• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silence ! The master at work

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-11, 15:12

There is a player in Poland, quite successful one who is known for his unethical play. He literally does everything to win. Starting from always suggesting that he took more tricks that he in fact did counting on mistake by opponents ending at some hardcore cheating.
I don't want to start discussion about what to do with people like that but I would like to present two amusing masterpieces of his:

1)
Our hero plays 3NT, and has something like:
xxx Kx AJx QJx in dummy to:
xx Axx KQxx KTxxx in hand.

The lead is small heart and it's immediately clear that the contract will need some serious help from opponents.
Our hero asks for K of from dummy and when opponent follow low he also follows and... waits...
After about 1 minute of this impatient opponent asks "it's your turn, you know ?", "Oh, sorry, I took the trick ?". THen he plays clubs and opponents, once in with A tried to cash hearts - fully deserved overtrick :-)

2)
Our hero play in 6, hands are something like:

x AKx 9xxx KQJxx in dummy to:
xxx Qx AQTxx Axx in hand

Opponents lead A of and much to his dismay our hero - having excellent eyesight - saw KJ second in his LHO hand. It seems that there is no hope but not for truly imaginative player.
He ruffs the 2nd spade plays low diamond from dummy and seeing low from RHO exclaimed : "All hope in a finesse!" and banged down the A (!!) of diamonds. Naturally opponent tried to take the trick with K[diaomonds]. Now it was enough to find an explanation for playing diamonds from top again ;) This effort was worth another top of course.

There was a lot of discussion about those displays in polish community but the fact is this player continues to play ;) Beware !

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-June-11, 15:59

A real master...

What about the Directors? Why don't they do something?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-11, 18:40

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-June-11, 15:12, said:

1)
Our anti-hero plays 3NT, and has something like:
xxx Kx AJx QJx in dummy to:
xx Axx KQxx KTxxx in hand.

fyp
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-11, 19:05

I heard about one where a person was in slam. He had a KJ guess basically to make. But he sought to increase his chances. He also had KQJTxx in hand opp A9xxxx in dummy of trumps. So he led the queen, it went low, he thought for 5-7 seconds and played the A, and RHO showed out. Now he muttered to himself in his native language, shook his head, and led from dummies Jx.

RHO, taken in, popped ace.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-June-11, 22:20

Wow :huh:
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-14, 08:26

Bluecalm made me laugh. :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-June-14, 10:50

View PostFree, on 2011-June-14, 08:26, said:

Bluecalm made me laugh. :)

Well, he said the examples were amusing, so I don't think they really happened, as a) they would not be a laughing matter and b) the person would have been ruled against both times and banned after a few more incidents!

Was your guy ruled against, Justin?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-June-14, 11:19

When I was a student, there was a guy like Bluecalm's anti-hero at the local club game. The LOLs all disliked him and playing against him, but the students looked forward to getting to his table because we knew to be on our toes and it frequently produced good stories for the bar afterwards.

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-14, 11:32

Two good friends of mine defended this board at a world team championship tournament.

Their opponents quickly bashed 6 on these holdings:

Dummy:
Kxx, x, QJTxxx, AQx

Declarer:
AQJTxxx, Ax, 9xx, x

After K to the ace, declarer played A and J to the K. He then continued with x to A, x and K...

The board made the bulletin and declarer was praised for his inventive play - trying to create an illusion to east of the defense having a spade trick. But in reality declarer's Hollywood acting at the table when the K "failed" to drop the queen had been absolutely absurd.
Michael Askgaard

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-June-14, 11:56

I cannot recall the hand, but this was my favorite ruse, and the hands looked like this. I did not do any commentary, but it was still fabulous.

After a heart lead, won in hand, I had 8 tricks with only diamonds as a potential trick source. Hoping for the 25% play to work, I tried a club to Dummy and a small diamond toward the Queen in hand, RHO contributing the Jack or 10, covered, won by the King or Ace from LHO.

A heart came back, won in hand as RHO showed out.

Now, I crossed back to Dummy's heart Queen (establishing LHO's hearts for him) and took the spade finesse -- small Queen small. Having opened 2 and rebid 2NT, LHO was convinced that I had started with something like AQxx AKx AQxx Ax for my line.

