BBO Discussion Forums: my pard say pass in expert consensus - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my pard say pass in expert consensus i disagree

#41 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-28, 15:16

They should lock the doors between these worlds, that's what I think.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#42 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-June-01, 15:49

kenrexford, on 2011-May-27, 11:07, said:

If the concern is over a pass, I think Responder only passes with a stiff and at least four diamonds, personally, and that sounds like a good spot also.

kenrexford, on 2011-May-28, 10:05, said:

...Second, you are not converting 2 to 2 with 1/3 in any world I know.

I agree with han

#43 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 17:20

Whose sig is "gibberish in, gibberish out"?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#44 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-June-01, 17:25

FrancesHinden, on 2011-June-01, 15:49, said:

I agree with han

Let me see if I understand this.

If you have 3/1 and fewer than four spades, the least wild distribution will be 3-1-3-6 pattern. With that pattern, you would surely not convert to 2, right? That would be silliness.

Juxtaposing my two comments suggests a logical flaw. I indicated that I would pass with 1/4, which seems right also. But, the question then is what to bid with 1/3 is you don't pass and you don't correct to 2. The juxtaposition suggests that these are the only two options, in which case I boxed myself in.

However, as I indicated earlier, the least distributional hand for this sequence is 3-1-3-6. Take away a spade, and you have seven clubs. Bidding clubs seems like the solution to that problem. Even with six clubs, bidding clubs looks appealing, as a general rule.

However, this is why I introduced the concept of rebidding 2 with these hands. Spade tolerance (meaning 3-4 spades -- and yes 4 is possible) with long (6-card) clubs and heart intolerance (usually will also have 2-3 diamonds as well). hence, the solution is easily 2 or 3, depending upon the 1/3 specifics in the black suits.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#45 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 19:12

Posted Today, 14:49

If the concern is over a pass, I think Responder only passes with a stiff and at least four diamonds, personally, and that sounds like a good spot also.

...Second, you are not converting 2♦ to 2♥ with 1♥/3♦ in any world I know.

I agree with han

Unfortunately, I can't vote this up more than once. :(
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#46 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-02, 02:09

kenrexford, on 2011-June-01, 17:25, said:

However, as I indicated earlier, the least distributional hand for this sequence is 3-1-3-6. Take away a spade, and you have seven clubs. Bidding clubs seems like the solution to that problem. Even with six clubs, bidding clubs looks appealing, as a general rule.

However, this is why I introduced the concept of rebidding 2 with these hands. Spade tolerance (meaning 3-4 spades -- and yes 4 is possible) with long (6-card) clubs and heart intolerance (usually will also have 2-3 diamonds as well). hence, the solution is easily 2 or 3, depending upon the 1/3 specifics in the black suits.

So now, when you have 3631 opposite 3136 you get to choose between playing 3, 3 or 2, rather than 2.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#47 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-02, 05:09

han, on 2011-May-28, 15:16, said:

They should lock the doors between these worlds, that's what I think.

Yes, we cannot let the demons emerge from the lower plane. The portal must stay shut!

#48 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-June-02, 09:59

whereagles, on 2011-June-02, 05:09, said:

Yes, we cannot let the demons emerge from the lower plane. The portal must stay shut!

Posted Image
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#49 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-02, 14:37

I agree with han

elianna said:

Unfortunately, I can't vote this up anymore than once. :(

I personally would have downvoted. Finding someone contradicting themselves with their own posts is awesome and I'm all for it, however it was pretty obvious that ken was saying partner will bid 3C with 13 in the reds, and only pass with 1-4+. I think that is ridiculous but it did not contradict itself. Frances was the one who looked silly in that post, not ken.

Ken I am always passing without 6 good clubs, ie xxx x KQx J9xxxx or so, I am just passing. I think it is by far a percentage action, even if it risks a 3-3 fit sometimes. Usually we'll have a 4-3 fit and be playing at the 2 level with a ruffing value which is fine, and sometimes we'll find a 5-3 fit and be great. I think sometimes people who post on forums and read bridge problems a lot have a distorted view of how often a certain unlikely but common in problems type of situation happens.

Also, Ken when responding to Gordon was always right that gordon was being a little bit ridiculous, for instance he implied partner might pass 2D with 2-3 in the reds which is indeed a "wtf" moment, and gordon also implied that ken's partner would false preference with 1 heart and 3 diamonds which ken said would not happen, which is true. Gordon was being weirder than Ken.

#50 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-02, 15:30

JLOGIC I think kenrexford was saying that he'd bid 2 on a 3136, I think 3136 and no other shape, but I'm not sure.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#51 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-June-03, 06:47

gwnn, on 2011-June-02, 15:30, said:

JLOGIC I think kenrexford was saying that he'd bid 2 on a 3136, I think 3136 and no other shape, but I'm not sure.

Yes, that's almost exactly what I was saying. With great clubs, you can of course rebid 3 even with 3136. But, with the average or ratty clubs, 2 works.

