Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hands from last night 1

#1 User is offline   Toradin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-12, 20:05

Hey all, I'd like some opinions on some of the hands from last night. We were playing matchpoints, 2/1:

Do you agree with 1, or would you have bid something else? What would you bid now?

What would you bid here? Also, what would you bid with the following South hand if partner passes? What about if he doubles?
Spoiler

Is partner's pass forcing? What action would be best here?

Thanks for your input!

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-12, 20:42

1- I normally bid 2 with this but i will pass 2 before we get doubled, and if they DBL 2 that allows me to run to 2. Yes i would bid 1 with this.

2- DBL or pass, i am not sure. Whats the scoring ?

3- No pd's pass is not forcing. I would have bid 6 at the first place over 4 and try to encourage them to save. Or scientifically bid 4. Now that i bid 5 which is very reasonable, i will stick with it and DBL or pass. I would DBL though.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Toradin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-12, 20:45

Scoring is matchpoints for all three boards.

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 22:16

1. 1NT would have worked better on the first round but 1 is pretty normal. I would now bid 2 probably.

2. I would probably have passed it in if I held both hands. Fortunately I will avoid a bottom as there are two queens of clubs so a misdeal.

3. I would double. We're definitely not in a force. I would have preferred to create a force last round by bidding 4NT instead of 5 as long as this is understood as strong with slam interest, not Blackwood.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-13, 01:09

1. Althou 1NT on previous round was an option, 1 is normal and now I bid 2

2. I would bid 3NT, if I passed I would pass with partner's hand, if I doubled I would bid 4NT with partner's hand

3. Its a close decision, we are both likelly 1 down in 5 and 6, at IMPs its a clear push to 6, at MPs you have to guess but perhaps you are already toasted. I'd bid 6 still

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-September-13, 01:17

Hand 1
Agree with 1S. Bid 2H now.

Hand 2
Pass. No close.
Pass also with the Sth hand.

Hand 3
Pd's pass is not forcing. I double now.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-13, 11:01

1. You have a fantastic hand. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fit your partner's hand at all. I'll bid 2.
2. I'll pass in direct seat. In the balancing seat I would probably take some action. I don't relish 3NT as it might go horribly wrong. I'd probably bid it anyway. The shape is wrong for a double, though that might work out.
3. Partner's pass isn't forcing. I can't stand it. I'll double.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-September-13, 11:31

1. 1 was normal. You hope for 1N over which you could (if you play the gadget) bid 2 to force 2 and pass.....or (if you don't) pass anyway and hope partner can use the diamonds or guess to bid 2 to play the assumed 5-2 or 5-3. As it is, things have not gone well, so you bid 2.

2. I would pass the N hand, tho I wouldn't criticize a double. It is close. If N passed, S has an easy pass. Indeed, I think taking any other call as S is insane.

If N doubled, S has a huge problem. I think the hand just doesn't warrant a gf....not to mention that I don't know what suit to gf in. 4N would NOT be a choice of minors for me (tho maybe it should be)....it would be natural and forward-going (but not forcing). I can see the logic behind arguing that that hand should pass at this vulnerability but I don't like the idea of using 4N for different purposes, in the same auction, depending on vulnerability....it doesn't come up often enough for me to hope that both I and partner will remember, so I'd bid 4

3. N's pass is not forcing. It is my view that playing it as forcing makes zero sense....S has to be allowed to push them to the 5-level without thereafter being compelled to double or bid. As for what I'd do now....no way am I doubling! Just where am I expecting to get my tricks? Would we be surprised if LHO held the spade K and one of them were void in clubs? No, I am bidding 6. I am going to place partner with working cards in the pointed suits....if I am right, we may make....if I am wrong, they probably make 5. I wouldn't have bid 4 since I would have been fearing this auction and I sure don't want them leading diamonds, which 4 then 6 strongly suggests....imagine J10x Jxx Ax Jxxxx in dummy
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-13, 12:07

View Postmikeh, on 2011-September-13, 11:31, said:

2. I would pass the N hand, tho I wouldn't criticize a double. It is close. If N passed, S has an easy pass. Indeed, I think taking any other call as S is insane.

If N doubled, S has a huge problem. I think the hand just doesn't warrant a gf....not to mention that I don't know what suit to gf in. 4N would NOT be a choice of minors for me (tho maybe it should be)....it would be natural and forward-going (but not forcing). I can see the logic behind arguing that that hand should pass at this vulnerability but I don't like the idea of using 4N for different purposes, in the same auction, depending on vulnerability....it doesn't come up often enough for me to hope that both I and partner will remember, so I'd bid 4

I think that one of dbl-4;4-4NT and dbl-4;4-5 should offer a choice of minors, but I'm not sure which one.

Edit I think double on that North hand is horrible, by the way.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-13, 13:31

1) 2H seems pretty obvious.

2) I think its right to pass with both, but if north doubled, which is not absurd, I think south should either pass or bid 3N. JTx is actually a pretty good holding at MP. It is often tough for lho to lead his suit, or partner could have an honour. Even if lho has AKxxxxx it can be tough for him to underlead it. or RHO can hvae a stiff honour so that the suits are irrecoverably blocked. Pass is also a good shout at MP as often you will defeat 3N by one on general strength.

3) It seems like it was definitely right to bid 4S earlier in this auction. That would help partner a lot when I double 5H. I would always double here at MP. If 5Hx is making I expect good field protection, and I am not prepared to take the chance that my opponents are coked up. That has happened to me too often. If opps were known to be good players, I might feel differently.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-16, 04:10

1. There's very good a case for hiding spades and bid 1NT, intending to follow-up with a diamond bid. Anyway, 1S certainly is liveable, but now you're a bit stuck between the revolting bids of 2H and 2S. I'd just toss a coin lol.

2. Easy pass. You have 3 hearts, which makes it pard likely to balance if he has some cards.

3. I don't think pass is forcing. If pard had a heart trick, he probably would have dbled himself, so I trust opps have all the hcp in hearts and bid 6C now.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users