BBO Discussion Forums: What do you open - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you open 3rd seat playing precision

Poll: What do you open (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Your opening?

1. 1D (9 votes [28.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.12%

2. 1NT (18 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

3. 2C (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. something else (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-08, 12:06

I would open 2C. I hope partner isn't the kind to compete with random hands with a doubleton club. I really want a club lead if they land in game, it is a suit partner can compete in "effectively" (especially if you don't play a roman/precision 2D) and if we do have game on, 2C will likely make it easier to judge than 1NT. I generally hate opening 1D when there are other options, I find it's completely exposed if you get competition.
Wayne Somerville

#22 User is online   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-08, 12:24

the knr is 12.75 and DK is 12+. Scattered honors are the culprit. I think 1N is a big overbid.

I don't like 2C though it has chances of winning. It might get the right lead and might preempt them into the wrong spot. I don't like it because you have a very balanced hand and only mild preference for clubs; you are probably hoping that the opponents buy the contract and that you don't have to play clubs. I think you're better off if your partner knows whether 2C is a constructive bid (game interest or wanting to play a club part score) or destructive bid (weak two).

Have you considered raising your NT range by a point in 3rd and 4th seat? That might make you feel like you are accomplishing more when you open 1D and rebid 1N with this hand...showing a full opening hand.

Anyway, my vote is for 1D.

#23 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-09, 05:21

If you don't like opening a nebulous diamond
when you have clubs then stop playing precision.

** Exactly, every precision player knows his systemic
** weakness (bid that loses MP/IMP) is the nebulous 1D.
** Let's choose that nebulous 1D when a stops balanced hand presents.
** Eagerly enter into the bid that loses!

#24 User is offline   sassan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tennis, Go

Posted 2011-June-25, 02:39

2 is not an option for me. If partner has some points, you have misguided and pre-empted your side. If partner is weak with no clubs, you will settle for -500. If partner has long clubs with weak hand, you still have a chance to find the fit even if you open 1.

1NT has some merits, but with dubious values of Kx Jxx Qxx, it is not going to work more often than it does. This hand looks like 13 HCP, but hardly has 10 working points. If opposing side has a game somewhere, it means our 1NTX will go down 3 for -500. If they don't have a game, why bother; let them bid it :)

1 seems to be the only choice for me, the system bid and does not pre-empt our side. If they have a game they will bid it and make it, whatever we chose to open. Not to pre-empt opponents with a balanced defensive hand is the correct tactical bid here.

#25 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-25, 12:45

You're missing a Q or J to even considering opening that hand 2 imo. If you are opening this hand, systemically it has to be 1; playing Precision I expect my partner to be able to hit my Club suit more often than the average player over the nebulous 1. An interesting bid (and the one I chose in the poll but might not at the table) is PASS!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#26 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-26, 14:49

I would open a 14-16 1NT and I think it's so normal I find it strange Justin dislikes the bid. Balanced 3 hcp + good 5-card suit = upgrade to 14. Textbook stuff, wtp?

I'm ok with 1 or 2 as well, but 1NT seems to be the most descriptive bid. And it's preemptive as well.

#27 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-26, 15:14

"An interesting bid (and the one I chose in the poll but might not at the table) is PASS!"

I am curious as why you think this is "interesting". You lie to partner, do nothing to pre empt the opps and basically roll over and die.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#28 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-26, 22:39

the hog, on 2011-June-26, 15:14, said:

"An interesting bid (and the one I chose in the poll but might not at the table) is PASS!"

I am curious as why you think this is "interesting". You lie to partner, do nothing to pre empt the opps and basically roll over and die.

It's interesting because I am the only one who said it (possibly for good reason). I prefer my 1NT to be constructive, especially because my two serious partnerships are pretty aggressive over 1NT openings. I also don't feel that 1NT is all that preemptive here, and I think you are just more likely to push good opponents into a game they won't bid otherwise. My partners suck at leading, so while 1 is systemic I don't want them to lead that suit. THAT seems like a lie to me, and with partner being a passed hand, we have no chance at game; we also probably will lose the part-score battle as well. Finally, if the opponents do bid a game, they won't expect an opening hand here, so have a chance of misplaying it. It's not like opening is going to Bidding here is just not a winning option imo.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#29 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-27, 01:13

Firstly a systemic bid is NOT a lie.

Secondly, would you have opened
Axx
AT9xx
x
xxxx
If not, then how can you say you have no chance for game?

Thirdly, bridge does not just consist of bidding games. Don't you want to get a part score?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users