remembered that he wasn't supposed to alert it.

Or maybe this took place before the alert change at the beginning of this year.

#105 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-07, 13:42

View Postnige1, on 2012-April-05, 20:03, said:

IMO this kind of amusing incident is unlikely to occur in the UK, because the declaring side would offer to explain their conventional bids before the opening lead :)

Even if they don't ask? I have not found this to be the case usually.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#106 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-05, 20:40

After an auction where we raise spades and they outbid us in clubs, partner leads a high diamond. In a five card ending, with me on play, LHO suddenly turns to me and asks me: "do you guys play in a league or anything?". I'm flattered, as I expect he's trying to say we're defending well or something. However, when we tell him no, he tells me "you really should avoid signalling to each other like this, it's not right, in a real game you'll be expelled". My reply is the expected "DIRECTOR", but after the hand and after LHO apologizes profusely for his allegation, I try and figure out what he was on about. It's true my partner twitches a lot, and I guess if you don't know him you might think there's some pattern to it or something. Instead, LHO explains "your side's suit is spades, yet somehow your partner doesn't lead them and hits YOUR best suit. If he had AQ of spades okay, I can see, but he had Qxx and he chooses a diamond?".
It's at that point I realize I've been too harsh - if he can't figure out he has two diamond losers no matter how he plays or what is led, or that he hadn't noticed that partner had a doubleton diamond to go with his Axx of trumps, then probably many things look like cheating to him.

#107 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-July-06, 06:55

For some reason the Swedish bridge site is not loading...but the bidding goes something like...

ME - PARD
1 - 2
2 - PASS

Dummy comes down...partner is sitting on 14 HCP after my opening with the Ax of . His 14 points nicely distributed among C/H/S and the 98 of . When I ask him, why he passed, his reply to me was that he did not like his diamonds...
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#108 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-06, 07:11

I could probably take up 5 pages on this post if I thought enough...another one...

I chose to open a 14 HCP 1NT, one that I had posted in another post before. Something like xx xxx KJx AKQJx. Opening this as 1NT is debatable, but I like the bid. My partner...jumps to 4NT for aces...yes he plays only blackwood. I reply, and partner goes on to 6NT. The dummy drops showing a 13 HCP 5341 count. I smile and say..."Thanks partner". We finish the hand playing 6NTx-2 for an obvious bottom. Playing 3NT+1 would have been a 90%+ board. This is when my partner gets defensive.

"Why would you open 1NT there?"
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#109 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-06, 09:44

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-July-06, 07:11, said:

I could probably take up 5 pages on this post if I thought enough...another one...

I chose to open a 14 HCP 1NT, one that I had posted in another post before. Something like xx xxx AJx AKQJx.

But probably not exactly like, since that's 15 HCP. :)

#110 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-06, 10:26

Yes lol...let me edit! ;) It was KJ

#111 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-06, 07:29

1D-p-1H-1S
2C-...

Opps end up playing 3 diamonds, and opener turns out to have 3-3-6-1. "2C is fourth suit forcing pard, how can you not know this? I am showing a spade stop and asking for a club stop". Of course declarer didn't "correct" the "misinformation" but we were laughing inside too hard to call the director.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#112 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-06, 08:04

We had a laugh last night on one of these too. Auction started (BBO) 1 - (1) - 2 - (3); P - 3 (alert). On asking what 3 was, the explanation michaels appeared. Strange I thought, then realisation dawned when I realised this player had alerted their 2 bid in the auction 1NT - 2; 2 as Stayman. They were alerting partner's 3 as Michaels! Eventually their partner played in 4X (down 2) and the whole table had a chuckle after they left. The best part was that this was an "Advanced" player with a convention line-up as long as anything you will see...and an IMP average of -2.25IMPs/bd against low level opps.

Then again, I have some gems of my own to share too. For example, the first time my partner and I played in the local club we had the auction begin 2(GF) - 2; 4, eventually reaching an untouchable 7 in a 4-3 fit. How? Well one of us thought 4 agreed diamonds and the other thought it was a self-splinter.
(-: Zel :-)

#113 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 08:10

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-01, 15:35, said:

I know...this sounds impossible but this is the same club at which I won 3 tricks by strength with 8642 in dummy opposite QJ5 in hand in a notrump contract, after they led the suit at trick one ...

These things can happen, can't they? A year or so ago I was allowed to make 2 tricks from Q 10 opposite xx and just last weekend 3 from K Q opposite 10 x x, in both cases at NT and when the suit was led at trick 1.

#114 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2012-November-06, 13:25

LHO opens 1 spade, RHO responds 4 hearts, and without thinking I ask,
"Is 4 hearts a game forcing bid?"
Become yourself.

#115 User is offline   ash1968 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-November-14, 14:30

A few years ago playing with my wife against another married couple we had an auction that went something like...

1C-(X)-1S-(2D after a hestitiation); 2S-(3D after a hestitation)-All Pass.

I lead the SA to which dummy tracks with JT9x and partner follows with the Q. After I give partner a ruff the dummy screams (and I mean screams) "Director!" The director wanders over and says "who called?" - the entire room starts to laugh.

Dummy says "I did" and starts to launch into his spiel. Of which the director informs him that dummy is unable to call the director during the play. After we complete our cross ruff and the contract goes several down dummy now calls the director (no less loudly). The director with a straight face repeated his question "who called?"

Dummy accused me of fielding the psyche so the director asked me if I knew partner had psyched. I said I did as there were three clues. (1) Partner following with the Q suggested a singleton. (2) RHO's hesitiation over 1S which showed spades (3) and LHO's hestitiation over 2S which also showed spades. Dummy called me a cheat but I was laughing so much that I failed to get offended.

Cheers, Stephen

#116 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-14, 16:21

It strikes me that more than one meaning of "dummy" applies to the dummy in your story, Stephen. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#117 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-November-15, 18:49

Ever have partner play A then K then x, asking you (Dummy) to ruff low, when playing some level of NT? :blink:
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#118 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 08:11

View PostSteveMoe, on 2012-November-15, 18:49, said:

Ever have partner play A then K then x, asking you (Dummy) to ruff low, when playing some level of NT? :blink:

Yes.

The following exchange followed:
"Ruff please"
- "With what?"
"SMALL!"
- "Which small one?"
"Stop messing! Play the 3!"

After the 3 had been played and the opponent won the trick, the opponent led a card back immediately.

Declarer: "That was mine."
Opponent: "My 9 tops your 6." ;)
Declarer: "But I ruffed in dummy."
Opponent: "I don't think so."
Declarer: "?!?. Oh Sh-t! Sorry, partner. ... errr... sorry opponents." (Yes, this was in the USA, and the quote is accurate.)

Laughter all around.

BTW, I don't think this situation really fits the bill of hopeless/clueless. It is more lack of concentration by declarer... and by me. Since this happened, I have never put a potential trump suit to my right as dummy in a NT contract.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#119 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-November-16, 08:21

interesting, maybe when declarer asks to ruff the legal card to play should be the lowest in the suit put to the right of dummy.

#120 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-16, 09:13

View PostFluffy, on 2012-November-16, 08:21, said:

interesting, maybe when declarer asks to ruff the legal card to play should be the lowest in the suit put to the right of dummy.

Maybe so, but it would require a change in the laws.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users