• You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer defense over 1N

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-October-18, 11:24

If by equivalent you mean 16+, then it's good. Don't double a 10-12 NT with an 11 count, that is pure suicide.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2011-October-18, 16:36

Only use similar system against 10-12, 11-13 or similar ranges but would work against 11-14 or 12-14.
So the transfer methods allow showing a strong hand by taking a second bid. Can play it canape style so that your second suit is longer or equal to first.

Double: Penalty oriented, either 15-18 hcp or a good 1 suiter that is a source of tricks. Certainly, if you ere using this against strong NT a Minor-Major 2 suiter is quite sensible.
2: 5-4 Majors
2: Hearts
2: Spades
2: Clubs
2NT: both Minors
3: Diamonds
3: Strong hand with 5-5 in Majors
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-18, 18:55

View Postjillybean, on 2011-October-17, 23:45, said:

Here's our latest thought, finally we have included 2 for the majors.

X by the overcaller is either diamonds or a major and a minor. Partner bids a forced 2C, and with diamonds, the overcaller bids 2D. With a major/minor hand (should be 5-5, but can be 5 and a good 4 card suit), overcaller bids her major and partner then either passes or raises, or bids the other major to play, or bids 2N asking for the overcaller's minor.

If you go complex don't stop there.

After double: 2 pass or correct to 2, I wanna play in clubs in you have major and clubs, maybe in 2 if you have major and diamonds also.
2 = pass or correct as well.
2 = pass or correct again.

#24 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-October-18, 20:48

How about 3/3 as a preemptive transfer to 3M?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-19, 01:13

View Postjillybean, on 2011-October-18, 20:48, said:

How about 3/3 as a preemptive transfer to 3M?

Poor idea imo, you give takeout Dbl and penalty Dbl to opps. Just bid 3M natural, then responder only has 1 time to Dbl (for takeout) and use 3 as something else. Imo the biggest advantage of transfer overcalls is that you can also use them constructively because you have a second call, but you don't need that for a preempt. So put up the pressure and bid 3M natural.

Transfer preempts as openings are already a poor idea, but may be worth it (it's not proven though) if you add some strong hands in there as well (like MisIry does). Here however you only have the weak version, so you don't get any compensation for the transfer.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-October-19, 06:23

what Free said, don't lose the preemptive effect of 3M for a lead purpose, the preemptive effect is more important, and also havign 3 avaible as preemptive is good.

#27 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-19, 08:37

Thanks guys.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#28 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-October-19, 09:07

I don't know if anyone made a comment on it, but if 2 shows majors, a response of 2 should not be "bid your best major." It should be "I heard you bid 2 for the majors and I want to play 2." I think that makes a lot more sense than passing the buck. The number of hands where it is right to have the 2 bidder choose which major he prefers has to be smaller than the number of hands where responder has long diamonds. Furthermore, on many hands where responder would like to offer a choice of majors back to the 2 bidder, it is likely to make little difference which major is chosen.

Clearly, if responder wanted to play 2, he could pass. He should be given a similar opportunity to play in 2.

#29 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-October-19, 09:11

View PostArtK78, on 2011-October-19, 09:07, said:

I don't know if anyone made a comment on it, but if 2 shows majors, a response of 2 should not be "bid your best major." It should be "I heard you bid 2 for the majors and I want to play 2." I think that makes a lot more sense than passing the buck. The number of hands where it is right to have the 2 bidder choose which major he prefers has to be smaller than the number of hands where responder has long diamonds. Furthermore, on many hands where responder would like to offer a choice of majors back to the 2 bidder, it is likely to make little difference which major is chosen.

Clearly, if responder wanted to play 2, he could pass. He should be given a similar opportunity to play in 2.

Disagree strongly with this. 2 helps you a lot when you have 1-2 or 2-1 or 2-2 or 3-2 or 2-3 or 3-3. Long diamonds don't come up nearly as often, but yea I can't prove this logically. It is simply my experience. I will note in passing, though, that I've never seen any strong players on vugraph to play this 2 as natural. Of course that is not a logical proof either.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-October-19, 09:27

This looks an awful lot like Hello:

X - penalty
2 - diamonds or Mm
2 - hearts
2 - both M
2 - spades(!)
2NT - clubs
3 - both m
3 - both M, forcing.

Here, you get to keep the penalty double (not so important over a strong NT, perhaps) but lose the ability to suggest clubs at the two level (which is probably also not so important - are they likely to let you play in 2?)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-19, 09:50

View PostArtK78, on 2011-October-19, 09:07, said:

I also disagree strongly. Not only does overcaller have a 5-4 quite often, advancer can have an invitational hand. In that case it's possible to invite at 2/3-level in or at 3-level with , plus you get more info before actually inviting.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#32 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-19, 10:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-October-19, 09:27, said:

This looks an awful lot like Hello:

X - penalty
2 - diamonds or Mm
2 - hearts
2 - both M
2 - spades(!)
2NT - clubs
3 - both m
3 - both M, forcing.

