nigel_k, on 2011-October-07, 14:35, said:
I don't like South's double, but maybe North should pull regardless. If South had just passed it is much easier though.
This is probably system more than judgment, but I think South has to do something other than 2♥ at his first turn. I would use both 2♠ and 2NT to show a heart raise, e.g.
2♠ More defensive usually with three trumps and high card values
2NT More offensive with four trumps and possibly fewer high card values
3♥ Preemptive raise
Most hands with four trumps and too good for 3♥ would bid 2NT and needn't have full limit raise values. There is still space for opener to make a game try and it is more important at responder's first turn to express their preference for offence over defence.
Our system without intervention was limit raise to 3 and Jacoby 2NT game force and jump fits. We had not discussed fully how this changes when there is an overcall except that lowest cue = 3 card support and 2NT = 4 card support. I assume from this that a raise to 2M would likely be a 3 card suit and a raise to 3 would be a mixed raise. If so the south hand qualifies for a raise to 3
♥.
Does this strengthen the case for pulling the double? Yes I think so, but I could still construct hands where neither 4
♠ or 5
♥can make. Had the opps route to 4
♠ been bid and support, then the it would have been much clearer, but when 1 opp does it in 2 bites with the other saying nothing, it is not so clear to me.