#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-June-10, 10:25

What are attitude leads, against NT?

tyia!
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 11:46

People who have 4th best leads, or fifth, or whatever might deviate and lead a second (or third) best from length to deny an honor holding in the suit led.

We do "pure" attitude leads v.s. NT. Lowest guarantees honor(s) in the suit led. Something higher denies. No-count leads, stictly attitude in hopes that the length will become apparent or won't matter.

Just explaining what we mean by attitude leads, not recommending one way or another.

Also, if leading pard's suit and having not supported it we don't lead attitude, but rather count. If we have supported it and they are still in notrump, we lead attitude.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 11:49

View Postjillybean, on 2011-June-10, 10:25, said:

What are attitude leads, against NT?

tyia!

Basically you lead low to show you like the suit you are leading, higher when you dont.

Typically you lead lowest card from Qxxx or better.

With a worse holding you lead a higher card. With Txxx I would lead second highest but from Txxxx I will lead third or fourth highest if partner does not know I have length.

You are getting away from 4th highest leads. The tremendous advantage is that they dont help declarer.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 12:11

I had a brief experience with attitude leads vs. NT when I was playing with a local expert a few years ago. I'd always played fourth highest, so in spite of the fact I'd agreed to try attitude, I kept forgetting and leading fourth best. After the third time, my partner gave up. I have no idea how many times he made an attitude lead against NT and I missed it. B-)

All that said, it seems to me that if you can remember what you're doing, they're a good method. Better than, as Mike said, helping declarer with a fourth highest lead.

Attitude leads were recommended by "the Journalist" as well.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-June-10, 18:48

I learned them from the Journalist book and loved them. Only ever had one regular partner willing to play them.

As mentioned, low if you want your opening-lead suit returned and high if you don't. A big advantage if you have say AQxx J732 xx xxx against 3NT - you lead a heart, but H7 in hopes of inspiring partner to realize what's going on in spades, while from Txxx J732 Jx Axx you'd lead H2.
As mentioned, it avoids telling declarer if your suit is going to break for him or not (there are a lot of hands where you take a different line if you 'know' the defense's suit is 4-3 rather than 5-2, or 4-4 rather than 5-3, and attitude forces you to guess), and on rare occasions you can lead second-lowest and, after seeing dummy, decide whether to play third-lowest ("my opening lead was low!") or lowest ("my opening lead was high!") at trick two. Room for judgement. Oooooh. Scary. Probably a dangerous toy in the hands of novices.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users