Here, you get to keep the penalty double (not so important over a strong NT, perhaps) but lose the ability to suggest clubs at the two level (which is probably also not so important - are they likely to let you play in 2?)

My partner plays HELLO with other partners so I'm not surprised by the likeness. It does lack 2 showing both majors which seems to be important, atleast as far as forums contributors are concerned and I'd like to give it a try.
(still learning)

#33 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-October-19, 11:16

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-October-19, 09:27, said:

are they likely to let you play in 2?

No but if we have a misfit we will rather let them compete over 2 than let them double 3.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#34 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-October-19, 11:47

Also disagree strongly with you Art, can't remember ever disagreeing so strongly of one of your thoughts.

#35 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-October-19, 12:28

View Postjillybean, on 2011-October-19, 10:35, said:

My partner plays HELLO with other partners so I'm not surprised by the likeness. It does lack 2 showing both majors which seems to be important, atleast as far as forums contributors are concerned and I'd like to give it a try.

It is important to have bid(s) to show both majors which differentiate between relative lengths in the suits if at all possible. This does not have to be 2C but that is the simplest.
(-: Zel :-)

#36 User is offline   Venom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Teaching Bridge, Golf, Family, Snakes

Posted 2011-October-19, 16:46

KJ:

I've played various conventions over opp's 1NT including many years of transfer over-calls. The two constants that I have found to be very important is to have bids to identify your major immediately with a 1-suited hand, and to have a bid to show a major 2-suiter asap (the latter not being quite as important as the first). The reason for the first is that you can get out-competed and not have sufficient time to show your major if you use a bid like Capp 2C or DONT X to show unspecified 1-suited hand.

The idea of using transfers to put the 1NT opener on lead is not something to be minimized. It is likely worth a trick. So don't feel that you have to give them up. However, as with any convention, you give up something to get something. So pick something you like and work on it. In particular, work on advancer's responses, over-caller's rebids, and what you are going to play in balancing seat (often over-looked). Whatever you select, play it well. Sometimes it's what agreements you have and what you do next that is equally as important as what convention you choose to use.

DHL: aka Double !
Conventional Wisdom is an Oxymoron.
If yer gonna play the game ya gotta learn to play it right.

#37 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2011-November-06, 11:08

All this tempest in a teapot about defense to 1NT! As a confirmed wide range weak (10-14) 1NTer, I can only say that I am very pleased when my opponents use ANY method other than DONT—especially, if I'm playing with a partner who has dragged me into a strong notrump agreement.

Right siding contracts (or "wrong siding" the lead) is a good thing, but so is the ability to stop at the 2-level in any fit you might have. Just because the 1NT opener probably has a powder puff does not mean that responder cannot make a penalty double at the 3-level. It is easy to go -200, -300, or -500 at the 3-level even when the NT opening side has no game. Partner and I have collected telephone numbers defending 3-suit doubled after one of us opened 1NT (10-14). That is generous compensation for our missed game.

So, please, keep using defenses to 1NT that might land you at the 3-level in a seven card fit when Partner and I have a balanced 19-23 (and no game) in our combined hands. We know where the red cards are.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

#38 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-November-07, 01:40

deleted
Bob Herreman

#39 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-07, 12:11

Wow. As a confirmed weak NTer (12-14, 11-14, 10-12), I *love it* when they play DONT against us. They can't show strength (yeah, the double never nets the 1100 that people think happen, but it sets the standard for the partscore fight that's about to happen), and they're always playing their minor fit instead of their major fit. Plus, and this is the key one - they either give up on game, or they don't know how to find it when they overcall. 1NT is a great preempt; it's even better if the opponents aren't trying.

So, please keep using systems that allow us to defend 2 when the field is in 3NT or 4 (or even 2!), and allow us to escape to our fit before they know what suit to compete in (after the double).

After a weak NT, there will always be hands where the opponents are in no-win situations - if they bid, they're going for -500 when pard has the rest; if they pass, they're getting 50-a-trick into game. If you don't look for game with those hands, you don't go for 500+; but you're giving at least as much up in +100 vs +140, or +170 instead of +620.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#40 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-07, 12:51

I agree that DONT is poor, especially against a weak notrump. You really need a penalty double otherwise you're stuck with a strong balanced hand and when you can double and partner has values as well, they usually have enough shape to wriggle out somewhere.

If you are determined to give up on penalty doubles (which I would only do against a strong notrump, or as a passed hand obviously) I suggest something like Lionel, i.e.

Dbl Spades and another
2C/D Bid minor plus hearts
2H/S Natural

You are giving up one and two suited hands with minors where you probably would be outbid anyway, and getting your major suits into the game right away and can still play your best fit at the two level.

IMO transfers are also overrated. Sometimes they gain you a trick, but they also give responder's partner an extra turn which is quite valuable to them as well as consuming space that could be used to show more hand types.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users