This is what I hoped for as I played a small "Grue Coup" toward the diamond 9 in Dummy. Sure enough, LHO hopped with his remaining Jack or 10 in diamonds, small from Dummy, smothering remaining Ace or King from RHO.

Unfortunately, RHO, CHO, and LHO at the time were too dense to appreciate this play, and there were certainly no kibs at the table.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-June-14, 12:57

Your play is very nice, kenrexford, but the other hands in this thread really depress me.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-June-14, 15:17

View Postmfa1010, on 2011-June-14, 11:32, said:

Two good friends of mine defended this board at a world team championship tournament.

Their opponents quickly bashed 6 on these holdings:

Dummy:
Kxx, x, QJTxxx, AQx

Declarer:
AQJTxxx, Ax, 9xx, x

After K to the ace, declarer played A and J to the K. He then continued with x to A, x and K...

The board made the bulletin and declarer was praised for his inventive play - trying to create an illusion to east of the defense having a spade trick. But in reality declarer's Hollywood acting at the table when the K "failed" to drop the queen had been absolutely absurd.

LOL made the bulletin. I cannot imagine how pissed I would be.

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-15, 02:30

View Postmfa1010, on 2011-June-14, 11:32, said:

declarer's Hollywood acting at the table when the K "failed" to drop the queen had been absolutely absurd.

I hope the TD imposed a fine. OK, the oppo weren't taken in, but this is still cheating, isn't it?

#14 User is offline   jIall 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-15, 07:13

Obv it's cheating...I think you read the story wrong though, the opps crashed the diamond honors.

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-June-15, 07:26

I'm reluctant to call the director so I can't criticise others who fail to draw attention to possible infractions, when they occur. If we haven't called the director at the time, however, should we publicise the incident later? No director had a chance to establish all the facts and our version of events may be one-sided.

Perhaps, the lesson is to call the director when we encounter what we suspect may be an irregularity.

Still these anecdotes are funny :) :) :)

#16 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-15, 07:33

View PostjIall, on 2011-June-15, 07:13, said:

I think you read the story wrong though, the opps crashed the diamond honors.

Oops, so I did - thanks. Somehow I thought x to A and x to K were two different tricks.

Obv it's cheating...

OK, good. Like Vampyr, I would feel a bit more comfortable if there was any evidence that the miscreants were punished. Of course, declarer's line is indeed quite a good one provided it is followed without any histrionics.

#17 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-15, 09:08

In the wild old 70's when I started to play I was told by a guy that played in a sectional pairs in NYC as an out of towner that North ripped up the signed score when he left the table and wrote out a new one.

After the game he told the Director "Hey that's not our score it should be +200".

The Director found the slip, looked over to see who the other pair was and corrected it without consulting them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-June-15, 09:30

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-June-15, 09:08, said:

In the wild old 70's when I started to play I was told by a guy that played in a sectional pairs in NYC as an out of towner that North ripped up the signed score when he left the table and wrote out a new one.

After the game he told the Director "Hey that's not our score it should be +200".

The Director found the slip, looked over to see who the other pair was and corrected it without consulting them.

Similar story:

First game in a new club having moved into the area, by a bizarre fluke on one hand bid and made 3NT sitting E/W after a truly attrocious defence, when every other table bid and made 3NT by N/S.
When the director scored it up, he just assumed that the E/W making score was mis-scored and simply adjusted it to 3N making by N/S without referring to any of the parties at the table.
This was duly noticed by the E/W pair when the travellers etc were posted on the club noticeboard. E/W complained, and the scorer said, OK, just get N/S to agree the correct score and the results will be changed.
Only, N/S then denied the facts!
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-June-15, 09:47

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-June-15, 09:30, said:

E/W complained, and the scorer said, OK, just get N/S to agree the correct score and the results will be changed.
Only, N/S then denied the facts!

This should not matter. The director had no right to change the score in the first place, so he is required to change it back no matter what N/S say.

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-June-15, 10:58

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-15, 09:47, said:

This should not matter. The director had no right to change the score in the first place, so he is required to change it back no matter what N/S say.

Yes I know. Just reporting what happened. Not excusing it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users