Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plan the play 4H

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-08, 15:45

In the spirit of Inquiry's defense series, here's an actual hand from last night on which I took an inferior line of play (regardless of whether it worked). Please A/E give it a day or so [or spoil if you are so inclined] for the B/I crowd to think about this one and shame me with their declaring prowess:

Opps carding is UDCA. Plan the play.

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:23

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-08, 15:45, said:

In the spirit of Inquiry's defense series, here's an actual hand from last night on which I took an inferior line of play (regardless of whether it worked). Please A/E give it a day or so [or spoil if you are so inclined] for the B/I crowd to think about this one and shame me with their declaring prowess:

Opps carding is UDCA. Plan the play.

Tough problem, well for this B/I anyway. Here's my thoughts....

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-09, 16:18

View PostSimonFa, on 2011-September-09, 15:23, said:

Tough problem, well for this B/I anyway. Here's my thoughts....

Spoiler

Spoiler

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-September-10, 01:41

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-09, 16:18, said:

Spoiler

Thanks for the feedback. Of course there was a more fundamental flaw in my thinking - I couldn't add up to 13 in Spades :(

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-11, 14:01

At the table, I made an error and placed 4 spades with LHO. Since she didn't lead an honor, I supposed the honors were split and played the J of spades from hand (won by the ace on my left) and then ducked a spade, hoping RHO would have to win the king.

This line is far, far inferior to that which MrAce suggested. Pitch a spade on the diamond king and continue as before: jack of spades and either a spade to the Q (playing lefty for both honors) or duck a spade (playing righty for Hx). I actually don't know whether it's better to play LHO for AKxx or for split honors (I suspect split honors). But pitching the spade gives you the added chance of 3-3 spades. You can ruff the 3rd spade in hand and finally score the SQ.

On this deal, the spades were 3-3 with honors split. As pointed out in the thread, this is very likely; otherwise, RHO has 10 cards in the minors, and it's likely he'd do something over 4H.

We scored -100 for half the matchpoints (the rest of the NS pairs were either -120 or +100, so I assume we took the first 5 hearts in 2 or 3NT and that was the end of that), but this should have been a top had I thought harder about the hand.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users