BBO Discussion Forums: Too much to pass, too little to bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too much to pass, too little to bid?

Poll: Too much to pass, too little to bid? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

  1. Pass (6 votes [18.75%])

    Percentage of vote: 18.75%

  2. Double (negative) (1 votes [3.12%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.12%

  3. 1NT (2 votes [6.25%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.25%

  4. 2C (21 votes [65.62%])

    Percentage of vote: 65.62%

  5. 2D (1 votes [3.12%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.12%

  6. 3C (1 votes [3.12%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.12%

  7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-October-22, 18:13



MPs. 1C could be as short as doubleton if precisely 4432 (5542 openings). Your call?
Wayne Somerville
1

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-October-22, 19:57

I think the 'right' call is 2♣. 1NT might steal it from them though, so I'm tempted into that.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#3 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,229
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-October-22, 20:06

2c no problem yet
0

#4 User is offline   jdeegan 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,427
  • Joined: 2005-August-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-October-23, 05:52

:P 2♣ OK you could be in a 4-2 fit. So what. The odds are against your trump suit being inadequate, and even if so, the auction is low and the opponents won't know what is happening either. 2♣ shows your values and your suit length. Don't play scared bridge just because your bidding system is a poor design for competing for part scores.
0

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,542
  • Joined: 2010-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 2011-October-23, 06:09

I miss the days of the Wild West, when a negative double simply meant "I am strong enough to bid, but I have nothing in particular to say." But if that's not the agreement, 2C.
0

#6 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-23, 11:25

2♣, I have support and the values for a simple raise...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2011-October-24, 06:27

When I was a junior I played 1C - (1S) - X as hearts and 1C - (1S) - 1NT as diamonds. I wonder if such a basic method might be worth re-examining for the increasingly popular short club systems around.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#8 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2011-October-24, 06:35

2♣ is what I have.
Rem: I still play Inv Min here:
- 2♠=Inv+ with ♣-support;
- 3♣=6-9 with ♣-support
- 2NT=0-5 with ♣-support
- 2♣=Xfer ♦
I would still bid 3♣ in my system. It is not likely that partner only has 2c♣
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-October-25, 08:43

I like 2♣ as well. Still gives me the chance to follow up with some silly muddy bid like 2NT over LHO's likely 2S :)
0

#10 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-October-26, 18:57

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-October-25, 08:43, said:

I like 2♣ as well. Still gives me the chance to follow up with some silly muddy bid like 2NT over LHO's likely 2S :)


I actually did think about that, we do have an agreement about 2NT in a similar-ish auction. Anyway, I tried 3C hoping to push them into 3S, it didn't work lol.


Wayne Somerville
0

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 649
  • Joined: 2010-October-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Bernardino, CA USA

Posted 2011-October-26, 20:11

2♣ for me (assuming it's weak). There just isn't enough playing strength for 3♣, so if 2♣ systemically indicates a strong raise, I will pass. 2♣ won't push them to the 3 level but may allow partner to do so if he has real clubs.
0

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-October-27, 03:07

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-October-26, 18:57, said:

I actually did think about that, we do have an agreement about 2NT in a similar-ish auction. Anyway, I tried 3C hoping to push them into 3S, it didn't work lol.


Nope, they sure didn't buy your bluff. But why would you want to push them to 3S? For all you know, it rates to be an ok contract for their side ;)
0

#13 User is offline   wank 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,866
  • Joined: 2008-July-13

Posted 2011-October-27, 10:31

look on the bright side, east assuredly wouldn't have forgot to double 2♣
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users