Will this cause a problem on that rare hand where partner then has 3631? Sure. If those two patterns face each other, opener probably laughs and passes, playing the 3-3 spade fit. The funny thing is that, years ago, these two exact patterns did face each other. My approach at that time was to respond 1 with the three-card suit! Partner then raised to 2 because her hearts sucked. So, we ended up in the 3-3 fit anyway. The humorous thing, though, was that the opponents balanced into some other suit (I think clubs).

If you don't end up in a 3-3 fit ever, you are not bidding right, IMO. LOL

Also, the mere fact that you have a plan for some hand types does not mean that you cannot deviate on occasion. If I were dealt Jxx x AKx 9xxxxx, I'm passing. Screw methods.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#52 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-03, 07:11

The only thing I don't understand then is why did you mention a superaccept of diamonds somewhere upthread? Looks like you don't have it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#53 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-June-03, 22:54

fred, on 2011-May-26, 16:56, said:

I think that opening 1H is quite normal nowadays. I would open 1H and I consider myself sounder than most about such things.What surprises me is the number of people who say they would rebid 2D over 1NT. To me that is one strange bid - rebidding 2H is even more normal than opening 1H in my view.Fred GitelmanBridge Base Inc.www.bridgebase.com

:D Learn to bid from the good players. Rebid 2. Six to the ten opposite two small is where you want to be in a part score. In what other contract can you get THREE tricks?

#54 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:39

gwnn, on 2011-June-03, 07:11, said:

The only thing I don't understand then is why did you mention a superaccept of diamonds somewhere upthread? Looks like you don't have it.

1-1NT
2-3

or

1-1NT
2-4

These two super-accepts.

-P.J. Painter.

#55 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-June-05, 04:02

kenrexford, on 2011-May-27, 10:12, said:

Yeah, but part of that for me is somewhat partnership understanding. As you may suspect, I have a lot of strange partnership understandings. :rolleyes:

The idea?

You start with the concept of what to do generally after forcing 1NT. Generally, I like a 2 rebid to promise four. Thus, for example, with 3532, we would rebid 2 (normally).

You then get to the strange circumstance of 4531. In that situation, 2 seems like too much. I've done it, but it smells ugly. So, yet get an exception that 2 could be three diamonds with a stiff or void in clubs, which means four spades.

You then assume that 2 either shows a heart-diamond two-suiter OR a heart-spade two-suiter (with a diamond fragment).

Once you assume that, then a 2 rebid is a two-way bid. 4630 is closer to a 4531 contextually than it might be otherwise. You are putting more description on the table, in a sense, than a traditional 2 rebid would show.

The "would you rather" discussion is quite misloeading.

"Would you rather play in a 4-3 fit or a 6-2 fit?" Who passes Two Diamonds with 4D/2H?!?!?

"Would you rather play in a 3-3 fit or a 6-1 fit?" If partner has 3-1-3-6, my concern is actually playing in a 6-0 fit, somewhat. Besides, if you play that 1H-1NT-2D-2S (that precise sequence) shows spade tolerance with long clubs, the question becomes, "Would you rather play in a 3-3 fit, a 6-1 fit, or a 4-3 fit?" I like the 4-3 fit.

No problem, if you agree with partner that he never can pass 2.

Oh yes, just a little one, if he is 3-2-4-4, he will bid 3.

All considered, if you do not want P to pass 2, better bid 2, at least he is warned.... and if according to your methods, he was allowed to bid a 4card over 2, he can do that now also now, .... but why did he not bid them on the first round ?

Bob Herreman

#56 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-June-10, 12:28

These kind of hands are great for 1H - 1S invitational-plus relay. If Responder has some values then they respond 1S and Opener can rebid 2C to show the spade suit. If Responder is weak then they either support hearts or bid 4 card suits up the line with 1NT showing spades. So if Responder bids 2D then Opener can pass knowing there is a 5-3 fit. And over 2C we are back with the field in 2H except that Opener will often pass 2C with 3-4 clubs so it makes pushing on to the 3 level less appealing with the aforementioned 3136 shape. If you take all of the awkward possibilities mentioned in this thread and apply this approach it is clear that you end up in a reasonable spot without having to make distorting "expert" bids.
(-: Zel :-)

#57 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-June-10, 13:06

Lurpoa, on 2011-June-05, 04:02, said:

No problem, if you agree with partner that he never can pass 2.

Oh yes, just a little one, if he is 3-2-4-4, he will bid 3.

All considered, if you do not want P to pass 2, better bid 2, at least he is warned.... and if according to your methods, he was allowed to bid a 4card over 2, he can do that now also now, .... but why did he not bid them on the first round ?

I'm not sure that I understand all of this.

-P.J. Painter.

#58 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-June-13, 02:04

kenrexford, on 2011-June-10, 13:06, said:

I'm not sure that I understand all of this.

Maybe I got your partnership understanding wrong.
From your proposal I understood that a 2 bid was forcing, and that is was done to discover a possible fit.

I wanted to say that that is a little dangerous....
I think it is better to bid directly 2, to warn partner that possibly you have a very weak hand in.
If do not suit him, but he has a reasonable hand he still can bid 2, which is forcing one round, to discover a fit.
With a weak hand he simply passes 2, and we stay very low (at the risk of missing a fit): with the 2 bid as you proposes you play at least in 3....or 3...
Isn't it ?
Bob Herreman

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users